The simFlight Network Forums

Very general question

I am just starting to have a look at FSUIPC and WideFS, and have a very general question.

Let's say we have two machines. Machine A is running FS2004, and WideServer. Machine B is running WideClient and a custom application. Is there a way that the custom application running on Machine B can send application-specific data through the FSUIPC/WideFS system over to Machine A, and have that data somehow available to a gauge that is running on the panel of the active aircraft in FS? I'm assuming here that the gauge would be using the internal client interface to FSUIPC.

Thank you for any info,

Dave

Let's say we have two machines. Machine A is running FS2004, and WideServer. Machine B is running WideClient and a custom application. Is there a way that the custom application running on Machine B can send application-specific data through the FSUIPC/WideFS system over to Machine A, and have that data somehow available to a gauge that is running on the panel of the active aircraft in FS? I'm assuming here that the gauge would be using the internal client interface to FSUIPC.

Yes, certainly. For example, such communication is done profusely between the several (external) modules of Project magenta -- spread over several PCs -- and by ActiveSky and FSMeteo. Both the latter have gauge or module components. Even some of the more advanced aircraft panels use these methods for communicating between internal components in FS.

This is done via specially allocated areas of FSUIPC's offset memory. The allocations are made on request to myself -- it is done this way so that different applications do not clash with each other and corrupt each other's data.

Because there is a limited space available (without considerable changes to FSUIPC and, especially WideFS), I ask applicants to work out their needs in advance, with due consideration for economy (for instance, using bits for TRUE/FALSE flags, not bytes or words, and so on -- i.e. only using the space that's needed). If you need to discuss details, write to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

Regards,

Pete