The simFlight Network Forums

Question about Throttle Axis calibration and Events

Hi Pete,

In FS(9), an assigned throttle axis on an external controller generates Axis_Throttle_Set events (Not: Throttle_Set) when the physical throttle lever is being moved.

In an XML gauge, I can "monitor" these events (i.e. observe that they occur).

Now, if the throttle axis is calibrated via FSUIPC, can I expect the same behaviour ???

The reason I ask: as far as I know, you cannot assign negative values to an Axis_Throttle_Set event, unlike to Throttle_set. That is, if I try that in an XML gauge, I get very unpredictable throttle read-out value.

Now, if in FSUIPC someone assigns ReverseThrust on the throttle axis, is FSUIPC :

1. Still generating Axis_Throttle_Set events (with possible negative values) ?

2. Or Throttle_Set events ?

3. Or no events at all, because FSUIPC write directly to memory ?

(and the same question if you use individual throttles for each engine, using the corresponding *-EngineNumber events).

Could you please eleborate on this ???

Thanks in advance,

Rob Barendregt

Now, if the throttle axis is calibrated via FSUIPC, can I expect the same behaviour ???

If you calibrate the separate throttles in FSUIPC, the AXIS_THROTTLEn_SET controls are changed to THROTTLEn_SET controls so you can use the reverse range.

The single AXIS_THROTTLE_SET control is left alone.

Now, if in FSUIPC someone assigns ReverseThrust on the throttle axis, is FSUIPC :

1. Still generating Axis_Throttle_Set events (with possible negative values) ?

2. Or Throttle_Set events ?

3. Or no events at all, because FSUIPC write directly to memory ?

Your 2 but only for individual throttles. FSUIPC does not support reverse on the single throttle -- you have to map it to the multiple ones. I think this dates from FS2000 where even the single THROTTLE_SET did not give reverse.

The separate Reverser axis provided by FS operates using the THROTTLEn_SET controls too.

BTW I'm not sure whether all those events will be trapped by the Panels trap facility, because on FS2002 and FS2004 I am calling the Event routine in SIM1 for some of these things. It depends where it is hooked.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your clear answer..

Saves me a lot of "educated guesswork" based on external observations; which (I learned the hard way) sometimes leads you to the wrong conclusion :)

I guess I just have to do some testing to see whether these events can still be trapped if generated by FSUIPC.

Regards, Rob