The simFlight Network Forums

Need fast access to FS variables

I need to access FS aircraft position variables and pass them to a remote computer via a network port at a fast rate - 30Hz or better. I bought FSUIPC and WideFS but I can't get the variables I need at a fast enough rate.

I am thinking that I need to write a FS module that will extract the A/C Lat, Lon, Alt, bank, pitch and heading and send them to the network port but I can't find any info on writing FS modules. What would be a good source for this info?

Is there a way to make FSUIPC retrive the data from FS2004 at a much faster rate than I can currently achieve?

Thanks,

I need to access FS aircraft position variables and pass them to a remote computer via a network port at a fast rate - 30Hz or better. I bought FSUIPC and WideFS but I can't get the variables I need at a fast enough rate.

What is the FS frame rate? That more or less governs it. That plus the latency on your Network -- 15-35 mSecs are typical turn-round times on a 100 Mbps LAN using TCP/IP, so achieving 30Hz regularly is not easy. IPX/SPX is probably twice as fast, but rather more problematic on WinXP (lack of support I presume).

I am thinking that I need to write a FS module that will extract the A/C Lat, Lon, Alt, bank, pitch and heading and send them to the network port but I can't find any info on writing FS modules. What would be a good source for this info?

There isn't really one. You'll need to spend some months hacking into FS code like the rest of us who write such things. I started back in FS4 days so developed my own techniques. Your best bet would be to first learn how to do gauges (the MS panels SDK) -- GAUs are DLLs too you know.

Then you'll presumably need to work out how to bypass all the multi-layered claptrap which handles the standard LAN interchanges.

Is there a way to make FSUIPC retrive the data from FS2004 at a much faster rate than I can currently achieve?

There is no limitation in FSUIPC itself, it works as fast as FS, it is part of the FS execution cycle in effect. There will obviously be overheads in switching processes if you have another process interfacing to FSUIPC on the FS PC, but WideServer works directly with FSUIPC and that is operating at the FS frame rate if it is allowed to do so -- generally, and especially with FS2002 and FS2004, you'd need to limit the FS frame rate to ensure the LAN operating threads in WideServer can operate smoothly too. I tend to run everything at 20 or 25 fps at most, with 5 or 6 clients running PM modules and other things. Then everything runs smoothly at 20/25 Hz. This is with a P4 3.2GHz PC running FS. 30 Hz seems a little ambitious if you want smoothness.

Regards,

Pete