The simFlight Network Forums

FS9 and FSUIPC 3.22+ hangs

This is kind of a follow-up to:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=25649

I was having similar problems (hanging during the scenery load). Once I got past the hang (setting InitDelay to 9000) the Modules menu would completely hang FS. After searching this forum and trying everything I could find that looked remotely relevant, I still could get past this (and yes, I even re-installed FS9).

Thank goodness for sites that squirrel back level versions.... I back-tracked through versions 3.22 and 3.21. With version 3.21 the problems go away. No more hanging loading screnery... no more hangs when Modules is selected from the menu. It appears that whatever is causing this was introduced in 3.22.

Environment:

Windows 2000 Pro

Dell Optiplex GX260 / Intel P4 2G

1G RAM

Radeon 9200SE

FS9 Build 30612.02

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

This is kind of a follow-up to:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=25649

I think, in the end, that particular one turned out to be due to a bad version of FSNavigator -- an update to that fixed it.

Thank goodness for sites that squirrel back level versions.... I back-tracked through versions 3.22 and 3.21. With version 3.21 the problems go away. No more hanging loading screnery... no more hangs when Modules is selected from the menu. It appears that whatever is causing this was introduced in 3.22.

In that case it's the joystick scanning problem, which was diagnosed, and fixable in 3.22 with additions to the FSUIPC.INI file (there are a couple of threads about that here someplace)

However, 3.22 was replaced over a month ago by 3.30. I cannot support old versions I'm afraid.

Please check the list of supported versions (an announcement near the top of this Forum) before reporting problems, and update to the latest version first. If you still have problems, get back to me. I can deal with reports about supported versions.

Regards,

Pete

Unforunately, it was 3.30 that I started out with.

Why didn't you say? It would have saved some time.

Please try adding

[buttons]

PollInterval=50

PollEpicButtons=No

to the FSUIPC.INI file, before loading FS. (Just insert the two parameters if you already have a [buttons] section).

If this doesn't solve it, try 60 instead of 50. Please let me know.

So far, the only folks who have reported button polling problems with 3.30 are those using Windows 98 rather than Windows XP. I think it is related to the older USB code. I notice you are using Windows 2000, so maybe the same applies. Can you tell me if there are many USB devices on your system?

In the next version I will be defaulting the PollInterval to 50 on Windows 98 systems. I would like your feedback on Windows 2000 as it may be that I should impose this limitation on that system too.

Thanks,

Pete