The simFlight Network Forums

Go Flight TQ6 Throttle Qudarant problems

Having spent a large sum of money purchasing the above throttle quadrant and registering FSUIPC, I am becoming increasingly more impatient in not being able to get these two to work togther.

Let me say from the outset I would consider myself not all that technical 'savy'. However, I find the instrutions for FSUIPC very hard to follow and after many hours trying Comm 1 and then Comm 2 (the only 2 ports available according to FSUIPC) I have almost given up.

In short the FSUIPC program does not recognise any of the levers and provides a number of spurious settings.

Given the marketing publicity that has gone with the introduction of Go-Flight controls,I am sincerely hoping that it is my lack of expertise that is the problem and not any problems between these two products which has not been reported at the point of sale.

Regards Phil R

I am sincerely hoping that it is my lack of expertise that is the problem

I don't mean to be rude, but yes it is. There is a section in the manual describing Joystick headings and assignments. You'll need to open the FS9.CFG file and determine which joystick heading is linked with your TQ-6. It took me a while but it is possible. After determining the correct heading, you then need to manually set the assignments.

After that is complete, FSUIPC will recognize the TQ-6 "in the correct place" The TQ-6 functions just like a game controller. Make sure you have de-selected ALL assignments in FS2004 before trying to get it to function correctly. Be sure to follow this order...

After opening the assignments page...

Click on the AXIS SETTINGS Tab

Click the NORMAL FLIGHT radio button

Click the DEVICE (TQ-6)

After deleting the fowling assignments Click OK.

FS2004 has the tendency to add assignments. If you don't click OK after each set of changes, you may have problems. Meaning, after changes to my yoke, I click OK and go through the process again for my Stick.

Hope this helps... Pete?

Having spent a large sum of money purchasing the above throttle quadrant and registering FSUIPC, I am becoming increasingly more impatient in not being able to get these two to work togther.

Why do you want to use FSUIPC for the GoFlight TQ6? I don't see the connection. Go Flight themselves provide drivers. FSUIPC is only of any use in programming some GoFlight buttons in some ways that GoFlight may not be able to.

I find the instrutions for FSUIPC very hard to follow and after many hours trying Comm 1 and then Comm 2 (the only 2 ports available according to FSUIPC) I have almost given up.

COM ports? I really think you have got something extremely mixed up and wrong here.

First, the GoFlight equipment (which is really nothing to do with me) is USB connected and driven by GoFlight's own USB drivers.

Second, no COM ports at all are supported by FSUIPC. It is not a device driver, it has no provision whatsoever for connecting anything at all, whether COM port or USB. I have no idea where on Earth you are seeing that it supports "only" ports COM1 and COM2 when it supports none whatsoever!

In short the FSUIPC program does not recognise any of the levers and provides a number of spurious settings.

FSUIPC does not support levers at all. It is not intended to and never was.

If you have problems getting GoFlight euqipment to work with their drivers, you need to ask GoFlight support. I cannot help you. I am not inmvolved with GoFlight and they are no my products.

You need to read documentation that comes with your TQ6, not FSUIPC.

Regards,

Pete

After that is complete, FSUIPC will recognize the TQ-6 "in the correct place"

Hope this helps... Pete?

I must admit I am completely confused by all this. Doesn't GoFlight supply any software to drive FS with the TQ6?

FSUIPC was never meant to be a joystick driver, and isn't now. All its joystick section does is intercept the FS controls. FS still need to recognise the device and scan it for the axes to work.

FSUIPC does have button scanning incorporated, so it can program buttons, but no axis stuff at all.

Can you explain why you found it necessary to do all those things with the TQ6 and not use GoFlight software, please?

I've got a little bit of GoFlight gear I purchased a while ago, which is how I test the button re-programming. But I've not yet got a TQ6 -- maybe there are problems with the GoFlight TQ6 software? I'm sure GoFLight would be interested in this feedback, if so.

Regards,

Pete

I must admit I am completely confused by all this. Doesn't GoFlight supply any software to drive FS with the TQ6?

Yes they do.

FSUIPC was never meant to be a joystick driver, and isn't now. All its joystick section does is intercept the FS controls. FS still need to recognise the device and scan it for the axes to work.

All GoFlight's Config program does is tell FS what the lever's functions do. If I don't assign anything to the TQ-6 levers, I could still use FS's assignments. Your right, obviously. I didn't intent to imply that FSUIPC created any form of "driver" function.

FSUIPC does have button scanning incorporated, so it can program buttons, but no axis stuff at all.

Then there is probably a miscommunication of terminology. FSUIPC does recognize my TQ-6 throttles (levers) in the joystick tab. They are treated just like any other throttle control. That's If I have the correct settings in the FS9.cfg

Can you explain why you found it necessary to do all those things with the TQ6 and not use GoFlight software, please?

I didn't find it necessary. I was curious. Just wondering If I could make all function assignments through FSUIPC. And for the most part I could. I was just trying to eleminate 3 programs from operating the same button/lever. Example, I could tell the GoFlight software that lever "A" is for flaps. I could then tell FS directly that Lever "A" is for spoilers. And then tell FSUIPC (Via the FS9.cfg) that the function for Lever "A" is Prop Pitch. That same goes for button asignments.

I've got a little bit of GoFlight gear I purchased a while ago, which is how I test the button re-programming. But I've not yet got a TQ6 -- maybe there are problems with the GoFlight TQ6 software? I'm sure GoFLight would be interested in this feedback, if so.

I found no conflicts directly related to software, just user assignments.

Hope I didn't mess anything up for you. Just trying to help. Want me to stop?

Sincerely,

Joe

FSUIPC does recognize my TQ-6 throttles (levers) in the joystick tab. They are treated just like any other throttle control. That's If I have the correct settings in the FS9.cfg

Yes, but FSUIPc is not actually reading the joystick values, it is intercepting the final FS control values -- in this case for the throttle. There's no actual axis assignments nor handling at present in FSUIPC, only manipulation of the parameters being sent to the simulation engine (SIM1.DLL). All the assignments need to be first sorted out in FS.

Example, I could tell the GoFlight software that lever "A" is for flaps. I could then tell FS directly that Lever "A" is for spoilers. And then tell FSUIPC (Via the FS9.cfg) that the function for Lever "A" is Prop Pitch.

The latter is where at least one misunderstanding lies -- you do not tell FSUIPC anything via the FS9.cfg file. That is telling FS, so it is in fact exactly the same as assigning the axis in FS assignments (except the latter is a lot easier! :wink: ).

I don't understand what the GoFlight software is doing assigning axes separately. Guess I'll have to wait until I get a TQ6 to understand that part.

Hope I didn't mess anything up for you. Just trying to help. Want me to stop?

No no, it isn't messed up. Just a tad confusing. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

The latter is where at least one misunderstanding lies -- you do not tell FSUIPC anything via the FS9.cfg file. That is telling FS, so it is in fact exactly the same as assigning the axis in FS assignments

Okay, I didn't catch that before. Duh! You probably said it, what... four or five times. From now on, I do better at listening.

I don't understand what the GoFlight software is doing assigning axes separately. Guess I'll have to wait until I get a TQ6 to understand that part.

I think their intention was to have a single localized place to configure the GoFlight equipment. They always say to un-assign any FS assignments. But either method, assigning via GoFlight or FS, works fine as long as the opposite is unassigned.

Joe