The simFlight Network Forums

Get nearby airport(s)?

Hey FS-gurus,

I'm looking for a possibility to get the ICAO code of the nearest airport via FSUIPC or some other source. Is there a chance via BGL files? In the programmers guide there are some bgl variables ('usr vars'), but I have no idea what they're for.

If anybody has a hint, I'd be glad to hear about it ;)

Ciao,

CATIII

I'm looking for a possibility to get the ICAO code of the nearest airport via FSUIPC or some other source. Is there a chance via BGL files? In the programmers guide there are some bgl variables ('usr vars'), but I have no idea what they're for.

There's no way through FSUIPC, sorry. You really need to generate and refer to a database.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I expected an answer like this... Thanks for the ultra-fast reply!

I know that certain flight planning tools generate their databases from FS' BGL-files, until now I didn't find any description of this format. Do you know a pointer on where I could start searching?

Have a nice weekend!

Michael

I know that certain flight planning tools generate their databases from FS' BGL-files, until now I didn't find any description of this format. Do you know a pointer on where I could start searching?

The data you need is in the AFD files (the ones also read and made by the AFCAD program. The formats are not officially published -- there were useful guidelines for them in the Scenery SDK for FS2000/2002, and I did suss out enough to make a program which produced a Runways database (used for instance in Radar Contact versions 1 and 2, and my own FStarRC), but I've not had time to do this for FS2004 -- the formats have been changed considerably.

Regards,

Pete