The simFlight Network Forums

Error Message - "Failed to Start Client

Having some problems with WideFS. WideClient starts OK when I launch it manually from a shortcut on the desktop. It launches Ok when I manually launch it from the shortcut in the StartUp folder of the StartMenu..(path C:\documents and settings\allusers\startmenu\programs\startup).

But when I leave it to launch automatically on windows startup I get the error message "Failed to Start Client". It does continue to execute the line Run1=c:\pfd\pfd.exe and start the project magenta software OK.

FS9 is running and waiting for clients.

Any help

Gary

But when I leave it to launch automatically on windows startup I get the error message "Failed to Start Client".

It sounds like something isn't ready in time to support the link, or perhaps the Server isn't ready.

Why not check the WideClient Log file to see what error is reported?

Maybe the connection is being attempted before the names of the connected PCs (the Server in this case) have been discovered -- I assume this might happen if your "name server" is not ready/accessible/running at startup. If this is the case, why not try specifying the IPaddress in the INI instead of the name?

Regards,

Pete

I experience the same from time to time. It seems to me as if sometimes Windows starts the Autostart items before the network is really initialized. This makes WideClient think, there's no TCP/IP support (although it will be started a few seconds later).

I have 7 PCs with WideClient (WinME) and every week another host shows this message.

Maybe there's a way for WideFS to check if TCP/IP is being loaded or not configured at all?

Ciao,

CATIII

Maybe there's a way for WideFS to check if TCP/IP is being loaded or not configured at all?

Seems odd for Windows to try running programs before basic services are available. I would tend to think it more likely that it cannot convert the Server Name into an IP address. However, a Log showing the error would be useful, that may tell us.

I could maybe consider retrying the connection every few seconds until a connection is successful. Maybe display a Message Box with the error after n seconds (adjustable), but perhaps even then continue trying until someone clicks an "Abort" on the error message. I'd clear the message box in any case if a connection was later obtained.

I think it used to retry but message boxes used to pile up, one upon the other, so the fix was to make such an error fatal. Maybe it is time to reconsider.

I'd like to see the Log first though. Let us try to understand what is happening first. Also, try specifying the IP address instead of the name (I assume and hope you are all using fixed IP addresses, not having those also allocated for you? Otherwise this can also be a problem, and certainly a common cause of stutters and jerks).

Regards,

Pete

I'll try using IP addresses as opposed to computer names. Does WideFS only check once on startup. Is there a way of getting it to continue to check until it locates the IPaddress its looking for or to slow it down a bit.

I've pasted in the WideClient log file. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated. I am using a router and a switch as opposed to just a network switch.

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 6.401] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 10/10/04, Time 11:58:02.437: Client name is GARY4

1156 Attempting to connect now

1250 Trying TCP/IP host "Gary1" ...

1250 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

7578 New Client Application: "pfd" (Id=1984)

128172 Failed to start Client!

128219 Reception maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

128219 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0

128219 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 2915 Freed 2915 Refused 0) *********

Unfortunately I don't have a log file right here, but my wideclient ini-files have only plain ip-addresses set.

If I remember correctly the log file says something about "protocol not supported". That's why I tend to say it's a windows problem in general.

Personally I don't like the idea of a MessageBox() since this implies interaction by the user (difficult without any peripherals connected). A new option like ConnectionRetry or similar will be better.

Best regards,

CATIII

Does WideFS only check once on startup. Is there a way of getting it to continue to check until it locates the IPaddress its looking for or to slow it down a bit.

Not at present, no. For many years now it has done its check for the Server at start-up, and if the Server is unknown it has always issued a failure. I always thought that was unrecoverable, but it seems you've found a case where, somehow (even if the Server PC is up and running?) Windows just doesn't know it.

I've pasted in the WideClient log file.

Yes, that confirms the problem is that Windows doesn't know the Server. At that time is the Server PC switched on and ready? (not necessarily with FS running -- Wideclient will wait for WideServer).

I am using a router and a switch as opposed to just a network switch.

Same here, but I don't think it is that. If you don't use fixed IP addresses for each PC, that could be a problem (and it isn't a good idea in any case as it can lead to performance impairment -- stutters etc).

If you are using fixed IP addresses, see if it will connect using that rather than the name.

I will certainly consider changing WideClient so that it keeps retrying this "unrecoverable error", but I can't do this immediately. Let's see how you get on first in any case.

Regards,

Pete

If I remember correctly the log file says something about "protocol not supported". That's why I tend to say it's a windows problem in general.

It's a bit odd then that I've never heard of that happening before. As well as WideClient wanting to use TCP/IP on start-up there are many other programs doing this, which actually install that way -- I use Mailwasher, for instance, which starts up with Windows and checks your email for you, immediately. I really find it hard to believe that Windows would dare start any object program before starting its installed services.

Regards,

Pete

Yes...changing the server address from a name to its IP address appears to have worked. I agree with Pete....seems a bit odd that Windows hasn't got itself going before it starts servicing 3rd party applications. But it works!!!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated, and thanks Pete for such a excellent piece of software that makes everything possible.

Gary