The simFlight Network Forums

Wideclient and FS9 on same PC but Wideclient serving another

Hi Pete,

If it is a case of RTFM I am sorry and just tell me to do it!

I have 3 PCs networked - all win xp - TCP/IP

PC1 FS9 server wideserver

PC2 FS9, wideclient PM CDU and wideview

PC3 wideclient, pm PFD

the problem is on PC2 it has a dual head video card that I use to display 2 of the 3 outside views for my steup using Wideview software. I would also like to use the PM CDU via wideclient but if I start wideclient then cdu then FS9 on PC2 fot the views it tells me FS9 is all ready running and if I start FS9 then wideview then wideclient it says wideclient is already running (fs98main)error....

I have the sever ip addressed to PC1 but it is still giving me problems.

Any advice or a point in the right direction (ie RTFM (I have )) would be great.

Scott Stephens

PC1 FS9 server wideserver

PC2 FS9, wideclient PM CDU and wideview

PC3 wideclient, pm PFD

You can't do that I'm afraid. Well, not easily. WideClient and FS9 both try to provide the same services to the applications. WideClient will not run, at least in default mode, with FS9 also running in the same PC, and vice versa.

the problem is on PC2 it has a dual head video card that I use to display 2 of the 3 outside views for my steup using Wideview software.

Another problem there in any case. There aren't that many video cards/drivers which support OpenGL hardware acceleration on multiple monitors -- even if you are only using one of them it may not work. PFD needs OpenGL hardware acceleration. But try it (without FS9 running) and see.

There is a way to make WideClient and FS run together on the same PC -- you have to tell WideClient to use a different ClassName. Please check the WideFS documentation -- the parameter you need is there someplace.

This may not allow the PFD program to connect to it --- that may have to be changed. I don't know if PM provides for possibly different FS classnames, you'd have to check with PM support. There may also be a conflict if FSUIPC is installed in that copy of FS9.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'll have a look for the parameter now. I have already found the PM openGL problem with duel head cards, hence the reason I am only going to run the CDU on the second head of the ATI9800. My trick would be to install a PCi card - I wonder if that would fix it...anyway thanks for the (quick) response - you do shareware developers proud with your support for the hobby.

Scott Stephens