The simFlight Network Forums

Calibrating GoFlight's TQ-6 for thrust Reversing in FS9

Hi Pete and others interested,

For a while now (about two weeks) I've been trying to calibrate my GoFlight TQ-6 to allow Thrust Reverse. I've been reluctant to ask why it isn't working as I had expected, because I was afraid Pete would yell at me about reading the manual. :lol: I'm glad I didn't ask because I found the problem and I think the solution. :wink:

The Problem:

Getting Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9) to recognize the "reverse" portion of the throttle wasn't a problem at all. However, it still treated the "reverse" as an on/off toggle. If I went down past idle the throttles would pause until I got to max reverse and then engage the reversers.

Possible or Partial Solution:

GoFlight's Config program allows the user to make control assignments from outside of FS9. FSUIPC still recognizes the throttle inputs but something wasn't quite right. I then went back to GoFlights config software and unassigned the throttles. I then made the assignments in FS9 set the Sens/Null to max/min. The throttles are now working as expected, kind of (see next para). As I go into reverse, the amount of change is smooth.

However, one thing still remains and Pete, this is for you. I hope I can describe it correctly. There is a big gap in the idle area. As per the manual (I think :? ), On page 3 of the Joystick tab, I set the throttles to MIN and pushed the REVERSE set button. I then set the throttle to IDLE and pushed the IDLE set button and then FULL throttle and pushed the MAX set button.

Here are the IN/OUT numbers I'm getting...

567 IN = 59  OUT

378 IN = 0    OUT (beginning of gap, not where I thought idle would be)

-10208 IN = 0    OUT (end of gap but what I think should be idle)

-10397 IN = 133 OUT (beginning of reverse, this is good)

The sets of numbers are consecutive, meaning, there are no other in/out settings between 567 & 378 or -10208 & -10397. What am I missing?

In one section of the manual titled "ADDITIONAL AXIS CONTROLS (Reverser, Trims and Cowl Flaps)" my understanding is that this is for setting an axis just for those individual controls, right?

Now, I know you don't have a TQ-6 (yet?), but I am hoping you may still have an answer for me.

I do have one recommendation about your manual. I think a Table of Contents would be very helpful.

Thanks for the software, your time and support,

Joe

I was afraid Pete would yell at me

Me, yell? :shock:

On page 3 of the Joystick tab, I set the throttles to MIN and pushed the REVERSE set button. I then set the throttle to IDLE and pushed the IDLE set button and then FULL throttle and pushed the MAX set button.

That's wrong. You have to set the Idle range -- you will see on the screen in front of you, in the Idle (central) position TWO numbers, not one. You cannot have just an idle "spot" -- if you did how would you always be able to locate it? You have to have a range of movement where all is idle. So you set Full Reverse, then the TWO idle spots, defining the range, then the full forward.

Here's where I get, justifiably I think, to do the yelling :D . See this part of the documentation. I've emboldened the bits you ignored:

5. For controls which have centres (aileron, elevator, rudder, trim and the separate throttle and propeller pitch controls where centre is between forward and reverse), position the control in its centre, détente or default position. Pressing the centre “Set” button will enter the value in one or other of the two boxes beneath. Each time you press Set the alternate value is recorded, and the boxes show the two most recent values in order (lower above higher). If the values are the same you will have no dead zone around the centre.

If you want to be able to simply take your hands and feet off the controls and expect them to centre well automatically, you will almost certainly need a central dead zone. You can either:

* simply push/pull/swivel the controls in different directions and let go, so that they centre with their normal variation, and press the centre Set for the two most extreme values you get for the supposedly centred control, or

* more precisely, move the control one way a little, press the centre Set, then the other way a little, and press Set again. This way you get to choose the size of the dead zone with more precision.

Skipping one of the 'Set' actions needed meant you got a default value for one end of the idle range -- hence your big idle range. Couldn't you see this from the values shown after you'd set the others? You quote your IN and OUT values, but the important ones are the 4 calibration values under the Set buttons. It is those which you effectively chose and those which control the show.

Now maybe you skipped this whole section because you didn't regard the idle as a "centre", but, please think again. It IS between the full reverse and the full forward. See the italicised bit above. And you must surely have realised that you needed more than a single point in the travel which represented idle?

Okay. Shouting mode off :wink: ...

I do have one recommendation about your manual. I think a Table of Contents would be very helpful.

Yes, but documentation is the biggest pain for us programmers, and such organisation makes it a type of hell on Earth. Sorry. :(

Regards,

Pete

5. For controls which have centres (aileron, elevator, rudder,

This is where my "programmers" mind got me. I did read the small part shown above. But in my programming mentality, I see that as an IF THEN statement. I do agree with you that my throttle has a center or idle position. It's just that when I read the part above I concluded it was refering to devices with built in centering.

Now maybe you skipped this whole section because you didn't regard the idle as a "centre", but, please think again.

I'll try to do a little more thinking Pete. But, perhaps this is one area that could be reworded? Not sure how. Reading the WHOLE para. it make perfect sence... I feel so silly, I can only laugh at myself.

Thanks

Okay, I did exactly as you said and guess what? It works perfectly, how about that!

I should hope so! It has since it was implemented back in FS2000 days. :D

Oh, also, despite the documentation having stood the way it is since then too, I have taken your advice and changed it, subtly, to try to avoid the confusion you found yourself in. Maybe this will make up a little for my continued omission of a ToC. :wink:

Section 5 will now read:

5. For controls which have centres or intermediate ‘idle’ positions (aileron, elevator, rudder, trim and the separate throttle and propeller pitch controls where centre (idle) is between forward and reverse), position the control in its centre, détente or default position. Pressing the centre “Set” button will enter the value in one or other of the two boxes beneath. Each time you press Set the alternate value is recorded, and the boxes show the two most recent values in order (lower above higher). If the values are the same you will have no dead zone around the centre.

If you want to be able to simply take your hands and feet off the controls and expect them to centre well automatically, you will almost certainly need a central dead zone. You will also need one on a throttle or other control with a reverse range, otherwise finding idle will certainly be a problem.

You can either:

* simply push/pull/swivel the controls in different directions and let go, so that they centre with their normal variation, and press the centre Set for the two most extreme values you get for the supposedly centred control, or

* more precisely, and the only way with throttles and other levers, move the control one way a little, press the centre Set, then the other way a little, and press Set again. This way you get to choose the size of the dead zone with more precision.

Good flying!

Pete