The simFlight Network Forums

Can GPSOut be run under the WideFS client?

I use FS2004 and WideFS to a 2nd PC that runs ActiveSky & it works great.

I run TOPO USA on the 2nd PC and have a serial cable running from the FS2004 PC that runs GPSOut and it works great.

Is it possible to run GPSOut under WideFS on the 2nd PC and a short serial cable between the 2 serial ports on the 2nd PC rather than run the serial cable between the 2 PCs?

TIA,

Dean

Is it possible to run GPSOut under WideFS on the 2nd PC and a short serial cable between the 2 serial ports on the 2nd PC rather than run the serial cable between the 2 PCs?

No, sorry. GPSout is actually an FS DLL (module) which only runs inside FS. It pre-dates FSUIPC by quite a way and probably WideFS too, though I can't remember that long ago I'm afraid.

A program could be written to run through the FSUIPC interface. I don't think GPSout uses anything which is not, nowe, available from FSUIPC. But it is another separate job and not one I have time for at present I'm afraid.

What would be the reason for this, by the way? I don't think GPSout has any measurable affect on FS performance, that is not unless you are asking for a lot of data (too many sentence options) and you are also setting too slow a line speed and/or too short an interval for updates.

For the usual need, 2 or 3 sentences once a second, the default 4800 bps should be fine, but try for the highest speed your receiving program can be set to. Currently I use something like 115200 with FliteMap.

Regards,

Pete

Peter,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I saw that it was a DLL & I checked the docs. I guess I knew the answer, but thought I'd verify.

Two reasons I wanted to do this:

1. Save the serial port on the FS2004.

2. Get rid of another cable that goes across the back of my desk; my 2nd PC is my home server.

Not a big problem.

Thanks for such great products & your contribution to the simming community.

Thanks again,

Dean