The simFlight Network Forums

Flaps Lever

Hi all,

I'm making a throttle and having problem with the flaps,

is it possible to use a potentiometer in the axis and then define the each slots as the flaps position? (i'm having problems with using 2 switches there)

i saw somewhere but didn't really understood how to do it,

thanks

La bla bla

I've always used two momentary switches to operate F6 & F7 (without checking, I think they're the default keys). I use a large double throw momentary switch with a lever attached. Tap it down and the flaps move down to the next position listed in the aircraft.cfg file. Likewise for up.

If you want have the lever to move to, and stay, in different positions, you could rig it to trip a "down" microswitch going one way and an "up" switch for the opposite. Might have to have several switches, all in parellel, between lever indents, but it would work.

Frankly, setting an axis and assigning positions based on pot position sounds like the long way around to me.

Good luck,

Glenn

Hi Glen, Labla..?

Well, I have a slightly different opinion :lol:

Especially if you use FS9.

FS9 supports a Flaps Axis by default; it just devides the calibrated range of the axis by the number of flap positions defined for the aircraft you are flying, to get a discrete ranges of the axis for each flap position.

In fact, I use the Throttle lever of my CH yoke as Flaps axis (since I use an external throttle quadrant). But it works fine for any external axis.

Regards, Rob

Hi,

Actually it's not good,

cause i'm building the flaps with slots for the handle for each degree,

and i won't be able to define the well,

that's y i need to set the exact place the handle is, as that flap position in FS(9),

i saw someone asked about something like this but couldn't understand very much from this..

thanks,

La bla bla

Actually it's not good,

cause i'm building the flaps with slots for the handle for each degree,

and i won't be able to define the well,

that's y i need to set the exact place the handle is, as that flap position in FS(9)

I have managed to implement a multiple position calibration system for the PFC throttle quadrant axes, in my PFC.DLL, but it can only work with a fixed number of known detentes, of course. I don't plan to do the same in FSUIPC.

I assume you are selecting the specific aircraft you are going to fly, before making this flap system with its fixed detentes?

I think the best way is to implement it with a numberof trimpots, one for each detente interval, each large enough to be able to cope with the normal range (i.e. 50k or 100k max). Then instead of a main potentiometer for the lever axis use a multiposition switch or some electrical contact system, so that the current passes through a different trim pot depending on the postion selected.

Then, by adjusting the trimpots one by one from one end or the other, you should be able to calibrate it, after a number of cycles through, to suit the values needed by FS.

You could use fixed resistors instead of trim pots, but you will then need to use a potentiometer initially, to find the resistance values needed to select each of FS's detentes, and an ohmeter to measure same. This would also be a good way, possibly mixed with some trimpots for fine tuning.

Just ideas.

Regards,

Pete

but that seems a little bit to complicated for that purpose...

I don't think there's any other way you'll get pre-made detentes to match FS's. You'll have to do it the other way. Build the thing then make the detentes where you get the stablest results for each position.

can u tell me what does they mean by calibrating using FSUIPC here:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=142&topic_id=859&mesg_id=867&page=

Calibrate your axis in FS or FSUIPC. FSUIPC is a little more precise and has a jitter filter, but you want best calibration in FS first.

But the notch positions will be FS's choice, not yours.

Regards,

Pete