The simFlight Network Forums

Axis_Throttle_set -vs- Throttle_Set

Hello again Pete,

I've been looking through the list of available FS controls provided by you.

Here's what I'm looking at...

AXIS_THROTTLE_SET

I know this gets assigned to a lever and what this does.

THROTTLE_CUT
THROTTLE_DECR
THROTTLE_INCR
THROTTLE_FULL

I know these are for button assignments.

THROTTLE_SET

But what is this for? I figure it's a button assignment.

I see this a lot throughout the list. Is there some significant task they perform?

My guess is, if I understand correctly, The AXIS controls are SET by the position of the lever. The buttons are SET by the variable assigned on the buttons page?

THROTTLE_SET

But what is this for? I figure it's a button assignment.

No, I think all "_SET" controls are axes. The only difference here is that THROTTLE_SET is the original FS98/FS2000 control whilst the AXIS_THROTTLE_SET was introduced in FS2002 onwards. There's a lot of duplication with slight variations. Just look at all the ways of setting the ADF frequency for instance.

You can check my FS2000 and FS2002 lists (both also still available) to see some history. In fact the FS2000 one is worth having as there's much more explanation in there, most of it still valid.

Sometimes they forget to support an old ones, sometimes they add new ones to the list but don't get time to put the code in to implement them. So it's a bit of pot luck when you try things.

Where there are alternatives like this, the joysticks page in FSUIPC accepts them all but converts them to one -- though whether it's the newer or the older one depends on whatever side effects there may be, if any.

My guess is, if I understand correctly, The AXIS controls are SET by the position of the lever. The buttons are SET by the variable assigned on the buttons page?

No, the parameter facility is there so you CAN apply fixed "SET" values for axis commands if you like. The example in my documentation, for setting STD pressure, for instance, uses an "axis" command with a fixed value.

Also, as I found out very recently, some of the button controls MAY take a parameter -- someone said something about some of the INC/DEC controls using the parameter as the increment (in place of 1 or -1) if it's non-zero. But I couldn't get that to work on ones I tried. Mind you, I haven't got that sort of patience!

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for the explanation,

I still have 8 buttons and one rotary with no function, and I'm trying to find out what else I can use, which is why I was going through your list. I've determined some of the controls are for the Combat Flight Sim side of the house since FS doesn't have Huds, Targets etc.

Thanks for your response, now go I'll tell the guys on Simviation.

Joe