The simFlight Network Forums

Question for Pete Dowson GPSOUT

Hello Pete,

I use Jeppesen Flightmap Ver. 9.04 and like to use Gpsout together with Fs2004.

Fs2004 runs on my desktop and Gpsout has to run on my laptop.

As you mention in the Gpsout manual the connection between the two computers has to be made by a serial null modem cable.

My desktop has two RS-232 (DB-9 Female) connections.

My laptop not. Only I have a DB25 female (printer) connection. The question is what kind of cable I do need.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Jack de Heer

My desktop has two RS-232 (DB-9 Female) connections.

My laptop not. Only I have a DB25 female (printer) connection. The question is what kind of cable I do need.

If there's no serial (COM) port on the laptop then the only thing I can think of is getting a USB serial port -- and adapter which plugs into a USB socket and comes with a driver which makes it look to Windows like a COM port. I use several -- there never seem to be enough COM ports!

If you've neither a COM port nor USB then, I'm sorry, but I don't know of any solution. Maybe there's a serial port adapter for a printer port, but I've not heard of one.

BTW, a "null modem cable" is actualy more complex than that needed by GPSout. Since it only outputs data, it doesn't need the input connection, so basically it comes down to two wires -- a common return link, and the TX-out on the FS PC connected to the RX-in on the receiving PC. The term "null modem" comes about because if you want to buy rather than make a cable, that's the name the correct cross-over cables usually go by. A cross-over is needed between two PC COM ports because an ordinary straight connection cable ("RS232 extension cable", probably) would link RX to RX and TX to TX -- no good at all.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

This means that I can use a USB cable from laptop to desktop? You write to use software that the laptop and desktop see the usb as serial. What do I have to use for software in this, and can I use a normal cable (USB both ends) or do I need a special one for this?

Sorry to ask you all of this, but this kind of materie is complete out of my knowledge.

Best regards,

Jack

This means that I can use a USB cable from laptop to desktop?

No. You use two USB cables, probably provided with the serial adapters, to connect the USB ports to the serial adapters (pieces of hardware). THEN you connect the two serial adapters with a null modem cable. you install the drivers that come with the serial adapters and this makes those USB connections look like new COM ports.

Regards,

Pete