The simFlight Network Forums

Anyone care to help me a little?

can anyone take a shot at helping me out a bit. I have read the manual in total and I have it open right now the correct area.

Problem;

I have a CH yoke, it contains a hat switch on the right handle. It is an 8 way switch. The upper right area of the switch as never worked well (very very intermittent). I use FS9 and this would represent the forwardright view (however, 95% of the time I get the UP view - bad switch).

I purchased FSUIPC primarily to show support and have only utilized the 'battery life' option to date. But now I have been struggling a bit to try to 'map'(?) a button to work for me.

I would like it if I moved the hat switch down, it would show me the forward right view (vs. the look back view) since I have no problem activating this 'back' view. In fact all other view also work well except this dang forwardright.

What I have done;

FSUIPC - buttons tab

placed the cursor into the box to the right of the PRESS word

I moved the hat switch to the bottom

Joy# reads 0, Btn# reads 36

I then select the box next to 'Select for key press'

then, in the upper of the two 'boxes' (above Set and Clear), I press the Set button, it states PRESS KEY

at this point I press the keypad 9 key (FS9 view forward right)

FSUIPC displays Num9 in the box

I press OK in the lower right and FSUIPC closes

However, this technique appears to do nothing with the hat switch

Can anyone step me though this a little bit??

thanks

p.s. Pete, thanks for the wind shift fix, great job

What I have done;

FSUIPC - buttons tab

placed the cursor into the box to the right of the PRESS word

No need for a cursor any place. It isn't used as there is no text input.

I moved the hat switch to the bottom

Joy# reads 0, Btn# reads 36

Have you disabled FS's programming for the hat? You need to go into FS Options-Controls-Assignments, find where the Hat is programmed, and delete the assignment. Otherwise the two will be conflicting.

Then program all 8 directions in FSUIPC. They will be numbered 32 to 39 clockwise from forward.

I then select the box next to 'Select for key press'

Ugh. The keyboard facility is really only provided for support of those add-ons which need keypress combinations to work correctly. For FS there are controls for almost everything (and some added by FSUIPC). Use the FS Controls side of the dialogue, and find the View controls. There will be a lot to choose from, but this is the normal view sequence for the hat:

VIEW_FORWARD	
VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT	
VIEW_RIGHT	
VIEW_REAR_RIGHT	
VIEW_REAR	
VIEW_REAR_LEFT	
VIEW_LEFT	
VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT

Regards,

Pete

thanks for the advice, I did it but was a bit disapointed that it disable the 'pan' feature within the VC. Thus it worked beautifully in the 2d mode but unfortunatly also snapped to the 8 views in the VC (no panning)

bummed, I really thought I had it licked. It figures that the first time I try to use this FSUIPC feature, it is with probably the most difficult button to program;

The HAT panning button.

Thanks for your help, I at least exhausted that avenue for a fix.

much appreciated

Mike

thanks for the advice, I did it but was a bit disapointed that it disable the 'pan' feature within the VC. Thus it worked beautifully in the 2d mode but unfortunatly also snapped to the 8 views in the VC (no panning)

Thanks for your help, I at least exhausted that avenue for a fix.

Sorry, you didn't say you wanted PANning actions, not directly selected views. The Pan controls are different. These are:

PAN_DOWN	
PAN_LEFT	
PAN_LEFT_DOWN	
PAN_LEFT_UP	
PAN_RESET	
PAN_RIGHT	
PAN_RIGHT_DOWN	
PAN_RIGHT_UP	
PAN_TILT_LEFT	
PAN_TILT_RIGHT	
PAN_UP	
PAN_VIEW

Of those you probably only want pan up/down and left/right, so you could save one other of the 8 directions for the 'reset' to get you looking straight again.

If you keep swapping between 2D and VC cockpits (why?), and you want one mode in one and the other mode in the other then you are really better off using the FS built-in hat programming, which allows for this. Either that or investigate FSUIPC's conditional programming facilities using flags, with a spare button or keypress to swap between the two modes -- that stuff is covered in the FSUIPC Advanced User's documentation and involves editing the INI file yourself. You can't do that sort of thing via the options dialogues.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete, let me explain a bit.

I am using PMDG's 737 and also various other payware aircraft. In these I can select '2D cockpit, no VC', which I prefer for frame rate considerations.

Now, when I am in the 2D cockpit, and change views I get the static bmp's, and that is fine. However, when I select FORWARDRIGHT I get the UP view (again, bad switch). With that being said, when I toggle the view modes (i.e. tower, spot ect) I can get to the PAN(?) mode. This will show me kind of 'outside' the aircraft (NOT spot view). This is nice to be able to pan around and see things, specifically things to the front and right. This work well as it can smoothly pan around.

So, when I set up these view modes (forward, forwardright, ect) in FSUIPC they worked great, in the 2D cockpit view, then I toggle through the view modes and get to that 'outside NON spot view' and I can no longer smoothly pan, but instead still get the stepping front, frontright, ect.

My ultimate goal is to use FSUIPC to step in the 2D mode (thus assigning the BACK view to read FORWARDRIGHT- thus bypassing the bad part of the switch) but still maintaining the 'smooth' panning option for that 'outside' view (man, I wish I knew the correct name for that).

Ok, now that I have completely confused you, got take a nice break,

:-)

p.s. I think you live is London (at least UK) is that right??

My ultimate goal is to use FSUIPC to step in the 2D mode (thus assigning the BACK view to read FORWARDRIGHT- thus bypassing the bad part of the switch) but still maintaining the 'smooth' panning option for that 'outside' view (man, I wish I knew the correct name for that).

You may need to program conditionals into FSUIPC.INI to do that.

p.s. I think you live is London (at least UK) is that right??

UK, yes, but Stoke-on-Trent, not London.

Regards,

Pete