The simFlight Network Forums

Checking for Dual Assignments

Here is a Lesson Learned I thought I would share.

I had programmed a button to activate my GPS. After changing aircraft, the assignments had to change. So then, I made the assignment "aircraft specific" (A/S)

When I was in flight I selected my GPS activation button and got the radio in addition. Took me a while to figure out, that with the initial assignment (not A/S) not being removed first, I was receiving the initial assignment AND the A/S assignment.

I little planning can avoid this annoying but harmless oops.

Joe

When I was in flight I selected my GPS activation button and got the radio in addition. Took me a while to figure out, that with the initial assignment (not A/S) not being removed first, I was receiving the initial assignment AND the A/S assignment.

Was the first assignment done in FS, not FSUIPC? FSUIPC cannot override FS button assignments, only keyboard assignments (as it can intercept the messages for those).

If they were both done in FSUIPC, then something is wrong. When you program a button to be "aircraft specific" then the general programming for that button should be overridden -- it can stand as the "default" action for that button on aircraft which you'vve not specifically programmed.

It works like that here. Please let me know if it doesn't there (with FSUIPC 3.30), and provide some details so I can investigate.

Regards,

Pete

The assignments in FS for panel selection did not change.

It was a "key" assignment problem. I had first selected a GoFlight button to open the GPS via SHFT+2. I then changed aircraft. Found that the new aircraft required SHFT+3. So I then did another assignment which was aircraft specific. I then received the comm panel and the GPS SHFT+2 and SHFT+3. I went to the original aircraft, unassigned the button assignment of SHFT+2 and re-assigned as aircraft specific.

Problem solved.

It was a "key" assignment problem. I had first selected a GoFlight button to open the GPS via SHFT+2.

In the Goflight software or in FSUIPC's Buttons page?

... I then did another assignment which was aircraft specific. I then received the comm panel and the GPS SHFT+2 and SHFT+3.

If both the general assignment to the button and the new one were both done in FSUIPC, then only one should operate at a time -- the aircraft specific one when that aircraft is loaded, and the other one for all other aircraft. That is the way it is designed to work, and it is the way itr operates here.

On the other hand if one of the assignments was done in GoFlight software or in FS's own assignments then FSUIPC will know nothing about that and so would not be able to overrise it.

Please clarify. I need to know if you have come across a bug in FSUIPC. I would need to be able to reprocudice it. Are you using FSUIPC 3.30, and were both assignments in FSUIPC?

Problem solved.

I'm still anxious to identify the problem, please. If it is a bug it needs to be fixed.

BTW there are FS controls for panel selection. Using the keypress is okay but not so efficient. FS will look up the keypress in its keypress assignments first to see what to do. They don't have to be Shift+1 to 9.

Regards,

Pete

Those assignments were in FSUIPC 3.30 only. I had the buttons "unassigned" in Goflight.

I'm currently running a defrag. Taking forever...

If I can duplicate this situation, I'll send you a detailed list via PM. If not, I will consider it operator error.

Afterwards, I'll check out what you said about the FSControls.

Joe

Pete,

I found the problem. It is not a bug. In case your not familiar with the TQ-6... There are six levers labled A thru F from left to right. Along with Levers B thru E are thrust reverse levers which are actually designed as buttons. I have two of my thrust reverse levers taken out for my twin prop config on levers B and E. This way I can get a high range of motion from B and E. When I was assigning buttons, I apparently had lever E up full which would depress the thrust reverse button, even though the TR lever was removed. So, not realizing FSUIPC was detecting the other button press, I made thought it was a double assignment on FSUIPC's part.

Since that error was discovered, I have no objection to removing this entire thread to avoid confusion.

Really, sorry about that. I'll start paying more attention to what I'm doing.

Sincerely,

Joe

In case your not familiar with the TQ-6...

Not yet, but I am expecting one soon!

I apparently had lever E up full which would depress the thrust reverse button, even though the TR lever was removed. So, not realizing FSUIPC was detecting the other button press, I made thought it was a double assignment on FSUIPC's part.

Ah! I see (I think)thanks for the explanation, and I am so glad it is not an FSUIPC bug! :D

Since that error was discovered, I have no objection to removing this entire thread to avoid confusion.

No, I prefer to leave these things inthey are all educational in their own way and I'm sure it will help more than hinder!

Regards,

Pete