The simFlight Network Forums

Spoiler axis problem!

Hi!

I am not pretty sure if this has something common with FSUIPC but I guess it does.

I assigned one of CH-Yoke axis to airbakes - I oppened FS Options>Controls>Assignments menu and hit "Joystick Axes" tab in the dialog box. The I assigned one of the levers to "Spoilers" and matched "Reverse axis" to have proper effect - spolers released when lever goes down.

Unfortunately when I only move the lever a little bit, the spoilers go 100% retracted immediately. The moving the lever does not change anything - spoilers are always fully open. The only wa to bring them down to zero is "/" key.

Do you have any Idea what is going on? It worked well some time ago (FSUIPC was still something before version 3) but I did not use it the for a long period of time.

I have the newest registered versino of the module.

Best regards

Unfortunately when I only move the lever a little bit, the spoilers go 100% retracted immediately. The moving the lever does not change anything - spoilers are always fully open. The only wa to bring them down to zero is "/" key.

Do you have any Idea what is going on? It worked well some time ago (FSUIPC was still something before version 3) but I did not use it the for a long period of time.

It is nothing to do with FSUIPC -- unless you calibrate the spoiler in FSUIPC it doesn't even see it or know you are using it.

This happens with most aircraft in FS2004 if you operate the spoilers on the ground. What happens is that the axis value passes through the "Arm" position, and FS incorrectly automatically deploys the ground spoilers (100%) when it sees them armed and the aircraft on the ground.

It did happen occasionally, with some aircraft, in FS2002 as well, but it is much more frequent in FS2004. I think it is an FS bug. The answer is not to operate your spoilers until airborne. You wouldn't normally in any case, except on a Rejected Take Off (when it should be automatic on most modern aircraft, I think).

Regards,

Pete

Hi Michal, Pete,

From my "FS9 peculiarities" archive:

Spoiler(/airbrakes) behaviour in FS9

====================================

Note: the following is decribed for operation of the spoilers via keys/buttons, with the default keys being:

- "Shift-/" : Arm spoilers

- "/" : Toggle spoilers on/off

But the same effect is probably true when operates via an axis.

FS9 has a spoiler "feature":

1. If you ARM the spoilers while the aircraft is on the ground AND the throttles are idle, the spoilers are not set to ARM but to FULL instead.

2. If you open the throttles now, the spoilers are fully retracted again.

3. If you ARM the spoilers while the throttles are NOT idle, the spoilers are set in the ARM position; but if you now set throttles to idle, they are set to Full. And setting the throttles idle now, reacts the spoilers fully again.

4. Toggling the spoilers on/off has the "normal", expected behaviour. Which means that if you toggle the spoilers On with "/", they are extended fully (independant of throttle position); and setting throttles out of idle now, the spoilers remain fully extended.

Since this Arming behaviour is dependant on throttle position, it seems intentional; i.e. a "feature", not a "bug".

Whether this is realistic or not, I can't tell :-)

Note that the above is only true when the function "autodeploy" in the .airfile is set to True.

(which also makes the spoilers automatically deployed, when armed, if an aircraft lands).

If False, the entire ARM function is disabled, i.o.w. "Shift-/" doesn't do anything in any situation.

Cheers, Rob Barendregt