The simFlight Network Forums

GPSOUT over a LAN

I think I found the answer and the answer is NO!

Hollister

It sounds like you've connected your PCs as a Network. There are no IP addresses used in a one-to-one serial connection. It's just three wires -- read, write and common, with the read and write crossed over.

GPSout and FliteStar connect by serial cable. there is no GPS input to FliteStar other than on a serial port as far as I know. Did you check?

The README file I supply clearly says "connect your flying PC to your moving map PC with a serial "null modem" cable (ie send and receive crossed over), and configure your map program accordingly.". I do not know of any NMEA standard for GPS connection via Network, whether Ethernet or USB or any other means. I think it only works with a simple dedicated COM port (serial) connection.

If you know of a moving map application which can receive standard GPS input by any other means please let me have full details, and also the GPS devices which can provide such output.

Have you checked the FliteStar documentation to see how it wants the connection? My FliteMap only allows COM ports to be selected, with selectable line speed. You can run it in test mode to see what is arriving and

Can GPSOUT be connected to a laptop computer that doesn't have a COM Port using the ethernet port?

No, because there's no point. What is at the receiving end to "feed" the program the NMEA data as if it came over a serial connection? I don't know of any programs accepting stanard NMEA data over Ethernet.

I might have to go out and buy one of those USB to COM port adaptors?

Yes,

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete,

Thank you for the reply.

I just got home from BestBuy with a USB/COM Port adater.

$35.00 USD

My laptop is running the moving map program and all is well.

Thanks again for all the work you do with neat little programs like GPSOUT.

It is most appreciated.

Happy Holidays,

Hollister

The most recent NMEA spec (NMEA 2000) adds the capability to distribute NMEA positional information over a shipboard ethernet system. I would suppose to various autopilot/mapping/sounding equipment around the boat.

That's fine, but where's the PC software with such Ethernet reception capability?

Regards,

Pete

Good question. Without having the actual spec in front of me I would suspect the NMEA data is obviously not treated the same as it is in the v-0183 serial spec. Because the shipboard equipment that is receiving the data are stand-alone units (not PCs) with a direct Ethernet connection, I would guess it would be some sort of packet-type transmission. The reception protocol would most definately be covered in the 2000 spec as well. If you want the 2000 spec Pete, say the word. I will attempt to get it for you.

There are freeware and payware programs available on-line that redirect a com port to an ethernet port and vice-versa.

Good question. Without having the actual spec in front of me I would suspect the NMEA data is obviously not treated the same as it is in the v-0183 serial spec. Because the shipboard equipment that is receiving the data are stand-alone units (not PCs) with a direct Ethernet connection, I would guess it would be some sort of packet-type transmission. The reception protocol would most definately be covered in the 2000 spec as well. If you want the 2000 spec Pete, say the word. I will attempt to get it for you.

Thanks for the info and the offer, but really, unless there are already applications which can be used on PCs which can operate using this method, I don't see any point in me spending time on it, at leat not at present. I've too much else to do as it is, and adding Ethernet support to GPSout is not going to be trivial even if it were simple TCP/IP packets. If they are using their own packet protocol then it gets even more complicated.

Regards,

Pete

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I've seen a few people ask the same question while looking for an answer to my own question. The answer always seems to be "no" but I've been doing it for a while now...

GPSout can be used on a lan by emulating a pair of com ports. I am using Network Serial Port Kit (trial version, it's very expensive!) and it works like a charm, so I can view Flitemap on my laptop while FS runs on my desktop.

I was unable to get the beta GPSout/Widefs combo to work.

I was unable to get the beta GPSout/Widefs combo to work.

That's interesting, because I am using it all the time here. Can you tell me more, please? After all, the purpose of Beta releases is to gain feedback. if it didn't work for you I'd like to understand why. Please tell me exactly what you did and what happened.

Regards,

Pete

I don't have the beta's installed currently so I'm going by memory.

Simply, WideFS server did connect to the client on the second PC and attempted to activate GPSout. I've just found this in the log:

125 Opening GPSout port 1, speed=19200 -- FAILED!

The same settings work using the virtual serial ports mentioned in my previous post. Perhaps the virtual ports are the problem in this case? My laptop doesn't have a real port to test, unless firewire is treated as a com port?

I'm not an expert in these things by any stretch so feel free to let me know if you want any further info.

Simply, WideFS server did connect to the client on the second PC and attempted to activate GPSout. I've just found this in the log:

125 Opening GPSout port 1, speed=19200 -- FAILED!

Aha! There won't be a port called "1" -- that needs to be "COM1" or similar. You have the parameter set incorrectly in the [GPSout] section of WideServer.INI -- it needs to be Port= not a port 'number' -- the parameters are simply the same ones that a direct GPSout-to-COM would have.

Perhaps the virtual ports are the problem in this case? My laptop doesn't have a real port to test, unless firewire is treated as a com port?

It is actually a little unlikely that your Notebook doesn't have some devices using COM port numbers up. On my Toshiba Qosmio (with no actual COM ports at all) there are a set of 10 COM ports listed called "Toshiba BT Port" which are, I think, virtual ports created for use by the built-in Modem. They are COM10 to COM19.

And, yes, it is possible for a firewire port to have a driver with a virtual COM port too, though I don't think this is a regular thing.

That freeware MixW port-pair driver I supply does need to be given free ports to operate with, and it doesn't seem to check. Best to find a pair otherwise not allocated -- you can find out by

Settings - Control Panel - System - Device Manager, Ports(COM & LPT).

However, the most likely problem in your case was simply that you put "Port=1" instead of "Port=COM1". I've always used port names not numbers -- and it has come in useful, because some folks have found ways of using USB ports by referring to a USB device name instead.

If you could try again and let me know how you get on I'd be grateful.

I also tried a Network Serial Port Kit (by Fabula Tech), and actually bought a license for it, and whilst it works well for some hardware (PFC serial connected) that I wanted to be able to test from a different PC, I found it wasn't reliable enough to stop FliteMap timing out the GPSout connection sometimes. When I checked what was going on it seemed to go through periods when it piled up the GPSout transmissions and release them all in one big bundle. I reported the problem to them and they are investigating.

However, it was after that I decided to try to devise my own system, which I've been using here ever since. I was even going to write a virtual port driver, but found that freeware one instead.

Oh, BTW, after assigning the pair of ports in the MixW program, I found you had to re-boot the system. Unusual these days, but it didn't work till I did. However, once installed it seems to work well and invisibly with no attention needed.

Regards,

Pete

531 Opening GPSout port Com1, speed=9600 -- OK!

You did state Port=ComN rather than just Port=N in your instructions, but for some reason I completely ignored that despite reading it several times!

After some poking around I've found only one 'real' com port (attached to the internal modem) though having never used it I'd forgotten it even existed. This is academic now though as WideFS/GPSout are a much more elegant solution, and the fact that it's now working means your programs have no problem with the virtual serial solution.

I also noticed that data is flowing more steadily rather than bunching up as you mentioned (I've been using the same virtual driver as you).

I'd like to say that the quality of your support is very impressive.

Thanks

Matt[/code]

Try this link:

http://www.hwgroup.cz/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

It's completely free. It's made to work with this company's equipment, but they state it may work stand alone too. Unzip the program to both computers, set one up as the server and the other as the client, using each others IP addresses. Works very well. The file name is;

HW_VirtualSerialPort.zip

The linked page has very detailed info on how to get it working.

Pete,

the ToshibaBT Ports are virtual COM ports for use with Blue Tooth. I had to turn off Blue Tooth and remove all associated software to get rid of them. On my tablet PC those ports were actually interfering with the USB to Serial converter I installed to act as COM1. I'm not quite sure why, but one I removed them it started behaving.

Dave

the ToshibaBT Ports are virtual COM ports for use with Blue Tooth. I had to turn off Blue Tooth and remove all associated software to get rid of them. On my tablet PC those ports were actually interfering with the USB to Serial converter I installed to act as COM1. I'm not quite sure why, but one I removed them it started behaving.

Ah, "BT = Blue Tooth", not "British Telecom"! . I should have guessed.

However, everything else seems okay so I won't remove it.

Thanks,

Pete