The simFlight Network Forums

Head5ng Bug not responding using PFC remote console

I have FSUIPC 3.22 installed and using PFC remote console on avionic stack. The heading bug does not seem to spin (actually it doesn't keep up) when I spin the heading bug knob.

I tried using FSUIPC to control it and that doesn't seem to do any better even I use Heading Bug Increase Rapid in both positions (press and release)

Is this a polling problem? How do I correct this?

I have FSUIPC 3.22 installed

The current supported version is 3.30.

and using PFC remote console on avionic stack. The heading bug does not seem to spin (actually it doesn't keep up) when I spin the heading bug knob.

Are you using my PFC.DLL? You should mention the version of that too. Current is 1.90. I don't support old versions.

Anyway, if you turn it too fast the firmware in the hardware cannot send the signals across quickly enough. Turn it more slowly.

Regards

Pete

Actually I turning the knob unrealistical slow and it still doesn't keep up. Changed after installing FSUIPC. The PFC.dll (i believe the most current one I have is 1.90) is installed. I'd be glad to install newest one but older combination worked fine.

Jim

Actually I turning the knob unrealistical slow and it still doesn't keep up. Changed after installing FSUIPC.

Something doesn't make sense there -- PFC.DLL depends upon FSUIPC and will not work without it!

I'd be glad to install newest one but older combination worked fine.

What "older combination"? You've mentioned nothing about that! All you said was you were using FSUIPC 3.22, which is out of date. You didn't even mention PFC.DLL originally.

Please re-check with version 3.30 of FSUIPC. I cannot investigate any problems with older versions.

Regards,

Pete

Calm down Pete. My message wasn't that difficult to interpret.

I had an older version of FSUIPC (perhaps 3.0) then I updated to the newer version 3.22 and the newest vrsion of PFC.dll on the pFC website. It was at this time that the heading bug seemed to "slow down" When I spin the knob on the RIC, even very slowly, the heading bug seems to be not responding or responds very slowly. I tried to correct by using the buttn assignment within FSUIPC (tried using "rapid increase" and "regular increase"). This doesn't give the added response either. Rapid increase seems to jump the bug around. Is there any meaning to the parameter setting within FSUIPC for this function?

I have downloaded the 3.3 version of FSUIPC and will load, but I doubt this will have any effect as the function used to work fine.

I had an older version of FSUIPC (perhaps 3.0) then I updated to the newer version 3.22 and the newest vrsion of PFC.dll on the pFC website. It was at this time that the heading bug seemed to "slow down"

It would help enormously if you could be more precise. I can't understand what changes could have caused this on your system. The only change in the programming of the RIC dials in the last months has been to take notice of the "fast" mode they supply to add/subtract 10 times the minimum increment, so in fact the reaction is faster for the faster turning rate. But that change made it faster, and was a long time ago!

When I spin the knob on the RIC, even very slowly, the heading bug seems to be not responding or responds very slowly.

With FSUIPC 3.30 and PFC 1.90?

I tried to correct by using the buttn assignment within FSUIPC

There is no way programming the Heading dial to adjuust the heading through standard FS increment and decrement controls will ever be better than the direct control exercised by the default way the PFC driver handles it. For all such numerical adjustments (Heading, Course, Altitude, V/S, Speed, Mach) the PFC programming bypasses all the inefficiencies of using FS controls and actually works on the values insude FS. I spent a lot of time making that the most effective it could be.

Please delete the FSUIPC programming for the knobs and retry it with PFC as it is. But please use FSUIPC 3.30. A lot has changed since FSUIPC 3.22 and I want to be sure we are talking about the same thing before I start investigating something which may not need investigating. At present, due to my eyes, I am severely limited in terms of PC work at present, so I can't afford to waste time. Sorry.

I have downloaded the 3.3 version of FSUIPC and will load, but I doubt this will have any effect as the function used to work fine.

If it used to work fine, and then, after a change in the software, stopped working fine, why are you now so skeptical that another change won't put it right again? That isn't logical.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I have all the newest PFC and FSUIPC dlls installed.

I am not using the FSUIPC to control the Heading bug with the RIC.

The bug turns much slower than the altimeter setting within the kollsman window when turning the corresponding knobs at the same rate. The heading bug will sit on one setting for a few seconds while turning the heading bug knob on the RIC.

It was never this slow before and was wondering if you could give me some ideas on what to check.

JIm

The bug turns much slower than the altimeter setting within the kollsman window when turning the corresponding knobs at the same rate.

Is this with default panels? Maybe sometihng in the aircraft panel you are using is failing to redraw the value or bug position at a decent speed?

The heading bug will sit on one setting for a few seconds while turning the heading bug knob on the RIC.

That sounds rather like a hardware problem then. A few seconds? Phew!

The only change on the PFC driver in any of this was to adjust up or down in 10's at the fast rate -- in fact it is more intelligent than that. It will go to the next mulitple of 10 up or down, so you can get to any value very quickly in 10's then turn it slower to adjust the units. This has been working perfectly on my two systems since it was implemented back in 1.844, as described in the User documentation thus:

The heading changes from the RIC or Jetliner Console are now made to multiples of 10 degrees when turned quickly, and 1 degree when turned slowly. Previously the fast turning was incrementing the 10's digit, but odd slow indications input at the same time made it more difficult to set the value quickly and exactly. This applies to the FS default A/P heading and to Project Magenta.
It was never this slow before and was wondering if you could give me some ideas on what to check.

"Before" what? You need to see what you may have changed, but possible avenues to explore are (a) aircraft panel problems, or (b) hardware problems -- in the latter case you'd need to get in touch with PFC.

Regards,

Pete