The simFlight Network Forums

Reverse thrust control

Hi,

Pete, I hope you are feeling better.

I have a question regarding the use of the mixture lever as the reverse thrust control on the CH yoke. I got the mixture lever to work as the reverse thrust but only after I press the F2 key, which is the keyboard's reverse thrust.

The mixture control will work OK for a short while but then I have to "jump start" the mixture lever again by pressing the F2 key. I'm sure it's something simple to fix - I'm just not sure what. I have tried different settings in FSUIPC but the problem remains.

I appreciate any suggestion you might have regarding this situation. Thanks.

Tom Capraro

I got the mixture lever to work as the reverse thrust but only after I press the F2 key, which is the keyboard's reverse thrust.

It sounds like you have not calibrated the normal (forward thrust) throttle well enough to ensure that it is truly stable at idle (zero) when pulled right back. That's always been the reason so far when folks have had such problems.

The mixture control will work OK for a short while but then I have to "jump start" the mixture lever again by pressing the F2 key.

Yes, this is because FS is, at intervals, seeing a forward thrust value from your main throttle -- it is probably jittering slightly.

Calibrate it with a decent null zone in FS, or more accurately in FSUIPC. When brought back to idle the reading for the 'ouput' in FSUIPC must be zero, every time. Push it back and forth. If you ever see an output other than zero when it is pulled back, you need to allow more of a dead zone.

These things vary somewhat with humidity and temperature, so what works now might not work in six months. Check it now and then or make a significant null zone.

You cannot engage reverse thrust without the main throttle being in idle. It is this way on the real thing too (though there is a mechanical interlock there as well).

Regards,

Pete