The simFlight Network Forums

Screen goes dark

I have FSUIPC 3.40 and just purchased a key. I have installed the 9.1 update. Tonight because the aircraft basically runs out of control on final I reinstalled the software and update and copied your dll to the modules directory. I also did nothing with any settings. I am running a sidewinder precision 2 which does not have forcefeedback. I checked and do not believe there are other copies on my system of fsuipc. I have windows 98se, a AMD 2800 and via chipset and get frame rates anywhere from 12 to 20(where it's locked). Anyway when I select the FSUIPC there is a extremely brief (unreadable its so fast) view of I believe to be the fsuipc intro screen then the screen goes blank. I hit the Esc key the cockpit comes back up. This process will continue whenever I try to call it up. Of course I have been unable to enter the key. Any ideas? Thnask you.

Anyway when I select the FSUIPC there is a extremely brief (unreadable its so fast) view of I believe to be the fsuipc intro screen then the screen goes blank. I hit the Esc key the cockpit comes back up. This process will continue whenever I try to call it up. Of course I have been unable to enter the key. Any ideas?

No, I've not heard of anything like that before. The FSUIPC options window is simply a standard Windows dialogue or property sheet.

If this is in full screen mode, try in Windowed mode (ALT+ENTER) and vice versa.

Other posibilities are that something has replaced one of the standard Windows system libraries with a bad one -- the most likely candidate there is COMCTL32.DLL. Do a search for that and see what version it is (right click, Properties-Version). On my Win98SE system it is 5.81. If yours is earlier, try re-installing (Start-Run then enter SFC and press enter, to run System File Checker. You can specify the file to be installed then).

Finally, the black screen does make it sound like it maybe a video card or driver problem -- that would certainly be indicated if it is okay in Windowed mode but not full screen. If you are using one of those old 3dfx Voodoo cards, for instance, then I suspect it cannot superimpose a standard Windows display in full screen mode.

Regards

Pete

You are correct. I was able to access the registration screen without a problem in the windowed mode. I have radeon 128MB 8500 and I believe the latest drivers. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I really cannot solve that sort of problem -- it will be some problem with drivers for sure. It will no doubt affect all non-Direct3D dialogues in full screen mode. I do have a Radeon 8500 XT Pro on one of my PCs and it all works perfectly on that -- if you cannot find later drivers get back to me and I'll see what version I have. (The PC isn't on at present, it isn't in this room).

Regards,

Pete

• 4 months later...

I am facing a similar problem since last few months. The only add-ons I have installed during this time are the freeware aircrafts. My system is Intel 1.7GHz - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and DirectX 9.0c. I tried Peter's suggestion from the FSUIPC user guide (3.47) about adding Init...=0 to the FSUIPC.ini file but that did not help. I am planning to update my video driver tonight. Will let you know if it helps.

I use FsFlightAssistant (voice recognition utility) and was starting it from within FSUIPC - so (based on Peter's user guide) I thought that that was the reason. Then I stopped loading that program but still have the proble.

Pramod

i have the same problem to. After chosing the departure airport and selecting the aircraft i change to windowed mode to calculate the fuel with keroplan, also i check the settings in active sky (both the newest version). When i try to switch to fullscreen, the window goes black and the mouse pointer blinks when i turn it over the black window. Sometimes FS2004 ends with an error after a view seconds, or if not i klick on close and then the error comes. The Problem is at every Airport and with almost every aircraft but most with Eurowings A320 with flight 1 fmc.

The Error came the first time after uptdating fsuipc to the latest version. When Keroplan is off the error comes also but not so often. When i turn Activesky off, it makes no change. I have a full registered Version of Fsuipc, the last way i know is to put the external progs like activesky, fmc and keroplan on my second pc. But it makes for me no sense to pay 25.- Euro for WideFS when i don´t know that the problem is then solved, you know? Is there a chance to create a trial-serial for checking this or must i buy widefs? (Please not my wife kills me if i spend too much money for flusi !)

PS: My System: Win xp prof., fs2004, amd2300, gforce fx5200 (buuh, i know), via kt-400 chipset, 1 gb corsair ram. On this PC Flusi is the only game, no other games are installed, just office, nero, etc. drivers are the newest for all komponents, direct x new, all win-updates installed)

Greetz from Germany (i know, my english is not very well)

Christian Sch.

(EDDF)

@mathurpc: Have you also installed external flusi-software, like active-sky or so?

Can it be, that external Weather Programms makes this error?

Greetz

Christian Sch. (Online-Pilot at Eurowings-VA)

(EDDF)

No, I have not. I have also noted that it happens only in the full-screen mode and not in window mode.

Pramod

I have a similar problem. My FS9 crashes to the desktop every 10 minutes or so. I am running a compaq presario 2.4 Ghz P4, GeForceFX5200 256 MBDDR Video, 1GB RAM and CHpropedals and yoke. I tried everything I can think off including updating the video drivers and directX. Any suggestions