The simFlight Network Forums

Squawkbox crashes after installing FSUIPC 3.40

Hello all

My problem is that Squawkbox 2.3 beta crashes after I start it, so I cannot go flying online to VATSIM.

When I have done the session searches and all and get to the place where the aircraft window should come, there just comes an error reporting message about Squawkbox, saying it doesn´t respond. Then, one time I tried to get it work, the aircraft window already appeared, but then there came an error window saying: "One or more of your programs has an unregistered copy of FSUIPC. Please see FSUIPC.LOG for details."

I have already registered Squawkbox with this new version of FSUIPC, so I dont think that´s the case. I also had HostSB started before I started Squawkbox itself.

Here is the very beginning of my FSUIPC.LOG, I think the errors have something to do with Squawkbox. Someone here who can read it better?

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.400 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

[Continuation log requested by user]

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

503453 System time = 15:18:31, FS2004 time = 17:48:20 (16:48Z)

503453 WeatherOptions set, now 0000B027 (timer=0)

504250 ***ERROR C0000005 at 21136220 ChainedProcFF

504250 *** Access violation trying to write address 0001A438

504250 *** EAX 21136220 EBX 00000000 ECX 21150000 EDX 00000000 EDI 00000000 ESI 00000000

504250 Stack -1 (011E6748) = 0042CB71, Bad=N

504250 Stack -2 (011E67F8) = 00000005, Bad=Y

504250 Stack -3 (61666544) = 20746C75, Bad=N

504250 Stack -4 (00000000) = 00000000, Bad=Y

Here is the very beginning of my FSUIPC.LOG, I think the errors have something to do with Squawkbox. Someone here who can read it better?

You have a corrupted installation of FS2004, one on which you have run the FS9.1 update but where that update has not succeeded. By the look of the error reported in FSUIPC's log, the CONTROLS.DLL, for instance, is the one from the original FS2004 release whereas the WEATHER.DLL is the one from the 9.1 update.

If you look at the announcement I made in this forum about FS9.1, the one at the top of this forum, you will find a list of those DLLs changed by the 9.1 update. All those should bear a date in September 2004. Otherwise you have a partially installed FS9.1 update which is going to cause you problems.

I have received a few reports like this, not actually the same as yours (usually the other way around -- an old WEATHER.DLL in an otherwise updated FS9.1), and it is really a bit of a pain, so I am currently testing a version of FSUIPC which tries to cope with any stange mixture of FS DLLs from FS9.0 and FS9.1. I will log two especially important ones (CONTROLS and WEATHER) so that folks can see for themselves whether their system is okay or in a bit of a mess.

I hope to release this updated version of FSUIPC in a week or so. Meanwhile I can only suggest you check your FS2004 installation and try to correct the partial update situation.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete

You sure got the point, I just remembered that I had a modified Weather.DLL in my Modules-folder.

Looks like I got the FS9.1 update to install properly when I replaced the modified Weather.DLL with the original one from CD. But I still have the problem that Squawkbox crashes (there comes the "does not respond"-error when there should come the aircraft window), do you think it could work with an older version of FSUIPC? If yes, where can I find an older version? Haven´t found one yet that would work for FS9.

Or perhaps it won´t crash anymore with the newer version?

Looks like I got the FS9.1 update to install properly when I replaced the modified Weather.DLL with the original one from CD. But I still have the problem that Squawkbox crashes (there comes the "does not respond"-error when there should come the aircraft window), do you think it could work with an older version of FSUIPC?

You can only use FSUIPC 3.40 or later (when a later one exists) with an updated FS 9.1. There should be no reason for Squawkbox "crashing" -- though from what you say it isn't crashing exactly, is it?

Where's the log from FSUIPC for this, please? Are you sure you registered Squawkbox as an application, using its Freeware Key, or is your FSUIPC fully user-registered?

I assume you have checked the FS DLLs against the list I mentioned?

Regards,

Pete

Here´s the log:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.400 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

6797 System time = 15:30:37

6797 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

6797 System time = 15:30:37, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

32109 C:\Documents and Settings\Late\Omat tiedostot\Flight Simulator Files\MD83.flt

32172 AIRCRAFT\FFXSGA_MD80_Finnair\Super80.air

32328 Aircraft="McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Finnair"

32937 Module identified = "ILH_TCAS.GAU"

51344 Module identified = "PMDGOptions.DLL"

51344 Module "PMDGOptions.DLL" access registration is okay

51797 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

80515 C:\Documents and Settings\Late\Omat tiedostot\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

80609 Module "ILH_TCAS.gau" access registration is okay

81031 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

330890 System time = 15:36:01, FS2004 time = 17:50:40 (16:50Z)

330906 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 560 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ****

No errors there, so I assume FSUIPC is doing fine? And yes, I checked my DLL:s from your list, everything was fine there. I´m also sure that I have registered Squawkbox with FSUIPC version 3.40, and this is not user registered.

But Squawkbox is still "crashing"(or what do you say when the program doesn´t respond anymore :?), I guess I´ll have to search help from VATSIM support forum.

But still, thankyou for your help!

Here´s the log

No errors there, so I assume FSUIPC is doing fine?

Yes, that's good.

Furthermore, there is absolutely no sign of Squawkbox even attempting to access FSUIPC -- so it doesn't look like it is getting that far. I don't think this can be anything to do with either your FS9.1 or FSUIPC 3.40 upgrades. Something else is bad in the Squawkbox side separate entirely from this -- unless it attempts to connect to Multiplayer before FSUIPC and that is where it is reporting this "no response"?

But Squawkbox is still "crashing"(or what do you say when the program doesn´t respond anymore :?)

I call that "hanging" (or "freezing" for visual things like FS). But you did say it was reporting an error, didn't you? Here:

there just comes an error reporting message about Squawkbox, saying it doesn´t respond

... or did I misunderstand that? Is that a message from Windows when you try to do something, rather than a message from Squawkbox complaining about FS or FSUIPC?

I guess I´ll have to search help from VATSIM support forum.

Yes, good idea. I'm sorry I have no idea now. You could try a fresh install of SB in case the earlier fiasco with a partially-installed FS9.1 mucked up something vital in its data files.

Regards,

Pete

Looks like I got it working at last, actually quite soon after my last post, I was just so busy on flying that this topic got out of my mind ;)

I got it fixed just by not starting Squawkbox with HostSB.DLL, but with SBHost.DLL outside FS. Weird as it doesnt work with HostSB anymore, but never mind it because flying is actually more fun and realistic without HostSB in the window, in my opinion.

... or did I misunderstand that? Is that a message from Windows when you try to do something, rather than a message from Squawkbox complaining about FS or FSUIPC?

It was a message from windows.

Thanks again for help!

SB 2.3 is not very stable. I have noticed that it is best to usually start it first before anything else that uses FSUIPC - it appears to crash less that way. I have seen it crash a lot just before the "click here to get into the action!" -dialog. So what I did is start SB first, then any weather software, FSBUS router software etc..

I dont know any real reasons why it is so, but it appeared to be crash less that way.

Been waiting for SB3 while building my home simulator cockpit in the meanwhile .. :)

//Tuomas