The simFlight Network Forums

fighting the taxi - wind effect. The new approach

Hello Pete, everyone

I have an idea on how to extend the "automated taxi wind" option of the fsuipc, to get rid of the problem with the airplane slips aside from the centerline on touchdown, because of the Xwind correction like the "low wing" or "crabbing", which kept the airplane properly aligned with the rwy centerline on approach, suddenly becomes unnucessary due to the new 1kts ground wind

The idea is to make the XWind velocity dependant upon the GS of the airplane, as described below.

----------------------------------

1. Split the ATIS wind for the given airfield into the Xwind and HeadWind components

2. k=min (abs(GS) / max (min ((Airplane gross weight)/20000,1.5),1) - 20, 30) /30;

from 0 to 20kts gs : effective Xwind = 0;

>20kts gs : effective Xwind = (Actual XWind) * k;

Effective HeadWind = Actual Head Wind; // no changes for the head/tail w.

3. Construct the effective wind from the effective XWind and HeadWind and apply it to the msfs

-----------------------------------

where the Actual wind - is the "ATIS" wind for the given field,

Effective wind - is the one we apply to the airplane

The (2) expression will smoothly increase the effective Xwind on takeoff roll to the full extend , which will depend upon the aircraft weight- to simulate the sidewind affecting the heavier ACs less. For the heaviest planes the wind reduction GS will begin at 75 kts, for the light plane it will be 50 kts

P.S. Although the exact multipliers might be not 100% correct for every type of plane, I believe this method should be able so simulate the wind effect more realistically. Especially on approach and flare.

What do you think ?

Thanks a lot !

regards

Oleksiy Frolov

I have an idea on how to extend the "automated taxi wind" option of the fsuipcsuddenly becomes unnucessary due to the new 1kts ground wind

Personally I've not found the taxi wind to be needed in FS2004 as it was in previous versions, so I never use it. I really thought it was more for beginners?

Of course it wasn't implemented in FS2004 for the first year or so because I couldn't find a way to influence the wind directly. So maybe I became more proficient! :o :? :wink:

The idea is to make the XWind velocity dependant upon the GS of the airplane, as described below.

The idea is interesting, though it is complicated also by the wind smoothing option, especially on take off. When you say "ATIS wind" that isn't necessarily the real wind affecting the aircraft. I would be acting on the "ambient" wind, which is also the only one I can control directly -- providing I rewrite it every frame, which I do.

What do you think ?

If you would like to try it I will take a look and maybe will send you a special test version of FSUIPC by email. You test it on assorted aircraft and let me know (there's no point in my evaluating it as I am reasonably happy without taxi wind at all). After the next version (3.47) which I hope to release within a week, There will have to be a longer gap (other commitments plus a holiday!), so maybe I'll send something to try this weekend.

Maybe I have to call this "progressive taxi wind" or "proportional taxi wind" and still allow beginners to use 1 knot? :wink:

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete

Thanks for the quick answer. I would definitelly try it, as this rapid wind change when on the ground is a very big concern at our Dash8 Procedure Trainer which we've built for the CATIII head up display pilot training.

regards

Oleksiy

Cause this will cause the wind velocity to fade slowly to become still at the touchdown, which is not realistic, cause the pilot has to adapt the Wind Correction Angle all the time.

Usually wind fades very slowly as you descend on a slope, so not much correction is necessary, and becomes approx 50% of say, 2000 AGL wind when you are at the rwy

Ol.

Cause this will cause the wind velocity to fade slowly to become still at the touchdown, which is not realistic, cause the pilot has to adapt the Wind Correction Angle all the time.

Usually wind fades very slowly as you descend on a slope, so not much correction is necessary, and becomes approx 50% of say, 2000 AGL wind when you are at the rwy

Although I never tried the smoothing + taxi wind combination. It might help with landings by not letting the fsuipc to set 1 kts wind immediatelly upon a touchdown . Or will it not ?

However, all the other problems, like the headwind on taxi and the landing/takeoff distances will not be solved

:)

Ol.