The simFlight Network Forums

Starting a software by Widefs keysend

Hi all,

I have some softwares started by wideclient with the "Run" commands but i need to start one only when sending a keypress in wideserver pc.

Is it possibile?

The PFD, CDU, EICAS are started by wideclient in secondary pc and i need to start ND only when i press a key in the main (Flight Simulator) pc.

I checked in the WideFS tutorial but i couldn't find, maybe my fault.

Thanks in advance

Dylan

The PFD, CDU, EICAS are started by wideclient in secondary pc and i need to start ND only when i press a key in the main (Flight Simulator) pc.

I checked in the WideFS tutorial but i couldn't find, maybe my fault.

No, there's no such facility at present. No one has ever asked for anything like that. Why would you need it? All programs I know are happy to start up when FS is ready to deal with them, and that can be accomplished with the "RunReady" parameters in WideClient.ini. If you want some programs to start later than others you declare them in order (RunReady1, 2, 3 etc), and use the DelayReady parameters to put any number of seconds between them.

I can certainly think about a way to do what you want, but I do like to understand the reasons first, as there are always so many other justified things to do.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete and thanks for reply,

i'm going to explain the reason of my request:

I'm using the P8R FMC (http://fmc.scumari.nl/).

One of its feature is to export created flight plans to FreeFD Navigation Display to follow it graphically during the fly.

The problem is that FreeFD ND reads this data ONLY when starting, so i need to prepare the flight plane in the FMC in my cockpit, export it with a key pressing (FMC feature) and THEN starting ND, otherwise data are not updated.

I hope i explained correctly.

Sorry for my english

Thanks again

Dylan

i need to prepare the flight plane in the FMC in my cockpit, export it with a key pressing (FMC feature) and THEN starting ND, otherwise data are not updated.

I see. How odd. Have you mentioned this difficulty to the FreeFD author, or is it not in development any more? Obviously it would be preferable for it to have a keypress to tell it to load or reload a plan.

I have added your request to my list and will see if there's a tidy way to implement it in the next WideClient update -- I am actually working on some small improvements there at present. But if, in the mean time, you do arrive at a better solution please do let me know.

Regards,

Pete

Ok thank you very much again.

I had a look and it was quite easy to do. Try this WideClient 6.453, which will work with WideServer 6.45 already released.

The new Run/Close facilities, summarised, are:

In each case N = 1 to 9

RunN= runs program when WideClient starts and when KeySend says to

RunReadyN= runs program when FS is ready to fly and when KeySend says to

RunKeyN= runs program only when KeySend says to

CloseN=... closes program 'RunN' when WideClient closes

CloseReadyN=... closes program 'RunReadyN' when WideClient closes or as controlled by Shut Down options and wideServer hot keys.

CloseKeyN=... same as CloseReady, but for RunKeyN program.

Then there are these new parameters for KeySend. As usual, the KeySend number M can be anything from 1 to 255:

KeySendM=RunN to run the RunN program if not running now

KeySendM=RunReadyN to run the RunReadyN program if not running now

KeySendM=RunKeyN to run the RunKeyN program if not running now

KeySendM=CloseN to close the RunN program if it is running

KeySendM=CloseReadyN to close the RunReadyN program if it is running

KeySendM=CloseKeyN to close the RunKeyN program if it is running

I think this covers all the angles. Let me know how you get on!

OUCH! OUCH!

I am not allowed to add this small attachments!

I'll be back soon ...

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

thank you very much for the file, it really works great.

I only have a question: is it normal that i'm not allowed to send keys to the application started by "runkey" ?

My old client.ini was :

[user]

Log=Errors+

ActionKeys=Yes

Run1=c:\freefd\eicas.exe

Run2=c:\freefd\nd.exe

KeySend1=83,8,Run1

KeySend2=86,8,Run1

KeySend3=65,8,Run2

KeySend4=73,8,Run2

ecc...

and i could send keys to the appropriate application correctly.

The new client.ini:

[user]

Log=Errors+

ActionKeys=Yes

Run1=c:\freefd\eicas.exe

Runkey2=c:\freefd\nd.exe

KeySend1=83,8,Run1

KeySend2=86,8,Run1

KeySend3=65,8,Runkey2 ---> NOT SENDING

KeySend4=73,8,Runkey2 ---> NOT SENDING

KeySend5=............

Keysend24=Runkey2 ---> the key to activate nd.exe

but it seems not possible to send keys to nd.exe application anymore.

Thanks again

Dylan

I only have a question: is it normal that i'm not allowed to send keys to the application started by "runkey" ?

AhI've not changed that part yet. I only added the facility to start and stop programs via KeySend. Ooops! [This is what comes of adding facilities for folks ad hoc!]

I'll add this and send you a revised version. It may be tomorrow (Monday) now though.

Regards,

Pete