The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC - finer control of yaw mode for simulating pushback?

Pete,

I have FS2004 with CH Yoke and pedals, and a registered FSUIPC.

I got fed up with FS2004's pushback and tried using yaw mode to drive the tractor, so to speak. It does work but the plane sometimes starts moving forwards quickly when I am not expecting it, even though the CH yoke is in its null zone. I have checked your calibration and it seems that FS2004 is accepting the raw input, rather than the modified output from FSUIPC's calibration. I have to have the CH yoke exactly at its zero position for the plane not to move in yaw mode. Pedal control is more or less OK, but forward and backward movement is a bit too sensitive for pushback.

What I was hoping to do was to calibrate the CH yoke separately for yaw mode, e.g. have a null zone that yaw mode recognises and also have a more gentle slope for the inner active range.

Is there any way to do this?

Best regards,

I got fed up with FS2004's pushback and tried using yaw mode to drive the tractor, so to speak. It does work but the plane sometimes starts moving forwards quickly when I am not expecting it, even though the CH yoke is in its null zone. I have checked your calibration and it seems that FS2004 is accepting the raw input, rather than the modified output from FSUIPC's calibration. I have to have the CH yoke exactly at its zero position for the plane not to move in yaw mode. Pedal control is more or less OK, but forward and backward movement is a bit too sensitive for pushback.

I don't really understand any of that, UNLESS, that is, your "Yaw" mode is a mistaken name for "Slew" mode? If so, then, yes, you are correct. FSUIPC does not touch slew mode at all.

I have always found slew mode almost uncontrolable with axes. You are far better off leaving the axes parked and using the keyboard in slew mode.

What I was hoping to do was to calibrate the CH yoke separately for yaw mode, e.g. have a null zone that yaw mode recognises and also have a more gentle slope for the inner active range.

Again, assuming you are meaning slew mode, then you can only do this with FS's own calibration. Just reduce the sensitivity for the slew axes and increase the null zone. Alternately, set the sensitivity to zero and program some buttons for slew keypresses or controls. (Using recent FSUIPC additions for offset conditionals, you could actually make those buttons dual purpose, only performing this slew function if slew more is operative).

Regards,

Pete

I don't really understand any of that, UNLESS, that is, your "Yaw" mode is a mistaken name for "Slew" mode? If so, then, yes, you are correct. FSUIPC does not touch slew mode at all.

I have always found slew mode almost uncontrolable with axes. You are far better off leaving the axes parked and using the keyboard in slew mode.

Again, assuming you are meaning slew mode, then you can only do this with FS's own calibration. Just reduce the sensitivity for the slew axes and increase the null zone. Alternately, set the sensitivity to zero and program some buttons for slew keypresses or controls. (Using recent FSUIPC additions for offset conditionals, you could actually make those buttons dual purpose, only performing this slew function if slew more is operative).

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete. Yes, I did mean slew mode - must have been brain failure or something. I'll try your suggestions... if I use FS's own calibration for the slew axes though, will I mess up the normal settings that I have in place with FSUIPC?

if I use FS's own calibration for the slew axes though, will I mess up the normal settings that I have in place with FSUIPC?

Not if you only change the FS settings for the Slew mode axes. They are separate -- separate controls in fact. FS does not make a distinction between slew mode and flight mode, it simply only processes the flight mode controls.

Regards,

Pete