The simFlight Network Forums

Elevator Trim

Hi,

I am a student working on a flight sim in Ireland, you my have been talking to some of the others also working on it.

We have a control column from a 737 and the main electric trim switches on the column have been wired up. I am trying to get functionality for them in FS2002 but Elevator Trim Up/Down controls do not appear in FSUIPC. Can I call them out in the FSUIPC.ini file by using there 5 digit code or are they actually in FSUIPC under a different name as I have seen both Elev Up/Down and Elevator Up/Down?

Also having trouble calibrating flight controls! They are working in FSUIPC but in flight the aircraft is only level in roll when the wheel is turn thru more than 45 degrees to the left. Is this a problem with FSUIPC or does it go back to the EPIC coding?

Sláinte

Ned

I am trying to get functionality for them in FS2002 but Elevator Trim Up/Down controls do not appear in FSUIPC. Can I call them out in the FSUIPC.ini file by using there 5 digit code or are they actually in FSUIPC under a different name as I have seen both Elev Up/Down and Elevator Up/Down?

Why would you need FSUIPC to assign trim controls? They are standard FS assignable controls. Did you check the FS Options-Controls-Assignments list?

They are assigned by default on the keyboard as:

ELEV_TRIM_DN=36,8 (Home, or number pad 7 with NumLock off)

ELEV_TRIM_UP=35,8 (End, or number pade 1 with NumLock off)

These are lines from the FS2002.CFG file. The names here are the names you will see in the FSUIPC drop down list too. How did you miss them?

FSUIPC only lists things by their 'official' names according to FS -- the names are those actually listed in their CONTROLS.DLL and included in the "List of FSxxxx Controls" documents available on http://www.schiratti.com/dowson. Also, they are the control names seen in the FS CFG file against the key presses and button assignments it makes.

Also having trouble calibrating flight controls! They are working in FSUIPC but in flight the aircraft is only level in roll when the wheel is turn thru more than 45 degrees to the left.

You've not calibrated them correctly then. Calibrate them properly in Windows game controllers first, and get them working in FS. Why are you using FSUIPC for this?

Is this a problem with FSUIPC or does it go back to the EPIC coding?

Neither is likely. It seems to be a problem with them not being calibrated correctly. FSUIPC is merely a way of getting more accurate end points and centres, with response curves and filters. But you need to get things working properly BEFORE attempting to use FSUIPC. Start again from first principles. Use FSUIPC when everything is pretty good.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Got it all working now. Found the trim assignments in FSUIPC. I had been looking for elevator trim up/down when they were under Trim up/down. Have to use FSUIPC to assign them because assignments in FS2002 won't save and we don't know how to program in epl to do it through EPIC.

I had previously calibrated the controls and had them working in windows controllers but they still wouldn't work in FS properly although I had refined then in FSUIPC subsequently. Working fine now, so don't really know what I was doing wrong.

Thanks for the advice again.

Ned

Found the trim assignments in FSUIPC. I had been looking for elevator trim up/down when they were under Trim up/down.

They are listed as "Elev trim dn" and "Elev trim up" in my FS2002 installation. Are you using some substitute FS CONTROLS.DLL? The names in FSUIPC's Keys and Buttons drop-downs are obtained from there.

Have to use FSUIPC to assign them because assignments in FS2002 won't save

That's rather odd. Is your FS CFG file write protected?

Pete