The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC ATC, SOUND AND VOLUME

Pete

Iam trying to write an external program which simulates all of the functionality of the Bendix King radio tranceiver but have come unstuck in several places.

1. I wish to display a transmit or receive flag when the com channe is in this state.

2.I also wish to mix in a sound of radio noise when auto squelch is disabled.

3.And finally control the volume of individual sounds i.e Nav1 , Nav2 , Com1 etc.

Ihave looked for an offset but cannot find one.

Can you or anyone else out there please point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much.

Steve

1. I wish to display a transmit or receive flag when the com channe is in this state.

Unfortunately the FS COM simulation has either COM1 or COM2 in TX state all the time, with the same one or both in RX state. There's no "PTT" mechanism actually simulated.

2.I also wish to mix in a sound of radio noise when auto squelch is disabled.

That doesn't appear to be simulated either.

3.And finally control the volume of individual sounds i.e Nav1 , Nav2 , Com1 etc.

I'm afraid I don't know how to get to those. It's all tied in with DirectSound COM type interfaces and gets pretty complicated when trying to hack through disassembled code. I never got very far.

For ATC I actually use Radar Contact. There are many who use on-line (Internet) ATC of course, via Roger Wilco and the like. I expect both of these to be more worthy of such realism.

Regards

Pete

OK Thanks for your help and for responding so quickly.

On a seperate note. For the ADF is it posible to lookup NDB locations based on frequency and return position in order that I may calculate the bearing to the NDB using a frequency other than NAV1 or NAV2.

Thanks

Steve

On a seperate note. For the ADF is it posible to lookup NDB locations based on frequency and return position in order that I may calculate the bearing to the NDB using a frequency other than NAV1 or NAV2.

Not in that fashion through FSUIPC. You would need to use a database and look it up -- maybe one derived from scanning the Navaid content of BGLs, or maybe from a separate source.

If you are within reception range (distance and altitude) of an NDB then you could do it by setting the frequency in the ADF radio and reading the bearing at offset 0C6A. The flag in offset 3300 will tell you when reception is ok -- you have to allow a second or two after tuning.

If you want to avoid mucking up the user's ADF settings, you could try using ADF2, which FS2004 does support -- the bearing is then in 02D8. I think to make ADF2 operational you would have to alter the AIRCRAFT.CFG file though -- there's a Radios section and you can add a line for ADF2 there. You don't need a gauge for it for what you need.

Regards,

Pete