The simFlight Network Forums

Crab Heat for Jets in PFC 1.92

Hi Peter,

I just installed the v1.92 of the PFC DLL. I noticed that the carb heat (ALT AIR SWITCH) on my Cirrus II panel no longer functioned.

I checked out the settings and noticed that Carb Heat is assigned only to the JET controls. There is no selection for PISTON A/C. Can it be added?

Cheers!

Best regards,

Nick Papadopoli, P.Eng.

President / Technical Director

Montreal AeroPlus

http://www.MontrealAeroPlus.com

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the tip. However, the people that own PFC controls are not required to buy FSUIPC so they normally won't have it. The PFC doesn't have a choice for it (see http://www.montrealaeroplus.com/public/ALTair.jpg)

I'm assuming that this is something that both Peter D and PFC would like resolved.

By-the-way, what kind of setup are you running? We've got 5 screens on 1 PC using BugEye and Parheleia + ATI with twin GPS on a Touch screen http://www.montrealaeroplus.com/public/BE1_GPS.jpg). The only problem is stuttering every 12 sec. I don't know if its the DLL?

Regards....

Nick,

However, the people that own PFC controls are not required to buy FSUIPC

you're right. I didn't think about that. Mine was registered from the beginning. You miss a lot with an unregistered copy. For instance I have programmed all the GPS buttons (that are unusable in FS otherwise) to operate the FS GPS and much more (windsmoothing etc.)

Anyway my tip is not a solution but only a workaround. Your original problem is something Pete would have to deal with when he's back from holidays I think.

By-the-way, what kind of setup are you running?

I have a Cirrus2 and Digital Avionics with Remote Instrument Controller. It's the ideal setup for my favourite aircraft, the Baron. My computer is a P4 3.2GHz on Intel875P mainboard, 1GB of RAM, Geforce FX 5900 ultra and a 19" flatscreen made by Samsung (Syncmaster 191T). I'm quite happy with it :) .

The only problem is stuttering every 12 sec. I don't know if its the DLL?

Well your setup sound a bit demanding but first of all I would check what is running alongside FS. Possible culprits are virus scanners, email checkers, messengers... all that.

I remember that on my old computer the Epson print monitor did something similar, checking the LPT port regularly even if there was nothing to be printed and the printer was off.

Regards,

Frank

P.S.: Oh by the way, the links you posted didn't work. Page not found.

Thanks for the additional information. The PC is an AM64 with 1Gb RAM and SATA Hdisk using WinXP SP1. Its dedicated to FS so everything has been shut down. However, you've given me inspiration to look even deeper. I may have missed one. I'll check the registry.

Sorry about the links. I just noticed that there is an extra character at the end of each link ")". Here they are again:

http://www.montrealaeroplus.com/public/ALTair.jpg

As you'll see here we have a C2 also....

http://www.montrealaeroplus.com/public/BE1_GPS.jpg

Cheers!

Hi Nick,

As you'll see here we have a C2 also....

nice setup you have there, the PFC equipment looks abit modified :wink:

You're also using the Baron?

I've modified the panel to better cooperate with the PFC stuff.

I'll try to attach a pic.

Regards,

Frank

Panel2.jpg

post-4507-128689115668_thumb.jpg

That's very nice work Frank!

We've modified the PFC equipment to better reflect a real cockpit. As a commercial pilot with multi-IFR experience, it is very important that any experience picked up in the Sim be easily transfered to the real aircraft.

Naturally there are some limititaions such as the main front view which is a BugEye screen, which has to be centered with the pilot. The result is shown in the picture previously posted.

We are currently building another Sim which uses a real aircraft fuselage (see http://www.montrealaeroplus.com/images/JS1_Controls.jpg ). In this case we are using SimKits guages and our own Dual Yoke Design which has built-in electric trim. We're hoping to offer this for sale to the public sometime this year. This setup also uses Wideview for a projected set of outside visuals.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the v1.92 of the PFC DLL. I noticed that the carb heat (ALT AIR SWITCH) on my Cirrus II panel no longer functioned.

I checked out the settings and noticed that Carb Heat is assigned only to the JET controls. There is no selection for PISTON A/C. Can it be added?

That has not been changed. The ALT AIR switch is assigned to the Carb Heat/Anti-Ice control in both columns "Actions with JET" and "Actions with PROP etc". They can be re-programmed, of course, but that is how they operate by default. If you want to reassign the defaults, press the "Predefined Set" button at the bottom right.

The Carb Heat/Anti-Ice control is one of the controls listed in PFC.DLLs drop-down list too, so you can also assign it to other buttons should you so wish.

Regards,

Pete

... the people that own PFC controls are not required to buy FSUIPC so they normally won't have it. The PFC doesn't have a choice for it

1) PFC.DLL assigns the ALt Air switch to the "Carb Heat/Anti-Ice" control by default, on bith Jeys and Props.

2) The "Carb Heat/Anti-Ice" control is in PFC.DLL's drop down losts of controls which can be programmed in any case. You do not need FSUIPC for controls suported already in PFC.DLL.

I'm assuming that this is something that both Peter D and PFC would like resolved.

I'm not sure what resolution is possible for something that's never been changed and which works fine. Perhaps you could explain in more detail if you don't get the correct control programmed by default?

The only problem is stuttering every 12 sec. I don't know if its the DLL?

Why should it be? Normally regular stuttering like that is due to another process running automatically in your PC, like virus checking, memory optimising, TCP/IP address resolving, etc. Check all your background processes, kill those you don't need.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure if I have a some other problem, but when I load PFC v1913, it has the "Carb Heat/Anti-Ice" control by default, on both Jets and Props.

However, when I load v1.920, the "Carb Heat/Anti-Ice" is simply not there for the Prop (see screen shot).

Best Regards....

post-10858-128689123269_thumb.jpg

However, when I load v1.920, the "Carb Heat/Anti-Ice" is simply not there for the Prop (see screen shot).

That's weird, because exactly the same list is used for both! It's the same list in all the cases where you can re-program buttons in PFC.DLL.

I can't get such a thing to happen here no matter what I do, on any of three different PCs.

This is also not an area which has been subject to any change whatsoever, since the facilities were first programmed.

Very odd. If I can think of any way to find out what's going on there I'll get back to you. Meanwhile, can you check the same drop-downs for all the other buttons, and on the other pages in the dialogue please? Maybe if there's some pattern to it something will become clearer.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks again Peter...

I'll check it out as soon as possible.

One other point, I did as you said and pressed the "Predefined Set" button. That caused the drop-down list to restore itself to the same one as the Jet. The "Carb Heat/Anti-Ice" selection appeared for the Prop!

I'll try to figure out a pattern if possible.

Best regards...

I'll try to figure out a pattern if possible.

No need. I managed to reproduce it here.

The problem is that the "Carb heat/Anti-ice" control mistakenly got marked as a PM control, so it only gets listed in the drop-down list if the "PM controls" option is set.

This error was not new to version 1.92, it has always been there! Surprisingly no one came across it before.

Anyway, the fix was easy. Here's interim release 1.921 with it fixed.

Regards,

Pete

PFCDLL1921.zip