The simFlight Network Forums

New PM user with questions

Hello,

Mr. Dowson - big fan here. I am running PM over a network and have been having som videocard related issues but think I have worked them out to some degree. I just noticed that when running WideFS and when I connect my clients to the server - I am getting 6 or 7 or 8 connected - when I only have 4 client computers. Any suggestions or causes and fixes - I probably missed this in the documentation. Thanks

Will Chambers

I just noticed that when running WideFS and when I connect my clients to the server - I am getting 6 or 7 or 8 connected - when I only have 4 client computers. Any suggestions or causes and fixes - I probably missed this in the documentation.

Yes, it does actually explain the number of connections business, as follows (5th para under "Running WideFS"):

Note that the number of current connections is shown in the title bar of Flight Simulator. This may fluctuate if responses to clients aren't currently being sent. This is because the client assumes that a lack of response for many tries means a disconnected link, so opens a new one. The server detects disused links after a while, and closes them, but there's an overlapping period whilst more connections may actually be open than there are clients.

However, if you get this often then you are having some problems. First, please make sure you are using the latest version -- 6.23. If you still get this symptom, check the Log files (WideServer.LOG and WideClient.LOG) -- show bits to me if you want some diagnosis.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Mr. Dowson. I downloaded and installed both the new FSUIPC and WIDEFS. I ran my system with only FS, and the PM Primary Flight Display and MCP - everything worked fine - no delays or lag - could not hanve asked for more. When I added my PrecisionFC CDU to the mix everything stopped with the PFD - I think my ATI videocard just cant keep up the OpenGL. I looked at the WIDEFS log file and the only thing I noticed was a lot of connects to the FMS/CDU computer, lots of timeouts or delays where there was no response. I think at one time FS was indicating 72 connections. I appreciate any suggestions or help. I suspect my next move is to get a new videocard - suggestions?

Thanks

Will Chambers

When I added my PrecisionFC CDU to the mix everything stopped with the PFD - I think my ATI videocard just cant keep up the OpenGL.

What exactly is the PrecisionFC CDU? Is this the separate PFC hardware CDU built with its own PC inside (I have one of those) and running PM's CDU, or something entirely different?

I looked at the WIDEFS log file and the only thing I noticed was a lot of connects to the FMS/CDU computer, lots of timeouts or delays where there was no response.

Errrors logged in the Server Log and/or the Client Log, or what? I cannot see them from here, perhaps you'd like to show me an extract?

It does sound like you may have too much running on the one Client. What processor is it? If it is the PM CDU you are running, on the same PC, then it doesn't indicate an OpenGL problem particularly because I don't think the CDU uses OpenGL. But this sort of thing needs checking with the PM folks.

I think at one time FS was indicating 72 connections. I appreciate any suggestions or help. I suspect my next move is to get a new videocard

If you are running all of the PM components on one slow processor I would thing another (cheap) PC would be a better bet. As I said, I don't think the CDU needs a particularly good video card.

Are you perhaps running with 2 or more separate monitors on the one PC. If so, then it may be the loss of hardware acceleration for OpenGL which is doing it. In that case, possibly later drivers or a new video card may help. But I am the wrong person to help here -- you need some of the PM expertise you will find in the PM Newsgroup.

Regards,

Pete

I am indeed running the PFC FMS/CDU with its own cpu - the unit that comes complete with its own computer - on my network. My network is set up with the PM PFD/ND on one client, the PFC FMS on another, EICAS on another and MCP on another. I really did not see any errors in the log files - just several connections and timeouts. I looked at a recent post on this forum and saw someone else with similar issues but no errors. The PFD/ND computer is a new one with a Pentium4 with 1gig of ram so I don't think its that. The only PM program that needs open GL is the PFD/ND I think. Interestingly I am running 2 monitors off of the PFD/ND computer - out of the same videocard port - just splitting the signal to another monitor. Thanks for your help.

Will

I am indeed running the PFC FMS/CDU with its own cpu - the unit that comes complete with its own computer - on my network. My network is set up with the PM PFD/ND on one client, the PFC FMS on another, EICAS on another and MCP on another.

In such an arrangement there really should never be a problem at all. Sorry, I don't know. I assume that the Network is 100mbps not 10 mbps?

If it is all perfect until you connect the FMS, possibly it is related to attempts by the PM CDU program to access the various common files (NetDir for instance), which it does using the normal Windows file sharing system. There is a check program from PM to make sure all that works properly -- have you run it?

For help in this area you will really need to talk to the PM folks. I get rather lost too.

I really did not see any errors in the log files - just several connections and timeouts.

Well, they really should not occur, because the times allowed are generous. In that sense they really are errors. But you might expect them occasionally, usually when getting FS busy loading new flights, complex aircraft, or scenery/textures. FS can occasionally cause WideServer to slow down enough for clients to timeout.

Have you limited the frame rate in FS, as discussed in the WideFS document? If you let it run free it can make the Server's job too difficult at times.

I looked at a recent post on this forum and saw someone else with similar issues but no errors.

Yes, there weren't even any timeouts and reconnections -- just jerky operation on the PFC. This can be FS frame rates too low, or too high, or, more likely, OpenGL problems. Also having more than one copy of the PFC.EXE running on one PC can cause such problems -- I find I have to set "UserTimer=On" in all but one PFD.ini file else it is intolerable. I think they fight for both OpenGL and WideClient access.

Interestingly I am running 2 monitors off of the PFD/ND computer - out of the same videocard port - just splitting the signal to another monitor.

I don't think that counts as two monitors from the video driver's point of view, so it shouldn't have any adverse affect.

Regards,

Pete