The simFlight Network Forums

Project Magenta EICAS ECAM

I am running Project Magenta ECAM on a dedicated computer in a 5 computer network and I would like to assign a Joystick Button to cycle through the EICAS pages (Bleed, F.CTRL, APU, etc.). The keypress required by the Project Magenta program to cycle through (F7 Function (Dual -Upper & Lowere Engine) of th ABGC is CTRL+TAB. I have tried to use the EICAS increment and decrement PM control in FSUIPC to no avail although the Pages increment and decrement work in the F3 Function (Engine Page -Single) quite well. However I need to cycle in the F7 Function which provides for a dual upper & lower display set-up.

I am reasonably sure that this can be done by FSUIPC but I am not sure how to do it.

Regards

I am running Project Magenta ECAM on a dedicated computer in a 5 computer network and I would like to assign a Joystick Button to cycle through the EICAS pages (Bleed, F.CTRL, APU, etc.). The keypress required by the Project Magenta program to cycle through (F7 Function (Dual -Upper & Lowere Engine) of th ABGC is CTRL+TAB. I have tried to use the EICAS increment and decrement PM control in FSUIPC to no avail although the Pages increment and decrement work in the F3 Function (Engine Page -Single) quite well. However I need to cycle in the F7 Function which provides for a dual upper & lower display set-up.

If it is controllable through the PM offsets then it will be possible, and that would be the best way. See PM's documentation, http://www.projectmagenta.com/resources/PMOffsets.html. I'm afraid I don't know Airbus or ECAM, but would these 04F4 values be relevant?

(Airbus)

Secondary EICAS pages and functions AB

301 ENG

302 BLEED

303 PRESS

304 ELEC

305 HYD

306 FUEL

307 APU

308 COND

310 DOOR

311 WHEEL

312 F/CTL

313 ALL

314 CLR

315 STS

316 RCL

317 CLR

Further on, there's

2 Engine Page Decrement

3 Engine Page Increment

4 Synoptic Page Decrement

5 Synoptic Page Increment

Now I think all four of those are assigned special PM controls in FSUIPC. Did you try the synoptics one, or only the engine page one?

Maybe some clarification from the PM folks is needed? I'm afraid I'm no expert on PM, far from it.

Anyway, if there really is no offset controlling that selection (which seems very unlikely), then instead you can program your button press as a KeySend number, to send a message through to the WideClient running your ECAM, and then you can define that KeySend value to produce the F7 keystroke.

The KeySend assignment can be done in FSUIPC's Buttons page (just look for the KeySend command. Assign a parameter -- 1 is fine if you've not used KeySend before. You can have up to 255 such assignments, 1-255).

The programming of the F7 key to KeySend n (eg KeySend1, if you did set the parameter to 1) is done by eiditing the WideClient.ini file on the PC running the ECAM. Details of all that are in the WideFS documentation, not FSUIPC.

Regards,

Pete

Peter, Thank you for your quick response and I do hope you are feeling well after your surgery.

I think I will try and get a button programmed first in FSUIPC, and then go into the cfg and make a manual change to the entry. How would I code the button command to go the PM Window - Engine (Client B) and key pulse a CTRL TAB? I will be crossing the network and need to identify the particular client (is this the window name feature?).

Regards.

I think I will try and get a button programmed first in FSUIPC, and then go into the cfg and make a manual change to the entry.

Using KeySend, you mean?

How would I code the button command to go the PM Window - Engine (Client B) and key pulse a CTRL TAB? I will be crossing the network and need to identify the particular client (is this the window name feature?).

1. You do not identify the client. WideServer broadcasts the KeySend values to all clients. Only those clients with the relevant KeySend programmed will respond, that is all.

2. All the rest of the information you need is in the WideFS documentation. You'll need two parameter lines adding (in the WideClient.ini file -- there is no "CFG") -- one to tell it to look for the Keys in the first place and the other to tell it what keystroke to produce. TThe keycodes are listed in the documenatation.

3. To get the keypress specifically sent to a particular program it is easiest and most reliable to get WideClient to LOAD your program in the first place. That way it knows about it and can direct it precisely. Please see the documentation, that is what it is for. By all means ask specific questions if you get puzzled, but please do not expect me to reproduce the documentation here.

Regards,

Pete

Peter, Thanks again and I understand your instruction...

I have carefully studied the Wide FS documentation and have determined that the following should work...could you just confirm my use of TAB? I am bit confused if should be a value of 12 or 4 or something else???

I am using the value 10 for CTRL (shift state) and I am using Run1 to fire up PM Engine Page.

Here goes...

CLIENT COMPUTER

ActionKeys=Y

KeySend1=TAB,10,Run1....what value for TAB?

SERVER COMPUTER

KeySend1=15

(15 assumes the button number chosen by FSUIPC when asked to press the button on the joystick)

I think this will work...

could you just confirm my use of TAB? I am bit confused if should be a value of 12 or 4 or something else???

It's the Windows virtual keycode for TAB, which is 9. Last time I actually published a full list was in the FS2000 Controls list, which is still available over in the http://www.schiratti.com/dowson page. The list starts off:

3	Ctrl Break (needs shift state = 10)
	8	Backspace
	9	Tab
	12	NumPad 5 (NumLock OFF)
	13	Enter
	19	Pause
	20	Caps lock (usable with Shift but not with Cntrl)

I am using the value 10 for CTRL (shift state) and I am using Run1 to fire up PM Engine Page.

10 is correct for Control, yes.

CLIENT COMPUTER

ActionKeys=Y

KeySend1=TAB,10,Run1

The ActionKeys parameter is "ActionKeys=Yes", not "Y". Please re-check the document.

The KeySend is okay if you put 9 in for TAB.

Make sure both lines go into the [user] section.

SERVER COMPUTER

KeySend1=15

Where are you putting this? I suggested that you program the key in FSUIPC, you don't want to be messing about in the WideServer.INI file! Just program the button to send KeySend in FSUIPC, with a parameter of 1. Where do you get this other stuff? The method of programing the actual joystick button number in WideServer dates back about 6 years and was aimed at EPIC users, before FSUIPC was even thought of.

(15 assumes the button number chosen by FSUIPC when asked to press the button on the joystick)

No, no. FSUIPC does not assume any button numbers. Please, please, just program the keysend in FSUIPC, as I suggested in the first place.

Regards,

Pete