The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC not working/stopping FS 2004

Hi,

New to the forum, I searched but couldn't find these conditions.

FS2004 (had the 9.1 update on, but took it off). Whenever I put FSUIPC in the modules folder, FS will start and take me to the 'Select a flight or Creat a flight' screen, but whenever I click Fly now!, the game refuses to go past 0%. It just locks up. I have to Ctrl, Alt, Del and then end task. (BTW, this happens whether I have the 9.1 update on or not, I just took it off because I thought it was causing the problem.)

System is: 2.0 g, P4, 512 RAM, XP Pro. I make sure that there are no a/v programs, anti spyware, etc. programs running. When I remove the FSUIPC.dll from the modules folder, FS runs as normal.

I have tried Dr. Watson to find out what is crashing, but there is nothing showing in the log. I also tried the dll load order as suggested. I have zipped the fsuipc.log and .ini file.

fsuipc.zip

FS2004 (had the 9.1 update on, but took it off). Whenever I put FSUIPC in the modules folder, FS will start and take me to the 'Select a flight or Creat a flight' screen, but whenever I click Fly now!, the game refuses to go past 0%. It just locks up.

The only condition I can recall which causes this is an older version of FSNavigator. Do you have that installed? If so, get it updated as it has this bug in it.

The only other possibility I can think of, but less likely I think, is a corrupted WX (weather) file being loaded. To test for that temporarily (or permanently if you like) remove the FS9.CFG file from your Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9 folder. FS will make a new one and load default settings.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Didn't work. I deleted the fs9.cfg file from the location you mentioned. Still the same problem.

I don't have FSNavigator (to my knowledge.) Unless some other program is trying to load it is what I mean. I don't have it on my machine in any format (zipped or unzipped or installed.)

The closest thing I have to FS anything is FS Manager 2.72. I put that on in the hopes of trying to track down issues (missing files, guages, panels, etc.)

I still can't run FS2004 with FSUIPC in the Modules folder.

It is a basic FS2004 install, I have added one or two extra aircraft and wanted to expand the sim somewhat. Other aircraft I have downloaded (but not installed yet) mentioned required the FSUIPC in order for the gauges/panels to work properly. So I downloaded FSUIPC and followed the directions, but it won't allow me to run FS2004. I then downloaded FSManager, tried that, but it won't work (completely, for diagnostics and benchmarking) unless FSUIPC is installed. I downloaded Traffic Tools and Weather Set and Traffic Look, along with AFCAD, but they require FSUIPC in order to function correctly also. So I am stuck with the basic FS2004 with one or two oddball aircraft.

Any more help or suggestions for me? Should I try and install FSNavigator (I don't know what it does right now.)

Robert

Didn't work. I deleted the fs9.cfg file from the location you mentioned. Still the same problem.

I don't have FSNavigator (to my knowledge.)

Oh, you'd know if you had it. And for it to work you'd have had to pay for it!

There's something certainly messing with things somehow. I think there was another report, and a solution was found -- some background program running also was the culprit. But I can't seem to find it now. It is somewhere here in the forum.

It is a basic FS2004 install, I have added one or two extra aircraft and wanted to expand the sim somewhat.

I wonder if one of those has added some incompatible DLL into the Modules folder?

I downloaded Traffic Tools and Weather Set and Traffic Look

Actually WeatherSet and TrafficLook are included in the FSUIPC package.

Should I try and install FSNavigator (I don't know what it does right now.)

No, no. You don't want to install any more. It is something that is installed which is doing this, but it may be something installed in FS (which must therefore be in the Modules folder), or it may be something running in Windows anyway. I know that FS is particularly sensitive to some of the background anti-virus checkers around.

Check what you have running (use Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at both the Applications and Processes list, see if there's anything odd there. Not that it's easy to spot "odd" things. Windows XP in particular seems replete with many odd processes running most of the time).

If you know you have some background checking going on, try disabling it for now. Things like anti-virus and memory check/streamliners are ones to look for.

Regards,

Pete

Sorry for the delay Pete, but I misread the message count and therefore did not look.

Anyway, I've spent the last 1.5 hours trying to do screen captures of all the processes running, before, during normal operations, with FS9 and fsuipc.dll in the modules folder but no running and with FS9 and fsuipc.dll in the modules folder and trying to fly.

To make a long story short, I couldn't post up the results, so I decided to start shutting down processes myself. Before ever posting my first post, I had already shut down unneccessary drivers and Anti virus type stuff. Now I was looking at other things.

Well, I think I found the answer: it was my Kensington Turbo Mouse. After I shut down the the two modules for the mouse and DISCONNECTED it, my FS9 was able to run and I saw the modules item on the menu. At first just shutting down the processes did nothing, the turbo mouse still worked. After I disconnected and plugged in my Logitech mouse, and disconnected teh Turbo mouse, it appears to work fine. In fact, the game runs faster now. I didn't realize that the mouse was slowing things down so badly. Now I am beginning to wonder about other games that I had played lately (I only added the Turbo Mouse after Thanksgiving.)

Thanks for your support,

Robert

Well, I think I found the answer: it was my Kensington Turbo Mouse. After I shut down the the two modules for the mouse and DISCONNECTED it, my FS9 was able to run and I saw the modules item on the menu. At first just shutting down the processes did nothing, the turbo mouse still worked. After I disconnected and plugged in my Logitech mouse, and disconnected teh Turbo mouse, it appears to work fine. In fact, the game runs faster now. I didn't realize that the mouse was slowing things down so badly.

All this does ring a little bell somewhere in the back of my head. I'm going to search for Kensington right now ...

[LATER]

Yes! It wasn't all that long ago either -- end of November. Here's the final conclusion:

The culprit is a file for a Kensington mouse which I use. The filename is kmu_run.exe. I don't know what it does (it has a companion called kmw_show). But the kmu_run was the one that freed-up FS9 (which now overall loads faster to the initial configuration screen as well).

I think I'll send a note to Kensington support and find out what the file does and how to prevent it from loading. The mouse works fine without the process running.

Check thread:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=31582

I do wish my memory worked better on these things. Maybe with this reinforcement it will next time!

Thanks for letting me know!

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Did you ever get a response from Kensington? Also, why does the Turbo mouse continue to function with one of its processes missing? (rhetorical)

Oops, that was the other guy not you that was contacting Kensington.

I will try and stop that process (I still like my Turbo Mouse too much to give it up) and see if the game plays okay and the mouse functions without it.

Robert

PS-Then I'll try and see what I've been missing from not having FSUIPC in FS9.

Also, I think the mouse may have been affecting my ability to post my attachments. Notice that the other guy also had problems posting an attachment? I won't try now (I am at the office and not on my gaming computer.)