The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick Headings in FS9.cfg

Hello Pete,

I've gone through the manual and read up on joystick settings. I'm running Win2K and FS2004.

First thing, I can't find any explanation of AXIS_FLAGS. You have it listed in the JOYSTICK_00 and 01 areas. Is it important for us to know it's purpose or just ignore it?

I understand what your stating about finding the joystick headings.

(ie: [JOYSTICK_MAIN {5CDACB90-DD73-11D8-8003-444553540000}] )

I have four controllers assigned but only three headings. I have determined which three controllers they're associated with. Here's my problem. There isn't one for the CH pedals.

All my controllers are USB attached. A CH Flight Sim Yoke LE, CH Pedals, Saitek HOTAS and GoFligh's TQ-6.

So now what?

Nevermind, I found my problem.

[JOYSTICK_MAIN {5CDACB90-DD73-11D8-8003-444553540000}]

[JOYSTICK_MAIN {5CDACB90-DD73-11D8-8002-444553540000}]

[JOYSTICK_MAIN {4B5E0310-DDAE-11D8-8001-444553540000}]

[JOYSTICK_MAIN {5CDF8680-DD73-11D8-8019-444553540000}]

I didn't look close enough to the headings.

WAIT!!! I'm back... Next question...

I know I can assign buttons to specific aircraft. Can I do the same with axis'?

Here's what I want to be able to do...

I stated before I have a yoke and a H.O.T.A.S. So, for example, with a Cessna, I'd like to control it with the yoke, with an F-14, the H.O.T.A.S.

If I can't? Do you think that would be benificial for everyone to implement? I do. I hear quite a few people wishing there was a multi-config in FS just like your aircraft specific buttons. Even with GoFlight equipment.

But take care of your eyes... :wink:

First thing, I can't find any explanation of AXIS_FLAGS. You have it listed in the JOYSTICK_00 and 01 areas. Is it important for us to know it's purpose or just ignore it?

In FS2000 the axis flags merely defined which axes were present. One bit for each, so "31" means axes 0 through 4 are present. I don't know if these are still used. Things changed a lot in FS2002 when they changed it all to DirectInput. The examples in the FSUIPC User Guide are from FS2000, when I last understood it.

Anyway, you won't need to edit that parameter, it is either there or it isn't.

I have four controllers assigned but only three headings. I have determined which three controllers they're associated with. Here's my problem. There isn't one for the CH pedals.

I have heard of cases where there are no entries at all. I think FS2002 and FS2004 may be using the defaults in the "DEVICES.CFG" file when there's been no changes made, and only enter the details in the FS CFG file when you have made changes.

So now what?

So now what what? What is it you want to do?

Regards,

Pete

I know I can assign buttons to specific aircraft. Can I do the same with axis'?

You can only assign buttons for specific aircraft via FSUIPC. FS doesn't provide such a facility.

I've not yet got around to dealing with axis assignments in FSUIPC. Sorry.

I stated before I have a yoke and a H.O.T.A.S. So, for example, with a Cessna, I'd like to control it with the yoke, with an F-14, the H.O.T.A.S.

You could assign both at the same time, via the multiple controls facilities in FSUIPC. This is described in the Advanced Users guide. Provided when not in use the controls are not interfering, this will work. Just ensure they are calibrated so that they are stable at "zero" when left "parked".

If I can't? Do you think that would be benificial for everyone to implement? I do. I hear quite a few people wishing there was a multi-config in FS just like your aircraft specific buttons. Even with GoFlight equipment.

The multiple control facilities already there (which have been there for some time now) are in use by many users successfully. They were really originally intended for pilot/co-pilot pairs, using identical controls. With different types you will need to calibrate them well in Windows to give similar results, as in FSUIPC there will still only be the one airleron, one elevator, one rudder calibration, no matter how many different inputs. But it is do-able.

Developing an axis handling facility which is as flexible and useful as I would want is not a trivial task and may in fact warrant a separate program. I have had designs for this on my desk for a year or two, but there's always too much to do to allow me to embark upon such a project. One day, perhaps. Meanwhile I'm sure you can solve it with what is already available. Others have.

Regrds,

Pete