The simFlight Network Forums

F16 Gauge error and no aircraft.

I use Eric Marciano's F16 gauge for the radar function in FS2004 but I keep getting the "unregistered..." error and the radar does not show any aircraft. I have entered the codes for this gauge but it still continues to give the error. I have seen similar posts and tried the suggestions with no luck. Frankly I'm stumped.

The codes entries and log file are below.....Help !!

I should also mention that I am using this gauge with an F18 aircraft, not the F16 but this has never been an issue with FS2002 where the gauge works fine.

[Programs]

F16.gau=DSVTJE5S6DUO

F16=DSVTJE5S6DUO

F16gau=DSVTJE5S6DUO

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.45 by Pete Dowson *********

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

1243 System time = 14:39:18

1243 C:\GAMES\FS2004\

1245 System time = 14:39:18, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

1380 C:\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files\Aero L-39 in London.flt

1392 AIRCRAFT\Aero L39C Albatros\l39c_2k1.air

1424 Aircraft="Aero L39C Albatros"

7660 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

11909 Traffic File #16 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_fs2004"

92718 WeatherOptions set, now 0000B027 (timer=0)

111310 AIRCRAFT\RCAF CF-18 Hornet\Super Hornet.air

111343 Aircraft="RCAF CF-18A Hornet"

122455 Illegal read attempt: offset F000, size 2 [P0]

122455Program or module not accredited for use with this unregistered FSUIPC

135034 ### IPC Message processed in 12579mSecs ###

160108 AIRCRAFT\Aero L39C Albatros\l39c_2k1.air

160141 Aircraft="Aero L39C Albatros"

218931 AIRCRAFT\RCAF CF-18 Hornet\Super Hornet.air

218963 Aircraft="RCAF CF-18A Hornet"

269010 System time = 14:43:45, FS2004 time = 13:21:53 (17:21Z)

269010 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 122 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ****

Thanks

Glen

I use Eric Marciano's F16 gauge for the radar function in FS2004 but I keep getting the "unregistered..." error and the radar does not show any aircraft. I have entered the codes for this gauge but it still continues to give the error. I have seen similar posts and tried the suggestions with no luck. Frankly I'm stumped.

Well, there doesn't appear to be any correct attempt by the gauge to access FSUIPC in the way that a gauge should. It seems Eric has programmed it incorrectly, using the external access method for an internal program. That has been incorrect now since FS2002. It may work most of the time with a fully user registered FSUIPC, but it can easily go wrong if other internal modules do the same thing, as their memory mapped files will be cross-referred.

The codes entries and log file are below.....Help !!

I'm afraid you will need to either get help from the author, or register FSUIPC. Sorry. I cannot cope with incorrect access.

I should also mention that I am using this gauge with an F18 aircraft, not the F16 but this has never been an issue with FS2002 where the gauge works fine.

With FSUIPC 3.45? The problems would be the same on FS2002.

Regards,

Pete

Pete;

Thanks for the speedy response. I also was perplexed that the log file did not mention the F16.GAU at all, I have seen other posts about this issue and the F16.GAU appeared clearly in the log.

In FS2002, I am using V2.975 I think, I haven't changed it because it works well and I don't like to change unless it's really necessary.

I will have to search some more threads and see if I can make heads or tails of this, maybe I need an earlier 3.xx version of FSUI ?, others seem to have been able to make this work.

Glen

I will have to search some more threads and see if I can make heads or tails of this, maybe I need an earlier 3.xx version of FSUI ?, others seem to have been able to make this work.

With older versions it is hit and miss. To save time (before I worked out a better way), the accreditation was done on a sampling basis, much like customs searching for instance. But it's been more thorough for some time now.

I can see what is going on more precisely if you turn on some more logging. You'll have to edit the FSUIPC.INI file and add the lines

Debug=Please

LogWrites=Yes

LogReads=Yes

LogExtras=2048

to the [General] section. Replace those lines if they are there already. Keep the run short or the Log will get too big -- just run it to verify the gauge isn't working. Close FS, ZIP up the log, and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com. I probably won't be able to fix it, but I can probably say exactly what is happening.

In the end, for old pre-FS2004 gauges which are written in this way, I suspect the ultimate answer is going to be user registration of FSUIPC, or find alternative gauges. The TCAS gauges by Lee Hetherington (ILH) work well, for example.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for the Log. I'm investigating now, but at initilal glance it does seem to be doing the right thing. I don't understand why the Key isn't being used from the KEY file. The correct entry is the one:

F16.gau=DSVTJE5S6DUO

Can you delete the other two for F16 in that file, just in case that's confusing the issue. Also, can you tell me please what version of Windows you are running?

Thanks,

Pete

I think that there must be something amiss with the F16 gauge you are using. I downloaded an F16 panel from Eric's site just to get the F16.GAU file, and have now tested it with unregistered FSUIPC installations on both Windows 98SE and Windows XP.

With that "F16.gau= ..." line in place in the [Programs] section of the FSUIPC.KEY file I had no problems at all using it in FS2004 on either operating system.

The log you sent is nothing like the sort of data I get, which always shows F16.gau on one of the analysed stack trace entries.

Just in case your F16.gau is different, try the one attached, which was obtained from the F16 panel on Eric's home site yesterday.

Regards,

Pete

F16gau.zip

Boy, This one's quite the mystery. I tried a few more things with no success but here also are more details about my system

FS2004: Includes patch to 9.1, not installed in default folder, Is in

c:\games\FS2004

Also, I must admit I'm using the No CD patch, I bought FS2004, I just hate having to put the CD in every time. I tried from the regular FS2004 executable and it still had the same error though.

I downloaded the full F16 panel from Eric's site and tried that but still no good.

I also tried the F16.gau file you sent, still no luck.

I also tried putting the full path in the FSUIPC.KEY file, alas no joy.

Here's what I do;

I start FS2004 with the default flight

I then select the RCAF CF18 aircraft, my radar is OFF by default.

After the aircraft loads, I press a panel switch to activate the radar and that's when I get the error message. I've tried with the radar on by default, still no good. The F16 HUD in the F16.gau file works fine, it's just the radar that is giving the problem.

I transfered the aircraft from FS2002 where this panel works flawlessly via FSUIPC 2.975, it's a total mystery why it won't recognize the key and as you said, it doesn't even not the F16.gau file by name in the log. It just seems as though FSUI isn't meshing with FS2004 quite right on my system.

Any other idea's ?

Glen

Boy, This one's quite the mystery.

... It just seems as though FSUI isn't meshing with FS2004 quite right on my system.

Well FSUI is the Microsoft standard User Interface DLL. From your logs and all the other stuff, though, it certainly seems that FSUIPC is working well with FS2004 on your system.

I just have no idea why that gauge isn't working. Sorry. Did you look to see if the Lee Hetherington one will work for you?

I suspect there's something else installed on your system, a non-standard or different library someplace maybe, which makes that Gauge run rather differently. Your log shows no trace of it on the stack when it calls FSUIPC. Possibly it is calling it from a different thread than the main FS one, but this is unlikely and in any case it would be a problem then here too.

Regards,

Pete

Pete, One last query before I give up.

Can you think of any reason why FSUIPC would not be recognizing the F16.gau file when it is used in FS2004? I'm sure that this is the root of the problem, if FSUIPC could identify the file, it would know what key to use.

I do customize my AI aircraft types and the traffic.bgl file but don't see how this would affect the gauge. Other than the FS folder location, everything else should be stock.

The radar is a neat tool but certainly won't diminish my FS experience if I can't get it to work, but I just hate giving in to a computer !!

Thanks for all your help.

Glen

Can you think of any reason why FSUIPC would not be recognizing the F16.gau file when it is used in FS2004? I'm sure that this is the root of the problem, if FSUIPC could identify the file, it would know what key to use.

Of course that is the reason. The only way it has of identifying the internal caller is by tracing the return address on the stack, looking for an address within a loaded GAU or DLL file. This is why, in the full log you saw, it gets all the addresses of all the modules loaded. Then it backtracks the stack till it finds an address corresponding to a listed Gauge or Module.

That is how it identifies gauges and DLLs from internal calls, except for those programs which use the automatic registration systems supported (as this one certainly does not).

Now on both my WinXP installation and my Win98SE installation, this process works well with the F16 gauge, the exact one I attached earlier. But on your system the stack is completely and hopelessly indecipherable. If finds no modules or gauges and cannot therefore identify the caller.

The radar is a neat tool but certainly won't diminish my FS experience if I can't get it to work, but I just hate giving in to a computer !!

Did you check out the Lee Hetherington TCAS gauge?

Regards,

Pete

Pete;

I haven't tried the TCAS gauge yet, I'm not as fussy about the look although I realize it is more realistic than the F16 radar. I am planning to buy a new computer within the next year with Windows XP and had intended to wait until then to buy FS2004 but I got it on sale at Christmas for $20 Canadian and couldn't pass it up.

I installed it on my Win98 system mainly so that I could convert my add-on aircraft if necessary, gather some scenery and utilities and then burn this on all a CD in preparartion for the leap to FS2004 on the new system.

Since the F16 radar works great on FS2002, I'll stick with that for the moment and hope that it will function properly on the new system.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Glen

i am having the same problem you are having i have winxp with service pack 2 so it's not the operating system it is something in fs2004 :? i'm just as confused as you and pete

I would have been very surprised if it was operating system related in any case. There are two possibilities as far as I can see:

1. Other installed programs or services in Windows which are running and possible interfering with programs like FS. There are some -- WindowBlinds for instance -- which actually hook into the window structures and menus of other programs and change them in subtle ways. WindowBlinds was responsible for many difficulties with getting any add-on program using FS's menu correctly. Another example is the driver for the Kensington Mouse, which seems to have a disastrous effect on some add-ins, particularly FSUIPC. I'm not saying it is either of these, but just illustrating the sorts of things which, though apparently outside FS, do have a strong influence.

2. Other installed gauges or DLLs in your FS installation may be affecting how that F16 gauge operates. Even, possibly, how its constituent parts are configured in the PANEL.CFG file may change what it is doing. I did try various things but couldn't get it to go wrong at all here, but there's no way I could be 100% sure.

So, how to proceed? Well, on that last point, perhaps you could both show the section of the relevant Panel.CFG file which utilises the F16 gauge. I can try exactly the same entries here. Mine were actually derived from Eric's F16 panel itself, so they are probably the same, but you never know for sure.

Also, I had no F16 to use the panel with, so I sort-of "adapted" it. Do either of you have a complete aircraft? If so, maybe you should Zip is up and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com, so I can see if I can make it fail that way.

Apart from these points, look for other add-in DLLs, other than FSUIPC.DLL. Temporarily remove them. Now there are two of you, perhaps comparing notes on the add-ins you have will identify common things which may be clues. (Come to think of it, the same comparing notes idea should be applied to other things installed on your respective Windows systems).

All I need to be able to do is reproduce it here to work out what is going on. Whether I can fix it or not is another matter -- but, evidently, because it works fine here and for others, there is a way to configure things to make them work, and maybe once I can see what is happening I can determine how to configure it so it doesn't.

Mind you, with all this hassle and difficulty you may end up wishing you'd paid for FSUIPC User Registration after all, then none of the F16 registration checking would be applied in any case! :wink:

Regards,

Pete

Pete;

Hallelujah, I found the culprit. It's PanicWares Pop-Up stopper that is causing the problem. Even though I run a very clean OS, I do run Pop-up stopper and Wallmaster. I closed these in the system tray and then ran FS2004 and the gauge worked. When I ran Pop-Up and then FS2004, the gauge error returned.

The version of Popup Stopper I am running is V2.9, I don't know if later revisions would make a difference but I doubt it.

This might also explain why WinXP with SP2 could also have the same problem since it has a pop-up stopper incorporated in the OS. No idea why it doesn't affect FS2002.

Anyway, at least there's a solution. I plan to try out some different Pop Up blockers to see if there are any that don't cause this conflict.

Thanks Again

Glen

P.S. Told you I hate losing to a computerComputer 0, Glen 1

This might also explain why WinXP with SP2 could also have the same problem since it has a pop-up stopper incorporated in the OS. No idea why it doesn't affect FS2002.

I've tested the gauge on WinXP SP2 with no problems, but maybe I've disabled some of that Internet stuff. I'll check. I would have expected any pop-up stopper to only run when I use Internet Explorer though.

Anyway, at least there's a solution. I plan to try out some different Pop Up blockers to see if there are any that don't cause this conflict.

There is certainly no reason why any such program should be running all the time in any case. it should start when you open up your browser (e.g. IE) and terminate when you close it. ANY process doing things in the background like that is something you most certainly do not want when flying with FS. It will reduce performance, and, worse, introduce stutters and jerks.

Regards,

Pete