The simFlight Network Forums

Elite PQ Calibration using FSUIPC

I'm trying to get my Elite MEL PQ calibrated so that the props will actually go into Feather when I pull the levers to the back stop. I've tried using the Elite PQ Calibration tab and offseting the levers off of the stops when clicking the bottom SET button. This doesn't work. The only way I can get the prop to feather is to open the Power Console window and use the mouse to hold the lever into the feather position.

I've called Elite and they say its a problem with FSUIPC not sending the correct information to FS2004. (Somehow I doubt this.)

I'm now trying to use the FSUIPC Config Joystick tab to do the calibration. However, none of the Joysticks (for the throttle/props/mixtures) selected show any change when I move the levers. (Unlike the CH Products USB devices.)

Is there any way to calibrate the Elite MEL PQ using FSUIPC? (I'm running the latest versions as of 12/29/04 of both Elite and FSUIPC software.)

I'm trying to get my Elite MEL PQ calibratedI'm now trying to use the FSUIPC Config Joystick tab to do the calibration. However, none of the Joysticks (for the throttle/props/mixtures) selected show any change when I move the levers. (Unlike the CH Products USB devices.)

Sorry, I do not know this quadrant. What's "MEL"?

How are its controls assigned in FS? If FS sees them in its assignments, then they can be seen in FSUIPC -- perhaps you are looking on the wrong pages in the FSUIPC Joysticks tab? How many separate engines does it handle?

Elite has never once consulted me about their use of FSUIPC, and they've used it and the SDK for their commercial ventures without any agreement or thanks or payment, yet they continually blame it for all of their errors. I am therefore not really very favourably disposed to support their products at all. However, if you can investigate these assignments a bit more and tell me how things are connected to FS then maybe I can assist you.

Regards,

Pete

Sorry, I do not know this quadrant. What's "MEL"?

Basically, this is their Piston Twin Quadrant http://www.flyelite.com/hardware.php?product_id=18 which is normally used for flying twin's like the Baron. (2-Throttles, 2-Props, 2-Mixtures w/o any detents. They also sell a King Air PQ but I'm not to that point yet. Let's see if we can figure out the Twin PQ first.)

How are its controls assigned in FS? If FS sees them in its assignments, then they can be seen in FSUIPC -- perhaps you are looking on the wrong pages in the FSUIPC Joysticks tab? How many separate engines does it handle?

If I understand your documentation correctly, I should find a FS9.cfg file "somewhere" in the FS2004 directory structure that lists all the known Joysticks. However, I don't seem to find one anywhere. There's a FS2000.cfg file but that's it. (Maybe I should just completely remove FS2004 and reinstall it and FSUIPC along with the Elite driver and start over.)

Also, if I look at the normal FS2004 Controls->Assignments page, all I see for joysticks are the CH Products USB Pro Yoke and USB Rudder pedals (i.e. FS doesn't even seem to see the Elite levers as Joysticks at all).

FWIW, Elite has a completely separate menu in FS2004 that you are supposed to use to calibrate the levers on the PQ. However, I've yet to be able to find a setting (or offset + setting) that results in the props going into the Feather position on the Power Console window. It's as if FS doesn't even see the PQ at all but yet the Elite PQ "does" operate Throttles, Props and Mixtures normally with the exception of going into Feather.

Finally, if we can't figure this out together, would you be open to a 3-way call with you, me and a key development engineer at Elite to get you guys talking and working together? I'm trying to get through to the CEO of Elite to get something moving. Their TechSupport doesn't really seem to know anything.

If I understand your documentation correctly, I should find a FS9.cfg file "somewhere" in the FS2004 directory structure that lists all the known Joysticks.

No. The FS9.CFG file is in your Windows system somewhere. Everything changed in FS2004, when Microsoft made it "politically correct" to match stated MS policies. If you are using WinXP try the FS9 folder inside Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft.

Also, if I look at the normal FS2004 Controls->Assignments page, all I see for joysticks are the CH Products USB Pro Yoke and USB Rudder pedals (i.e. FS doesn't even seem to see the Elite levers as Joysticks at all).

Ah, if FS doesn't see them, then nor will FSUIPC.

FWIW, Elite has a completely separate menu in FS2004 that you are supposed to use to calibrate the levers on the PQ.

In that case, it does sound as if they are bypassing the joystick system completely and doing their own thing. I'm afraid I cannot help much with that. Even if they are using FSUIPC to accomplish this (which does not necessarily follow), I cannot "fix" their code to make it do things they are not doing correctly.

However, I've yet to be able to find a setting (or offset + setting) that results in the props going into the Feather position on the Power Console window. It's as if FS doesn't even see the PQ at all but yet the Elite PQ "does" operate Throttles, Props and Mixtures normally with the exception of going into Feather.

Either they are using FSUIPC to set these things, but not allowing the correct values to be written, or, more likely, they are using the FS axis controls and have used the wrong ones, ones which do not provide the reverse/feather ranges. There are a number of alternatives, you see, some dating back from FS98 days and before, and others added later.

Whichever way they have chosen to do it, it sounds as if they have got it wrong and, worse, have not even bothered to test on FS2004. Maybe they got it right on FS2002 and just assumed things would stay the same.

I'm sorry, but given everything you say this is 100% a matter for Elite. I can't see how anyone else can possibly help if they aren't going to do anything about it. I tend to think they only care about their own simulator and FS is a minor annoying throwaway interest for them.

Finally, if we can't figure this out together, would you be open to a 3-way call with you, me and a key development engineer at Elite to get you guys talking and working together? I'm trying to get through to the CEO of Elite to get something moving. Their TechSupport doesn't really seem to know anything.

I've always provided full technical help for all developers who've bothered to ask, and I can, but they need to debug their own code. I am not doing that for them. If they have questions, then I can try to answer them. But I cannot solve their problems. As I said before, I am not disposed well towards them in the first place because of their track record in shoving off their problems and blaming FSUIPC.

Regards,

Pete