The simFlight Network Forums

No turbulence with new versions of FSUIPC

For some reason there's no way I can make FSUIPC 3.4 produce any turbulence. I have the registered version.

I changed the turbulence parameter in the FS9.cfg putting from 1 to 0.50 with no result, then I tried putting it at 4 and nothing again.

Supposedly new versions of FSUIPC have decreased turbulence then I tried to install a previous version of FSUIPC (3.2) but since I have the FS9 patch installed FS9 won't work. Then I tried to uninstall the patch and got a the screen saying "Press Ctrl-C to stop from undoing patch" and "press any key to continue". Nowhere it is mentioned about deleting a Backup folder like it says in the instructions, and of course no matter how long I leave the window opened, nothing happens. If I press any letter the window gets closed but the patch IS STILL THERE.

Then, knowing that the box in which you could set the amount of turbulence in FSUIPC 2.975 is gone in these FS9 versions, I checked the FSUIPC.ini of FS2002 and copy-pasted the line with that parameter into FSUIPC 3.4. I thought I was going to get some error message but nothing happened and when I crossed some clouds and YES, my CRJ was shaking badly. Never thought I would be happy with turbulence (who likes it in real life).

The problem now is that I have to add the line every time I start FS9 and it seems the parameter dissapears sometime while I am flying since at some moment I stop getting turbulence.

Please help me, either with FSUIPC or with uninstalling the patch.

Thanks,

Leo

For some reason there's no way I can make FSUIPC 3.4 produce any turbulence. I have the registered version.

There won't be any at all unless you disable FSUIPC wind smoothing, assuming you have it enabled. The two facilities are mutually incompatible I'm afraid.

Supposedly new versions of FSUIPC have decreased turbulence then I tried to install a previous version of FSUIPC (3.2)

No, there's no difference in any versions. It's all dependent on whether you want smoothing on or not.

Then, knowing that the box in which you could set the amount of turbulence in FSUIPC 2.975 is gone in these FS9 versions

Is it? Which box is that, please? I'm confused now. I don't remember ever providing any "level of turbulence" box. there was a facility to convert FS's "variance" into "turbulence" with a settable strength, but that was because the wind turbulence didn't work. It does now, there's no point in converting it. Wind variance works as well, separately.

I checked the FSUIPC.ini of FS2002 and copy-pasted the line with that parameter into FSUIPC 3.4. I thought I was going to get some error message but nothing happened and when I crossed some clouds and YES, my CRJ was shaking badly.

You are talking about CLOUD turbulence, not WIND?

Please, don't keep it a secret. What parameter was it? I will check. Honestly, I've not knowingly removed any facility still useful.

it seems the parameter dissapears sometime while I am flying since at some moment I stop getting turbulence.

If you are relying on one of the "random" turbulence facilities then, yes, it is supposed to vary. That wouldn't be anything to do with any parameter.

Where is the weather coming from in the first place? FSUIPC cannot add these things to FS's own weather, only the weather from external weather programs, and I think most of those control the turbulence effects themselves.

Please be a little more specific in each stage of your report, then I may understand it and be able to help.

Regards,

Pete

Mr Dowson,

I knew you were going to answer but never expected such a fast reply. Thank you very much!!!

The parameter that does not appear in the FS9 versions of FSUIPC is "Set turbulence as variability of this strength factor" that is in the "Winds" tab of FSUIPC 2.975.

The line I add in FSUIPC.ini 3.40 is "WindVarFactor=18" which I assume is the one referring to the above mentioned box.

The weather came in two different opportunities from Active Sky WXre and from the Vatsim online weather. Never had any turbulence until I added this line, or at least that is my experience.

On the other hand, disabling the smooth winds change won't it have the undesirable effect of winds changing so fast that the aircraft gets overstressed?

In FS2002 versions you could have a lot of turbulence and winds smoothing at the same time, isn't it possible to do teh same for FS9?

Thanks again,

Leo

The parameter that does not appear in the FS9 versions of FSUIPC is "Set turbulence as variability of this strength factor" that is in the "Winds" tab of FSUIPC 2.975.

The line I add in FSUIPC.ini 3.40 is "WindVarFactor=18" which I assume is the one referring to the above mentioned box.

This is the one which converts wind turbulence (which didn't work anyway) into wind variance (changes in direction) which did. Both work in FS2004, which is why that facility was removed.

On the other hand, disabling the smooth winds change won't it have the undesirable effect of winds changing so fast that the aircraft gets overstressed?

That's a bug in FS2004 which unfortunately we now know won't be fixed till FS2006. However, it really isn't that common. It never affected me and it took me a long long time to reproduce it enough to convince Microsoft they had a problem!

In FS2002 versions you could have a lot of turbulence and winds smoothing at the same time, isn't it possible to do teh same for FS9?

Well, FSUIPC fixes some things in FS2002 and some things differently in FS2004. It's user's choice I'm afraid. I can't fix everything.

Regards,

Pete

I was forgetting. My wind smoothing is on, and I have turbulence anyway, mostly when I cross through clouds. The wind doesn't change in speed or direction, but my AC shakes nicely, such as it did in FS2002 (This with the added parameter in teh .ini file.

Hmmm. Seems like you've found a deficiency in my smoothing :wink: -- the variance isn't subject to the smoothing and it sounds like that is what you are enjoying.

I'll take a look at enabling the turbulence through variance again in a forthcoming release.

Thanks,

Pete

I'll be looking forward to your next release then. Do you have any idea when would you develop it?

Well, I was planning to release 3.41 this week if possible, mainly to deal with those mixed FS9.0 and FS9.1 systems folks have got themselves into and which are causing me too much support work otherwise.

However, a few other things have come up and I am not so sure it will be this week now, but I hope so.

However, I don't know if I can deal with this "turbulence as variance" thing quickly or reliably enough to fit that in for this release. I need to look at it and understand it first. I don't know how it is by-passing the wind direction smoothing part of the wind-smoothing routine, for instance.

All I can say for now is that I will try to make time to look at it before release and if it looks easy and not dangerous I'll slip it in, but if it needs a lot more investigation and testing I will have to leave it to a later release, maybe 2-4 weeks off.

Regards,

Pete

I beg you to accept me as a beta tester of this version including the new (or old, depends on how you see it) turbulence parameter.

Sorry, there's no point.

I've investigated this. That parameter (WindVarFactor) is actually not used in FS2004 at all. The entire Weather code for FS2004 is separate from that for FS2002 and FS2000 (which are pretty much the same).

I'm afraid that whatever you experienced when setting that parameter was merely a coincidence. I've looked to see if there is any way I can introduce it, and, really, there isn't. The system is so completely different.

As far as I can see, the only way of getting wind and cloud turbulence (AND direction variance) is by switching my Wind Smoothing off.

I will think about this, however, and see if there's a way I can detect the fact that there should be some turbulence, and allow this to occur even though the smoothing is applied. This will be a very complex operation, though, and I cannot start thinking about it until I have cleared the decks of those things I already have on my plate.

Meanwhile, I strongly suggest you turn FSUIPC's wind smoothing off. If you avoid flying in parts of the world with a very dense collection of METAR stations (JFK, ORD, LAX, etc) then I really don't think you will see many of those nasty windshear direction changes in any case. As I said earlier, I actually found it quite difficult to make one happen in any case, when I was really trying!

Regards,

Pete