The simFlight Network Forums

Clear Weather Location

Hi Pete,

sorry to bug you again, but I just need to clarify something... browsing through the forum to find some information on setting weather, I came accross a topic, where you mentioned

In the case of FS2000 and FS2002 weather, you must clear it all first -- use the Clear Weather facilities in the FS weather dialogue, or the Hot Key provided by FSUIPC.

All I am trying to do at present is to emulate the weather from a Server PC to the Client PC... my initial though was, all I need to do is to copy the Global Weather setting (&H0F1C [114 bytes]), and write it to the client. But after reading that topic, I am now trying to find how I can get FSUIPC to clear the weather from the code (the only reference I found so far is &H333E - but it says its a count only).

Thanks in advance - please go easy on me just incase I missed something on the documentation. I also did a search on the forum, but to no avail.

PS: I would also appreciate any comment you may have regarding this scenerio (ie. a better way of doing it perhaps)

All I am trying to do at present is to emulate the weather from a Server PC to the Client PC... my initial though was, all I need to do is to copy the Global Weather setting (&H0F1C [114 bytes]), and write it to the client.

This is for FS2000 or FS2002, right? Not FS2004?

But after reading that topic, I am now trying to find how I can get FSUIPC to clear the weather from the code (the only reference I found so far is &H333E - but it says its a count only).

All the advanced weather facilities are documented in the Advanced Weather Facilities package in the SDK (UIPCAWI.ZIP), which includes the clear weather commands and much more powerful weather commands than the old FS98-compatible ones you are considering.

This interface operates with Global Weather only and works in FS2000 and FS2002. It will work to some extent in FS2004, but the localisation of weather takes over, so the results are not wat you might expect (see all the chat about this in this forum and in the FSUIPC documentation).

For FS2004 only there is the "New Weather Interface" which is included in the SDK as "New Weather Interface for FS2004.ziip". This is much more sophisticated and allows local weather settings, needed really in FS2004.

Please browse through the README.TXT file in the FSUIPC SDK which does mention the basic nature of all these parts of the complete package.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for your reply... I am writing this feature for both FS2002 and FS2004, so the code is reading different offset when required.

From the topic I mentioned, seemed like you said Weather needs to be cleared for FS2002 - and as you pointed out "New Weather Interface" is for fs2004 only.. I didn't think I could use the clear weather from Advanced Weather Facilities in FS2002.

However, after I started the topic - I did some test, and this is what I found so far:

if I read 114 Bytes from H0F1C (server pc), and write it to the same location in client - it does update the cloud base in both FS2002 and FS2004 - as I couldn't find the clear weather setting, I just ignored it.

I guess if I can get the same code to work in both version (and as I am not really tweaking the weather and just copying it), no harm done.

The only part thats giving me trouble now is, the cloud is setting fine, but not the wind, temperature and pressure - I assume thats to do with the fact that I am writing all 114 Bytes and then processing. i guess I have to do some trail-n-error (unless you can advise me which order to set them)

I completely missed UIPCAWI.zip :shock: aah, now I see the AW_CLRALL in the header - thanks pete.

thanks for your reply... I am writing this feature for both FS2002 and FS2004, so the code is reading different offset when required.

Well the global weather offsets or interface is the same for both FS2002 and FS2004, but you cannot set local weather in FS2002 and global weather doesn't work too well (read "doesn't work for long") in FS2004.

From the topic I mentioned, seemed like you said Weather needs to be cleared for FS2002 - and as you pointed out "New Weather Interface" is for fs2004 only.. I didn't think I could use the clear weather from Advanced Weather Facilities in FS2002.

Yes, the command is there:

#define AW_CLRALL	0x050000  //  Clear all weather

It is used in WeatherSet.exe (not Weatherset2 which uses the NWI) -- see the menu entries.

WeatherSet.exe uses the AWI, WeatherSet2 uses the NWI.

if I read 114 Bytes from H0F1C (server pc), and write it to the same location in client - it does update the cloud base in both FS2002 and FS2004 - as I couldn't find the clear weather setting, I just ignored it.

This will depend upon the "automatic clear weather" option in FSUIPC -- see the parameter "AutoClearWeather" in the Advanced User's guide. It might be informative to read that section.

The only part thats giving me trouble now is, the cloud is setting fine, but not the wind, temperature and pressure - I assume thats to do with the fact that I am writing all 114 Bytes and then processing. i guess I have to do some trail-n-error (unless you can advise me which order to set them)

There's no special order. The FS98 faciliries are limited though, compared to the capabilities of FS2002 and FS2004. They only deal with as much of the weather as was implemented by Microsoft in FS98 days -- i.e. two cloud layers (three if the lowest is a thunderstorm), no rain/snow, limited wind and temperature layers.

I couldn't say why your wind, temperature and pressure values aren't setting -- check your work via FSUIPC IPC Write logging (FSUIPC logging page) and also use FSInterrogate and WeatherSet to view the changes.

Regards,

Pete