The simFlight Network Forums

Autopilot Design

I am interested in designing my own autopilot control code and use Flight Simulator to test it. Is it possible to use the FS autopilot to maintain a command pitch and bank that my code would provide? This would allow me to test the outter loop of the autopilot while FS handles the inner loop.

Also, what is the best way of controlling the aileron and elevator deflection using FSUIPC for the inner loop design?

Mark

I am interested in designing my own autopilot control code and use Flight Simulator to test it. Is it possible to use the FS autopilot to maintain a command pitch and bank that my code would provide?

Not directly, no. The FS autopilot works on headings and V/S with given target altitudes. You could try varying these until you achieve the pitch and bank you require, but I tend to think that it maintains a fixed bank till close to the heading, so it would be difficult at least for bank. You might be able to control pitch that way though.

FSUIPC itself contains some (experimental) feedback controls for both pitch and bank, which work quite well for most aircraft I've tested it with. Download the FSUIPC SDK and check the FSUIPC feedback control text document inside. There's also a speed/mach control included which isn't quite as successful (it needs optimising, as it tends to overcontrol a bit).

Also, what is the best way of controlling the aileron and elevator deflection using FSUIPC for the inner loop design?

If you use the facilities I just mentioned you don't need to do that directly. I am particularly proud of the pitch control facility, in fact, because FSUIPC adjusts the pitch first by elevator, then trims the pressure out, just like a real pilot/autopilot would do.

Surprisingly, although these FSUIPC facilities have been available for many months now, I've had no feedback at all. Project Magenta's autopilot was going to be the first user, but Enrico Schiratti, the author, has been rather overwhelmed with other pressures.

So, if you do use the facilities, please keep in touch about how you are getting on.

Regards,

Pete