The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC modifying non FSUIPC imported Weather

bfels

Hello,

I am Benjamin, Developer of the Team FSFDT. We are developping freeware addons for FS WITHOUT FSUIPC.

You might have heard of FSInn, a client to fly online as on VATSIM.

FSInn must be one of the rare proggy to inject real time (every second) weather updates to FS without using FSUIPC API.

Unfortunatly FSUIPC is very annoying because by default FSUIPC behave like its was the sole owner of FS. FSUIPC modifies every weather updates we send to FS, FSUIPC will modify the Weather to apply its own filters.

The result is a flashing weather, no matter what.

Yes this is disablelable ! But this requires the suer to to thru various config panel of FSUIPC. Even if we explain that to to our users, half of them always froget for some options !

The other solution we suggest is to uninstall FSUIPC completly.

And Finally we have no plan to use FSUIPC because we are doing freeware and we have no plan to rely on something payware or semi payware.

Dear Peter Dowson,

Would it be possible to include in FSUIPC a option disabling all FSUIPC Weather filter options and avoid FSUIPC to modify FS Weather ? A single one to control them all !

Else, could you make FSUIPC clever enought to avoid updating weather that dont come from FSUIPC API ?

Feel free to test by yourself FSInn to see how annoying it is : http://www.mcdu.com

Cheers

Unfortunatly FSUIPC is very annoying because by default FSUIPC behave like its was the sole owner of FS. FSUIPC modifies every weather updates we send to FS, FSUIPC will modify the Weather to apply its own filters.

No, that is not true. If the options are off it does nothing with the weather. Please check the user guide. You have some options incorrectly set.

Flashing is absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with FSUIPC. Turn render to texture off in FS and use only 100% 3D clouds.

And Finally we have no plan to use FSUIPC because we are doing freeware and we have no plan to rely on something payware or semi payware.

You evidently completely misunderstand, then, or simply have not bothered to read anything about it! :cry: FSUIPC's interface to FS is free for all freeware. You simply need to apply for a free access key. Fees are only required from commercial operations (just like Adam Szofran's FS6IPC), and for users, the fee covers the many (and growing) additional user features which are not directly part of the IPC interface.

Would it be possible to include in FSUIPC a option disabling all FSUIPC Weather filter options and avoid FSUIPC to modify FS Weather ? A single one to control them all !

Else, could you make FSUIPC clever enought to avoid updating weather that dont come from FSUIPC API ?

Both already exist, and by default FSUIPC doesn't touch any weather not coming through the FSUIPC interface. Please download the FSUIPC ZIP and take a look at the User Guide.

You are evidently misunderstanding a great many things, both about FSUIPC, and FS. Please do some more research.

Regards,

Pete

No, that is not true. If the options are off it does nothing with the weather. Please check the user guide. You have some options incorrectly set.

I agree with you if you disable Weather options in FSUIPC, FSUIPC doesnt trick the weather. But why dont this settings only apply to weather importated thru FSUIPC, not to the weather imported to FS thru another way. I dont know if i am alone doing Weather without FSUIPC, but this is my main concern, FSUIPC keeps on modifying the weather i am sending every one seconds to FS !

Overwise , can FSUIPC own a big option in First panel to disable all Weahter feature ................

We get tons of reports about flashing weather because there is way too many options to disable in FSUIPC. And even if in our doc we explain how to disable FSUIPC, users still always forget one.

(Personnally i dont know anything about FSUIPC, i dont even have one installed as non registered).

Flashing is absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with FSUIPC. Turn render to texture off in FS and use only 100% 3D clouds.

This has nothing to do with FS, this happens on FS2002 and FS2004 with FSUIPC registered. the Simplier solution to solv it, is to remove FSUIPC from module directory, but thats extrem.

You evidently completely misunderstand, then, or simply have not bothered to read anything about it! :cry: FSUIPC's interface to FS is free for all freeware. You simply need to apply for a free access key. Fees are only required from commercial operations (just like Adam Szofran's FS6IPC), and for users, the fee covers the many (and growing) additional user features which are not directly part of the IPC interface.

I did read about it, and still i dont like it at all. I dont want to explain more, i would like to stay civil.

Both already exist, and by default FSUIPC doesn't touch any weather not coming through the FSUIPC interface. Please download the FSUIPC ZIP and take a look at the User Guide.

You are evidently misunderstanding a great many things, both about FSUIPC, and FS. Please do some more research.

Regards,

Pete

Oppssss ! Please dont hurt me, i am just a padawan !

Sorry to bother you, great lord of FS.

I agree with you if you disable Weather options in FSUIPC, FSUIPC doesnt trick the weather. But why dont this settings only apply to weather importated thru FSUIPC, not to the weather imported to FS thru another way.

Nearly all of the FSUIPC weather options are only applied to weather sent via the IPC interface in any case, and by default nothing in FS's own weather is ever altered. It sounds like you are still using very early versions (3.00-3.04) which did indeed have some unwanted affects on FS weather. As noted in the FSUIPC History documentation, that was all corrected a very long time ago.

By default, if the user has registered FSUIPc, there are a couple of options affecting weather supplied through FSUIPC, but there are none enabled by default for any other weather. Furthermore, if the user has not registered FSUIPC, none of the options are applied whatsoever.

I dont know if i am alone doing Weather without FSUIPC, but this is my main concern, FSUIPC keeps on modifying the weather i am sending every one seconds to FS !

No it does not, at least not by default. Please go and get your facts correct first.

Overwise , can FSUIPC own a big option in First panel to disable all Weahter feature ................

Evidently you've never looked at the First panel, because there has ALWAYS been such a button there!!!

We get tons of reports about flashing weather because there is way too many options to disable in FSUIPC.

They only need disabling if they've been enabled, and 90% can only be applied to IPC supplied weather in any case.

Please, go get a copy of FSUIPC and take a look for yourself. It is evident from what you write that you've never even looked at it!

(Personnally i dont know anything about FSUIPC, i dont even have one installed as non registered).

EXACTLY! Please do just go and find out what you are talking about please before asking for things which are either not at all necessary or already supplied! Even if you don't want to register it you are surely able to look at the documentation!?

Regards,

Pete

Ok

I am only here to find solutions for support for users using both FSUIPC and FSInn.

If you say it is corrected in latest version, thats fine for me. I will ask for their version but i am sure, as usual, everybody must be in latest versions of FSUIPC.

It sounds like you are still using very early versions (3.00-3.04)

I dont know, i have none, but i ll definitly ask them for their versions next time.

Do you know some other FS addons handling weather beside FSUIPC ? Did you made test to make sure you dont modify it ? Maybe i could learn from them.

Do you know some other FS addons handling weather beside FSUIPC ?

No, none which interface into FS's Weather DLL, sorry.

Did you made test to make sure you dont modify it ?

I can't modify data I don't see. There are different routines in FS's Weather.DLL used to read weather (which FSUIPC certainly does all the time) and write weather (which it only does when requested by an application program or specifically set user options).

I really do think it would have been a little more reasonable of you to at least look at FSUIPC before making suggestions for additions which have been there for years and which would have been quite obvious even from a brief perusal of the documentation.

For example, the "minimum weather defaults" button was actually added about 5 years ago to allow WidevieW to copy exact weather from the server without FSUIPC "filtering" it on the Client. This is clearly documented and has been for a very long time.

If there is any conflict between your add-on and mine then I have no idea what it is, but it certainly is not FSUIPC wilfully changing any weather. I have absolutely no idea what you program does, but since I assume we are both trying to make things work through hacking into FS code without any help from Microsoft it is entirely possible that things are not compatible. But you will need to do some analysis (debugging) to find out where things are going wrong.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from business travel....

Sorry to annoy you again.

I do not agree when you say

I can't modify data I don't see

I can bring you dozens of common users, using both FSInn and FSUIPC Registered, that will testify that they have to do :

Our explaination from our FAQs :

How to settle FSUIPC (registered) to avoid interferences with FSInn weather ?

You have to uncheck all options in the three first windows (Winds, Visibility, Clouds), and uncheck the lower left option in the fourth window (Technical / Clear weather stops dynamics).

This is the case on both FS2002 and FS2004. I can ask them to come here and testify how they managed to correct flashing weather.

FSUIPC somehow reads the weather, sees its not the weather that has been updated by FSUIPC, modify it and apply it back to FS.

When Weather is enabled in FSInn (i do have a option to completly disable the code of FSInn updating weather), this result having a flashing weather every 5 secs, because FSInn updates Weather every 5 secs, and FSUIPC modify it just after.

I have full control on the flashing because it happens when i send my weather, and when FSUIPC changes it to correct Winds, Vis, Clouds, Wx dynamics.

I do not agree when you say

Sorry, you can disagree all you like, but I think you are wrong. By your own admissions, you didn't even bother to install FSUIPC and look, or even scan the documentation to see what options there are. Please, why don't you go and do your own proper investigations before coming here with what appear to be unfounded accusations?

FSUIPC somehow reads the weather, sees its not the weather that has been updated by FSUIPC, modify it and apply it back to FS.

It will only do that if the options are selected, and it can only do that for the base (default) global weather. There is a single button (originally designed for WidevieW clients) to clear down default options in any case, and for FS2004 there's a checkbox on the Technical page which, if not selected, stops FSUIPC changing anything but weather injected via its own interface.

Note that other weather programs, FS's own downloads included, do not suffer the problems you describe in any case -- surely, if your theory was true there would be a general outcry against FSUIPC's alleged "interference"?

I'm sorry, you may well have problems but I think you are diagnosing them incorrectly. If you would like to back off a little from what appears to be some amount of agression and discuss things reasonably, maybe we can move forward.

To me, it sounds more likely that there is some conflict between the way your program accesses the FS weather facilities, and what FSUIPC is doing. I would certainly be willing to cooperate in sorting that out, if possible, but I would need to know more, as is seems so would you.

I do not fly on-line and do not want to start now. I can look and try to determine what interaction is going on if you can provide some easy to set-up test version of your program which doesn't need to be online to show the symptoms.

Otherwise I suggest that you look to see why your weather access is causing this, from your end.

Okay?

Regards,

Pete