The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS and SquakBox sounds

Hello Pete

My first post here, so thank you for a great set of products.

I use FS 9.1 on a Windows 2000 machine, FSUIPC 3.4, WideFS 6.4 and SqawkBox 2.3.5 on a Windows ME machine.

My problem is that SB only generates sounds when the WideFS.exe window has focus; the rest of the time it is silent.

Is this a known issue (I couldn't find it in a search through this forum) and is there anything I can do about it?

Many thanks

Ben

My problem is that SB only generates sounds when the WideFS.exe window has focus; the rest of the time it is silent.

Really? I can't imagine what WideFS has got to do with it. There are no sound producing routines in WideFS.

Do you mean that Squawkbox sits "within" WideClient, in the same way as it might in FS if run there? If so, then it seems that's the way they've programmed the SB sounds. You would need to ask them if it can be changed.

I suppose they've done it like that to be similar to FS -- FS's own sounds do not play if FS doesn't have the focus.

Regards,

Pete

Pete

Thank you for the reply.

Do you mean that Squawkbox sits "within" WideClient, in the same way as it might in FS if run there?

No. SquawkBox sits in SBHost, a top level window provided as part of the SB package for that purpose. It runs quite separately from WideClient.

Really? I can't imagine what WideFS has got to do with it.

Nor can I, but it definitely happens. If WideClient has focus, I get sounds whenever a message is received in SB, when it doesn't I don't. I'm not the only one either, one of my fellow BAVers has exactly the same responses.

Any ideas gratefully received. Regards

Ben

No. SquawkBox sits in SBHost, a top level window provided as part of the SB package for that purpose. It runs quite separately from WideClient.

In that case one or other of those programs must contain explicit code to turn off the sounds if FS loses focus. After all, to them, WideClient looks like FS, that's its job.

There's no way WideClient could change that. Maybe there's an option in the SB programs? Have you asked on the SB forum or newsgroup or whatever?

Regards,

Pete

Pete

Have you asked on the SB forum or newsgroup or whatever?

I have searched the AVSIM SquawkBox Forum and found one article on this topic, but it's just several guys with exactly the same problem and the same solution, ie ensure that WideClient has focus. I'll post a question there and keep searching; if anything comes up I'll post here.

Thanks for your time.

Ben