The simFlight Network Forums

FS Weather & "Haze" effect

Hi:

I don't know if this has happened to other people but here is the scenario.

I start out at KCLT today and the weather is: Few clouds, 86 degrees with haze and winds out of the north--I use FS2004 downloaded weather. I have the latest version of FSUIPC. The definition of "Haze" seems to produce a gray blanket around the airport and that just disappears suddenly shortly after take-off and then it re-appears then gone again shortly after, it will do this a couple times until reaching almost 10,000ft.

It almost looks more like a fog-laden airport/area instead of haze. Is there something that I may not have set right or does it not happen with other weather programs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Delta07

I start out at KCLT today and the weather is: Few clouds, 86 degrees with haze and winds out of the north--I use FS2004 downloaded weather. I have the latest version of FSUIPC. The definition of "Haze" seems to produce a gray blanket around the airport and that just disappears suddenly shortly after take-off and then it re-appears then gone again shortly after, it will do this a couple times until reaching almost 10,000ft.

It almost looks more like a fog-laden airport/area instead of haze. Is there something that I may not have set right or does it not happen with other weather programs.

No idea without seeing the weather actually downloaded. Bear in mind that the weather you get from downloading is complex, it includes most of the weather stations, each with their own weather. I've no idea what you mean by "haze" -- you could be experiencing clouds rather than actual visibility limits. Weather in any one place is interpolated from all the neighbouring stations.

When there's a haze layer, FS puts a very thin cloud layer on top, so you see the haze when looking down. Maybe some of your experienced changes were due to this thin cloud. If you flew through a different zone with a higher haze boundary that layer would have been higher and may account for you going through it twice.

If you have a registered version of FSUIPC why not try to use the recommended visibility settings there -- limits, graduation, and smoothing? Of course, if it's clouds you are seeing this won't change anything.

Regards,

Pete