The simFlight Network Forums

Inject planes in FS?

Hi,

I'm using the PM software suite and FSTraffic which produces quite a lot of nice traffic around me...

Now I'd like to put in some aircraft in specific locations in the air around me (e.g. 10NM ahead with opposite heading) using FSUIPC's traffic facilities. Reason is that I'd like to develop realistic TCAS events...

Is there a way to do this? It's not necessary to actually "see" the airplane in the sky, I only need the indication on PM's navigation display.

Thanks for any input!

Bye,

Michael

Now I'd like to put in some aircraft in specific locations in the air around me (e.g. 10NM ahead with opposite heading) using FSUIPC's traffic facilities.

FSUIPC has no way of creating traffic. There are only two ways I know of, one is multiplayer and the other is compiling new traffic BGL files. Only multiplayer works "on the fly", but at a cost -- in multiplayer mode you lose FS's AI traffic and ATC.

Is there a way to do this? It's not necessary to actually "see" the airplane in the sky, I only need the indication on PM's navigation display.

Ah, that's different! Yes, you can do that -- it is documented in a section near the front of the FSUIPC programmer's guide in the FSUIPC SDK. It is the facility used by AIBridge to get MP traffic seen by TCAS displays, but it will work without MP running and will mix with "real" AI traffic.

Regards,

Pete

• 10 months later...

Dear Pete,

have some trouble when inserting planes into the TCAS table. I write a completely filled TCAS_DATA structure to 0x1F80 with the size set to the value read from 0xF000 (always 40). The traffic appears fine in your TrafficLook utility but NOT on Enrico's pmTCAS application. This app displays all traffic except mine :-(. Did I miss something important? The only difference to "real" AI aircraft is that my traffic does not have a TCAS_DATA2 structure...

Thank you for you input!

Bye,

CATIII

I write a completely filled TCAS_DATA structure to 0x1F80 with the size set to the value read from 0xF000 (always 40). The traffic appears fine in your TrafficLook utility but NOT on Enrico's pmTCAS application. This app displays all traffic except mine :-(. Did I miss something important? The only difference to "real" AI aircraft is that my traffic does not have a TCAS_DATA2 structure...

The TCAS_DATA2 stuff isn't used by PM, it was added much later.

Sorry, I don't know why pmTCAS doesn't show them -- it certainly should be able to if TrafficLook copes. When you say "all traffic except mine" do you have other MP traffic showing (e.g. inserted by AIBridge from SB2, or from SB3 directly)?

If not, maybe it is deliberately restricted to only deal with true AI traffic? As a freeware module it may be restricted. I have TCAS in PM's Boeing ND, but not flying with MP traffic I really don't know if that deals with a mixture either. Maybe they only show one or the other?

I can only suggest that you send a question to the PM support address, see if they can help. You might also want to try one of the freeware TCAS gauges for FS, such as Lee Hetherington's ILH_TCAS, see if that does any better.

Regards,

Pete