The simFlight Network Forums

Widefs question

Pete, just a quick question. I have had widefs lose the connection to my client computer, and won't reconnect. It only happens every so often. My question is that if I use the hotkey "RestartHotKey=78,11" setting listed in the documentation in the .ini........this should kickstart it back on?! I assume that it will, I just wanted to confirm. I couldn't find this confirmed in the forum. That is the most simple fix for this is my guess. Like I said, it only happens the odd time. Thanks.

Bruce

Pete, just a quick question. I have had widefs lose the connection to my client computer, and won't reconnect. It only happens every so often.

That's rather strange. Doesn't it give any clues as to why, an error message or something?

My question is that if I use the hotkey "RestartHotKey=78,11" setting listed in the documentation in the .ini........this should kickstart it back on?

I don't know. Basically it closes the server port and re-opens it so forcing everything to re-connect, so it is more of a restart than just the client trying to reconnect. But whether this will reset whatever is stuck on your Network I couldn't say. You'd have to try it.

What normally clears it? For instance, if you close down FS and restart it, effecting restarting WideServer the log way, and that clears it, then restarting WideServer in situ using the hotkey may well really do the same. But it will depend on the cause.

The fact that it happens does indicate something rather dodgy going on in the server PC. For instance, if it's due to a memory leak in FS or an accessory which is gradually using up real memory space until the buffering on the network is affected, then restarting WideServer without FS and the add-ons may not clear the cause. There are some known FS memory leaks -- one, I understand, can happen just by placing certain scenery types (autogen?) in the wrong folder (Addon scenery folder?). I'm not sure of the details, I just recall reading these things.

Maybe, after trying the WideServer restart, if that doesn't help, or only helps for a short time (i.e. re-using the little space freed by closing the server port), you should ask around, for instance in the FS2004 forum, and see if you can discover other possible causes.

Regards,

Pete