The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with AdvDisplay 2.13

Hi Peter,

After installing Version 2.13 of AdvDisplay, I began to experience extremely long loading times when selecting aircraft. I normally start FS by loading a saved cold and dark default Cessna and then selecting a PMDG 737NG aircraft. With the previous AdvDisplay Version 2.123 it took only a few seconds for the PMDG aircraft to load. With Version 2.13 it takes almost 3 minutes! My system is a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 under Windows XP Professional. Needless to say I have gone back to Version 2.123.

Cheers,

Sandy

After installing Version 2.13 of AdvDisplay, I began to experience extremely long loading times when selecting aircraft.Needless to say I have gone back to Version 2.123.

It won't be AdvDisplay doing any of that. The only change was to deal with the case where the SAME aircraft was loaded again. There's no other change to any part of the code, whatsoever, and certainly when loading a different aircraft the actions are identical. All it does it find a window part to attach to.

There's something else going on in your system. Sorry. But, of course, please yourself which version you use. I just can't support older versions.

Regards,

Pete

It's a puzzlement.

It certainly is.

I note you said

... only a few seconds for the PMDG aircraft to load. With Version 2.13 it takes almost 3 minutes! My system is a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 under Windows XP Professional.

I have all the PMDG 737NG aircraft, and my system is a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4, but with WinXP Home SP1. Can you tell me exactly which cockpit you have this problem with? Better still, save a flight amd send me the FLT + WX file for it -- send to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Have you got WinXP SP2 installed? I've been thinking about it but have so far resisted.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

In the process of trying to comply with your request for the saved flight files, I discovered a couple of facts that I hadn't been aware of, since I have only been using the PMDG aircraft recently:

The disparity between aircraft loading times on my system beween using AdvDisplay 2.123 and 2.13 exists regardless of the aircraft type being loaded and whether or not the aircraft is loaded over a previously saved flight as described in my original post.

For example, opening FS2004 in the normal way and using Create a Flight, the loading times are for the default Cessna are as follows:

V2.123 V2.13

To "Fly Now" 1 sec 48 sec

From "Fly Now" to Cockpit Display 12 sec 50 sec

I am E-mailing you the saved .flt and .wx files for both cases.

Yes I do have WinXP SP2 installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sandy

The disparity between aircraft loading times on my system beween using AdvDisplay 2.123 and 2.13 exists regardless of the aircraft type being loaded and whether or not the aircraft is loaded over a previously saved flight as described in my original post.

Ah, well, in that case it is still a puzzle, as the loading times for all the default aircraft, for example, are identical here no matter which version.

Yes I do have WinXP SP2 installed.

I can only think that the answer lies there somehow.

Pete

The disparity between aircraft loading times on my system beween using AdvDisplay 2.123 and 2.13 exists regardless of the aircraft type being loaded

Can you please try the attached test version (2.131) and let me know. I can't see any measurable difference here, but I've made a change in the code to avoid checking for a panel change within 10 seconds of my previous check. I hope this will get around the problem without any unwanted side effects.

Regards,

Pete

AdvDisp2131test.zip