The simFlight Network Forums

Shutdown Problem

Hello,

I hope i don´t annoying you with this rather less problem,but it makes me very confusing....

I have a Problem shutting down my 6 PCs,better said ,ONE of them.

I want to shut down all my PCs thru the integrated Facility in the

PM-MCDU.

That works good,all PCs shut down but the MCDU-PC only gets to the

Desktop(no Icons), and stays so here until i switch off manually.

In this case ,the FS (on the Server) is in Flight-Mode(Aircraft at Gate).

-----------

But if the FS is in Menu-Mode (where i can create a flight,load a flight,..) and I want to switch off the PCs thru the MCDU,ONLY the MCDU-PC shuts down COMPLETELY,and all the other PCs stay running-,UNTIL i go back in FS to the Flight Mode-then also all the other Clients shut down (automatically)normally .

That is a bit confusing,and if i make a mistake with this Procedure,I can crouch behind my Cockpit and can search for the PCs,and.... :roll: :)

The same Problem i also have, using the Shutdownhotkey on the Server:

If i am in Menu-Mode and press the ShutdownHotKey nothing happens(of course i think bec. WideFS is not serving...?) ,then I load the Flight,and all Clients shut down completely ,EXCEPT the MCDU PC,this one only goes to the desktop(no Icons) and does not shut down completely.

If i press the ShutdownHotkey INFLIGHT ,-ALL Clients(including the MCDU)

only shuts down to the blank Desktop (so as would Windows write :"You can switch off your computer now" )

Here the .ini Files:

FS-PC (Server):

; PLEASE SEE the documentation for parameter details

; ==================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

AutoRestart=0

AutoUpdateTime=13

MaximumBlock=4096

NoStoppedRestarts=Yes

RestartTime=10

SendTimeout=15

TCPcoalesce=No

UseTCPIP=Yes

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

ShutdownHotKey=69,11

; ===============================================

[ClientNames]

1=ECAMS

2=AD

3=FMGC

4=LAPTOP

5=FCC

a Client:

; PLEASE SEE WideFS documentation for parameter details

; =====================================================

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=43,44,886,589

Visible=Min

ServerIPAddr=10.0.0.140

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

PollInterval=2000

ResponseTime=18

Timeout=12

TCPcoalesce=No

UseTCPIP=Yes

WaitForNewData=500

[user]

Log=Errors+

RunReady1=C:\ABGC\abgc.exe

CloseReady1=Yes

AllowShutdown=Yes

; ===============================================

and here the MCDU-PC:

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=87,85,812,589

Visible=Min

ServerIPAddr=10.0.0.140

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

PollInterval=2000

ResponseTime=18

Timeout=12

TCPcoalesce=No

UseTCPIP=Yes

WaitForNewData=500

[user]

Log=Errors+

AllowShutdown=Yes

RunReady1=C:\MCDU\mcdu.exe

CloseReady1=Yes

ActionKeys=Yes

KeySend1=76,10

KeySend2=76,12

under Project Magenta- .ini i configured Topmost=ON for all Applications

Please give me some Advice,

best regards,

Thomas

I want to shut down all my PCs thru the integrated Facility in the

PM-MCDU.

That works good,all PCs shut down but the MCDU-PC only gets to the Desktop(no Icons), and stays so here until i switch off manually.

Hmmm. This sounds like a question for PM support. Possibly, on your system, the CDU is causing Wideclient to close before the latter has received the close-down message from the Server.

I seem to recall that the PM CDU used to shut down okay on Win98 but not on WinXP, or it may be the other way around. I did mention to Enrico the changes he might have to make, because the same difference occurred to me in WideFS. But this was a couple of years ago or so.

But if the FS is in Menu-Mode (where i can create a flight,load a flight,..) and I want to switch off the PCs thru the MCDU,ONLY the MCDU-PC shuts down COMPLETELY,and all the other PCs stay running-,UNTIL i go back in FS to the Flight Mode-then also all the other Clients shut down (automatically)normally .

AhWideServer will not action the incoming request whilst you are in the menu.

The same Problem i also have, using the Shutdownhotkey on the Server:

If i am in Menu-Mode and press the ShutdownHotKey nothing happens(of course i think bec. WideFS is not serving...?) ,then I load the Flight,and all Clients shut down completely ,EXCEPT the MCDU PC,this one only goes to the desktop(no Icons) and does not shut down completely.

If i press the ShutdownHotkey INFLIGHT ,-ALL Clients(including the MCDU)

only shuts down to the blank Desktop (so as would Windows write :"You can switch off your computer now" )

Well, the last part is something to do with the way Windows decides whether it can switch off automatically or not. I don't know why it does that on some machines.

The first part may be that something in the CDU shutdown process is interfering somehow.

Please give me some Advice,

Sorry, this seems somehow related to what the CDU program is doing I think. To check that it isn't WideFS or the specific PC, try a different program on that PC, or just close the CDU.EXE first, leaving WideClient running, then use the Shutdown key on the Server.

If it seems to be only the CDU program then please ask PM support.

Regards,

Pete

Hi,

To check that it isn't WideFS or the specific PC, try a different program on that PC, or just close the CDU.EXE first, leaving WideClient running, then use the Shutdown key on the Server.

If i do so,the other PCs shut down completely,but the MCDU stays "half running"(as described).

But this MCDU-PC CAN shut down completely,as described before...(if i shut only this MCDU-PC down using the MCDU-Facility)

Now things have changed(don´t ask me why...):

If i press the ShutdownHotkey INFLIGHT ,-ALL Clients(exept the MCDU)

shut down completely.

The MCDU-PC is half running yet.

:?

It seems the only problem is the MCDU-PC...

here again the Wideclient ini of the MCDU PC(please have a look if all is correct).

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=87,85,812,589

Visible=Min

ServerIPAddr=10.0.0.140

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

PollInterval=2000

ResponseTime=18

Timeout=12

TCPcoalesce=No

UseTCPIP=Yes

WaitForNewData=500

[user]

Log=Errors+

AllowShutdown=Yes

RunReady1=C:\MCDU\mcdu.exe

CloseReady1=Yes

ActionKeys=Yes

KeySend1=76,10

KeySend2=76,12

It´s not WideFS related,but could you give me advice what there could be configured wrong under Windows that this Problem on the MCDU-PC occurs?

For a economic Solution i´ll do as far now as follows:

I shut down the MCDU PC thru the MCDU-Faclility,then i shut down all the other Clients using the Hotkey...

How do YOU personally handle this?

Big thanks,

Thomas

To check that it isn't WideFS or the specific PC, try a different program on that PC, or just close the CDU.EXE first, leaving WideClient running, then use the Shutdown key on the Server.

If i do so,the other PCs shut down completely,but the MCDU stays "half running"(as described).

Er, sorry, I'm lost. Didn't you try it WITHOUT the MCDU program running? How can it be "half running" -- I don't see you describing something half running? Do you mean Windows has closed down but not powered off? I get that on two PCs.

But this MCDU-PC CAN shut down completely,as described before...(if i shut only this MCDU-PC down using the MCDU-Facility).

Hmmm. I wonder what that is doing differently? And why WideClient works on all the others but not that. Are you using the same versionm of WideClient on all of them?

If i press the ShutdownHotkey INFLIGHT ,-ALL Clients(exept the MCDU) shut down completely. The MCDU-PC is half running yet. :?

Sorry. Half-running meaning? Is this with or without the PM CDU program running?

It seems the only problem is the MCDU-PC...

here again the Wideclient ini of the MCDU PC(please have a look if all is correct).

AllowShutdown=Yes

You have AllowShutdown=Yes, which is all that can be done in WideFS. It will be sending the same instructions to Windows as it does in the other PCs, exactly -- unless you are using a different Wideclient version, of course.

It´s not WideFS related,but could you give me advice what there could be configured wrong under Windows that this Problem on the MCDU-PC occurs?

Sorry, I do really have no idea whatsoever. If you find out how to make Windows close down and switch off PCs reliably, please let me know. I have one which sometimes does and sometimes doesn't, and one other which never does. When they don't, they simply end up with some screen telling me it is safe to turn off the computer. currently I just wait till it says that, then power off at the main electric power socket (where all are connected by multiway adapters).

Maybe Katy, over in the PM Newsgroup, can help. She does know a lot about WinXP.

Regards,

Pete

Indeed,with "half running" I mean ,Windows has closed,but the PC don´t

power off.

I use all the same 623 Wideclient Versions.

I see, you have also such Problems with the PCs.

I also want to do like you, to power off the PCs using a main Power Switch.

Then all Problems are solved.

And i *could* live with this solution... :)

All the Best and thank you very much,

Thomas

Hello again,

another Problem:

Now i´ve connected my last PC-the "FlightControlComputer"

On this PC runs the "FSCommunicator" with its FlyByWire Module from Robert Fischer.Only a Joystick is connected to this PC.

This PC don´t want to shut down at all wheter using the Hotkey nor the MCDU.

ONLY WideClient gets closed(and the Application which was started with WideClient).

entries in WideClient:

Run1=C:\Programme\FSComm\fscom.exe

Close1=Yes

AllowShutdown=Yes

If I press the Shutdownhotkey on the Server the Application and WideClient shuts down,but the Computer stays fully running.

If i CLOSE this Application BEFORE I press the Shutdownhotkey,then this PC shuts down completely.

The Problem: No Keyboard and NO Mouse should be connected to this Computer,so i would not be able to close this Program...

What can I do?

Is it bad for the PC to power off without shutting down?

That would be a solution-but if this is good... :roll:

Thanks again and

best regards,

Thomas

If I press the Shutdownhotkey on the Server the Application and WideClient shuts down,but the Computer stays fully running.

If i CLOSE this Application BEFORE I press the Shutdownhotkey,then this PC shuts down completely.

It sounds like the application is refusing permission for the shutdown. This is possible -- each application gets sent a message by Windows and can refuse permission. I can't really do much about that.

Is it bad for the PC to power off without shutting down?

Well, it used to happen a lot here because of bad power lines to my house. but i don't expect it is advisable normally.

Pete

Regarding PCs going to "you can power down ..." screen:

In your bios you must have AIPC enabled and also in the Power Management section of Control Panel. This allows software (the windows shutdown task) to turn off the computer (but not totally the power supply). It might be possible that only ATX and some special older supplies have this software power control feature.