The simFlight Network Forums

widefs - not connecting

Hi,

I am using widefs, and recently It is unable to find the FS session running on the other PC.

Here's the log from wideserver, maybe some of you can help.

Rest of the network works fine:

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 6.23] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 13/08/04, Time 12:17:50.140: Client name is WOONKAMER

203 Attempting to connect now

297 Trying TCP/IP host "JAN" ...

297Okay, IP Address = 195.130.132.84

3687 Reception maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

3687 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0

3687 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0)

Thanks,

Jan

Here's the log from wideserver, maybe some of you can help.

Rest of the network works fine:

That was the log from the Client, and at least it got the IP address for your Server. What does the Server say?

If this problem only recently started, you need to think what you changed. Did you add a firewall (eg. XP SP2) or something like that? Or a router? I see no error messages in the Client log though.

However, you closed the program after less than 4 seconds, so it may simply not have had time to exchange data by then. Was FS already loaded? It may simply be waiting for FS to be loaded and ready to fly -- WideServer does not offer its services until then.

Regards,

Pete

Can't think of anything i've changed, here's the log from the server:

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.23] *********

Using blocksize guide of 4096 bytes

Date (dmy): 13/08/04, Time 12:12:15.609: Server name is JAN

115859 Initialising server socket now

127062 Restarting service due to total lack of use

Thanks for the help,

Jan

Can't think of anything i've changed, here's the log from the server:

That shows no errors either. So, sorry, there's not a lot I can tell you. you might try running the client for a bit longer than 4 seconds of course -- terminating it so soon doesn't give it a chance.

Also, check that you have not changed the Port number in either case, no have one set for TCP/IP and the other for IPX/SPX (I can check for you if you show me the INI files).

But if these things are okay, or left defaulted, and you are never getting connected, then, I'm sorry, but there's no erros being reported. it is just as if they are on different Networks or something.

If it was okay once then obviously you have changed something. You really do need to try to work out what it was.

Regards,

Pete

; PLEASE SEE the documentation for parameter details

; ==================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

AutoRestart=0

AutoUpdateTime=13

MaximumBlock=4096

NoStoppedRestarts=Yes

RestartTime=10

SendTimeout=15

TCPcoalesce=No

UseTCPIP=Yes

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=43,47,886,586

Visible=Yes

ServerName=JAN

ButtonScanInterval=0

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

PollInterval=2000

ResponseTime=18

Timeout=12

TCPcoalesce=No

UseTCPIP=Yes

WaitForNewData=500

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

Ok, I'll try reconfiguring the network, or start from zero, installing a new network, maybe that helps.

Aove are the ini files.

Thanks again

Jan

Aove are the ini files.

They are all okay.

Hmmm. It's a bit of a puzzle. This is where I would start trial-and-error. As you say, reinstall Network cards, and so on. But I don't understand why there are no error messages. I assume there are still none if you allow WideClient to run longer than the 4 seconds you showed in the first log?

Pete

• 2 months later...

I wonder if this was ever resolved.

I ask this because this is the same error I had this weekend when trying the P8R freeware FMC on a friend's equipment.

The PC is a newly installed WinXP SP2 with most of the services disabled, only those needed for TCP/IP are left open.

I don't get any errors, too, and my logfiles are quite similar like the ones above.

Both the FMC and the FreeFD-package don't see FS2004.

Now that I'm uncertain wether WindeFS needs some special service running to function properly (COM+? Remote registry? Something else?) or if the Windows XP SP2 firewall blocks something, I'd like to post here first to see if someone has some hints and tips for me before I start walking the painful way and do the cumbersome troubleshooting myself...

(should mean: there should be some generic rules how to set up WinXP properly to make WideFS work)

Andreas

The PC is a newly installed WinXP SP2 with most of the services disabled, only those needed for TCP/IP are left open.

I've not dared install SP2 on any of my PCs yet. I have heard of many folks having difficulties after that upgrade, and I have no time to spend the same number of days sorting them out as they did!

Both the FMC and the FreeFD-package don't see FS2004.

I don't know the FMC, but the FreeFD stuff has always worked well on WideFs.

Now that I'm uncertain wether WindeFS needs some special service running to function properly (COM+? Remote registry? Something else?)

No, nothing. I don't even understand those things let alone use any of them. My programs use the minimum number of Windows thingies as I can possibly get away with. There's no more used now in WinXP than there was when I first wrote it in Win95 days.

or if the Windows XP SP2 firewall blocks something, I'd like to post here first to see if someone has some hints and tips for me before I start walking the painful way and do the cumbersome troubleshooting myself...

Okay. Good luck. I'll be looking out to see if we can both learn anything. From what I've heard you have come off quite lightly if the only thing not working with SP2 is WideFs.

I think you should also ask Katy Pluta over in the FS2004 Forum. She is a strong advocate of SP2 and also a WideFS user (with Project Magenta), and a bit of a Network Expert.

Regards,

Pete