The simFlight Network Forums

Status Generic IPCServer

I know at one time you were working with Schiratti on building a generic IPC server to allou use of FSUIPC for interface to other simulators (FlightGear, XPlane). This would allow use of Project Magenta displays with those simulators. Are you guys still working on this?

How about an interim solution. Provide alternate FSUIPC locations for all MSFS variables not updated in slew mode in MSFS. That would allow use of MSFS in slew mode as an interface between other simulators and Project Magenta displays.

Thanks

I know at one time you were working with Schiratti on building a generic IPC server to allou use of FSUIPC for interface to other simulators (FlightGear, XPlane). This would allow use of Project Magenta displays with those simulators. Are you guys still working on this?

I did such a program for Enrico. It is in his hands. The problems now are writing interface programs for the other simulators. I think XPlane was nearly all done, though with insuffient data for PM to operate correctly, but then a new version of XPlane came out which ruined that work, or something like that. I think they are holding off, possibly pending something from Austin Meyer.

I don't know anything about FlightGear, but if that's the open source sim then it should be relatively easy for someone to deal with it. The problem then is financing. These things are full time jobs for Enrico and his team, and certainly I'm not really interested in spreading myself any thinner I'm afraid.

How about an interim solution. Provide alternate FSUIPC locations for all MSFS variables not updated in slew mode in MSFS. That would allow use of MSFS in slew mode as an interface between other simulators and Project Magenta displays.

That doesn't need anything from me, only someone to request spare offsets in FSUIPC's address space and persuade PM to reprogram everything to them, but it doesn't seem to me to be a good or cheap way to go. In fact it seems downright daft really, as it would still need someone to write the interface for the other simulators, so you gain nothing and work harder to do it. Best to just write the interface for the other simulators direct through WideClient to the IPCServer.

Regards,

Pete