The simFlight Network Forums

Adv Disp 1.23 - Text Overflow?

I occasionally have FS9 crashes or stutters when Adv Disp is open with a large amount of text such as ATIS looping from RC 3.1 or Flightwatch from AS 2004.5, or even long announcements. This happened with a few versions ago I think since 2.11.

No change with the FS9 patch. DX9b.

W98SE with 768 Ram (VCache adjusted) and go into FS with either 550 or 650 MB by cleaning out background stuff.

On audio I occasionally get kind of a noise like a data clock with a pause.

If I let FS9 ATIS display in the window (no RC or AS) and loop it the same thing happens. If I hide the window, is the text still being buffered in it?

Latest FSUIPC.

JD from RC states he had a problem a few RC 3.1 builds ago but patched it.

Any chance under W98SE there might be a buffer overflow on data/audio conversion to display?

Thanks for thinking about this.

I occasionally have FS9 crashes or stutters when Adv Disp is open with a large amount of text such as ATIS looping from RC 3.1 or Flightwatch from AS 2004.5, or even long announcements. This happened with a few versions ago I think since 2.11.

I think 2.11 dates back to July 2003!!!

There's really nothing different in AdvDisplay for 1 character or 128 characters of text, it does the same for all. and it's been working pretty solidly all this time. What's suddenly changed on your system, or have you only just started using it?

On audio I occasionally get kind of a noise like a data clock with a pause.

Not sure how that's related to anything of mine. The only program I did which handles sound was Esound (not supported for a while).

If I let FS9 ATIS display in the window (no RC or AS) and loop it the same thing happens. If I hide the window, is the text still being buffered in it?

Nothing actually buffers into windows. The display of text is simply a standard Windows function, called as needed. The text (up to 127 characters, actually) is kept in memory.

How are you hiding it? If you use the Menu to uncheck it, it is totally disabled, it does nothing then.

JD from RC states he had a problem a few RC 3.1 builds ago but patched it.

Any more details? Not sure how this connects to what you say.

Any chance under W98SE there might be a buffer overflow on data/audio conversion to display?

Data/audio conversion? That's something in FS I assume? I only handle text, not sure where the audio goes. What happens if you disable or remove AdvDisplay?

If you can tell me how to reproduce it I'll try, but if you've had this happening for over a year I'm not sure I would know how to tackle it. I've had no other similar reports all this time.

Regards,

Pete

Thank you for replying.

If multiple apps are writing to the advdisp window and the total goes above 127 characters (assuming that enough have scrolled off to ctrate space), will the window receiving function just throw those out so the allocated memory is not exceeded?

If multiple apps are writing to the advdisp window and the total goes above 127 characters (assuming that enough have scrolled off to ctrate space), will the window receiving function just throw those out so the allocated memory is not exceeded?

It doesn't work like that. If a second application writes a message before an earlier one has timed out or scrolled off, the first will be discarded and the second one will take its place. There's no queuing or concatenating. It just operates simply, as does the original FS facility which it is intercepting.

Regards,

Pete