The simFlight Network Forums

Widefs problem

Hi,

I have a network with IPX for wideview and another with TCP/IP for widefs.

Now the problem.

I have FS9.1 running on four pc for wideview over IPX.

Now I tried to test your PM-Software with WideFs over TCP/IP.

But on the client-pc, I get a WideFs error message,when FS9.1 is running.

What does it meen?

I think it is no network-problem, because there are no problems when Widefs or Wideview runs alone.

But it is impossible to run Widefs, when FS9.1 is running on the same pc with Wideview.

I have a WideFs bought from simmarket.com.It is a registrated version.

Thanks Till

I have a network with IPX for wideview and another with TCP/IP for widefs.

You don't need two Networks to run two protocols. And WideFS runs with either IPX/SPX or TCP/IP (the currently released version actually includes a Server which supports both at the same time).

I have FS9.1 running on four pc for wideview over IPX.

Now I tried to test your PM-Software with WideFs over TCP/IP.

My PM software? You are mistaken, it is Enrico Schiratti who develops PM software.

But on the client-pc, I get a WideFs error message,when FS9.1 is running.

What does it meen?

It means that FS is running on that PC, creating the "FS98Main" Window, so WideClient cannot run. As it clearly says in the documentation, WideClient is an FS replacement, running instead of FS on Networked PCs to support ancillary programs interfacing to FS on the Server.

But it is impossible to run Widefs, when FS9.1 is running on the same pc with Wideview.

It is nothing to do with WidevieW. It is impossible to run Wideclient on the same PC as FS -- if it was running alongside FS, which FSUIPC interface would the programs you wish to run interface to? How can they distinguish between two identical interfaces?

Did you miss this in the documentation? For example, the part which says

On each client PC

(i.e. all the other PCs in your Network on which you are NOT going to be running FS itself, but on which you want to run some application which interfaces to FS). ...

There IS a way to override this, but it means changing the Window Class name used by WideClient. Here's the relevant part of the documentation:

ClassInstance=0: You can't normally run WideClient and FS, or two copies of WideClient, in the same PC, as they have

the exact same Window Class. FSUIPC applications cannot differentiate between them. In fact both FS and WideClient prevent more than one such instance starting in the first place. However, there are two very unusual situations:

(a) You want a WideClient running and talking to a server on another PC, whilst on the same PC as the Client you have a copy of FS running (possibly linked to the other by WidevieW), or

(b) You want two WideClients talking to different Servers (by different Server Names or Ports).

For these situations, Wideclient allows you to change its Window Class name. For this to be of any use, the applications you are running will also have to be set to connect to the different Class name—this will not be possible with most standard FSUIPC connecting applications. In this regard, this facility is rather restricted to those with programming abilities.

To change the Class name used, simply set the parameter "ClassInstance=n" where n is a number in the range 0–99. The Class Name then becomes "FS98MAINnn"—i.e. the number is appended as two digits, 00–99. If you do this, be aware that most ready-made applications for FSUIPC will not connect.

If you do this you will have to somehow get the programs you want to run to use the new Class name. For that you'd need to ask the author unless they have documented features for this, which some may well have.

Regards,

Pete

Hallo Peter,

Thanks for your answer and patience.

Yes, a big mistake.PM is of cause from Enrico Schirratti.

Excuse me.

I have read the widefs-manuel onesmore and yes, there is an explanation

for my problem.

Excuse me onesmore.

Have I understand it right, that I have to make a copy from my wideclient.exe, name it wideclient2.exe,after this to make a copy of the wideclient.ini and give it the name wideclient2.ini?And now to change the classinstance=02 and to write a new entry classname=widefs2?

Is it nessesary to change something in the wideserver.ini?

Thank you very much for your support

Greetings from Berlin

Till

Have I understand it right, that I have to make a copy from my wideclient.exe, name it wideclient2.exe,after this to make a copy of the wideclient.ini and give it the name wideclient2.ini?And now to change the classinstance=02 and to write a new entry classname=widefs2?

No, almost none of that at all! Where do you get any of that from?

Just set the ClassInstance to 2, then find a way to get all your application programs which want to use FS on that PC to use classname "FS98MAIN02" instead of "FS98MAIN". The last part is the difficult part, as it may be a programming change. That is why I said you have to ask the program authors. If they don't change the program they will be trying to access the read FS, not WideClient!

Pete