The simFlight Network Forums

Offset Request

Hello again,

I've done a search for "water" & "rudder" in the Programmers.doc and this forum, to find the offset for the water rudder, up/down position so I can program GFDisplay. My guess is FS2004 uses a different name or something.

What I'm trying to do is have an LED on my GF-RP48 provide a flashing or on indication to show the position of a water rudder.

If the water rudder is up, the LED would be off, flashing while transitioning and on when the rudder is extented.

I've also had a look in FSInterregator.

Would someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Joe

I've done a search for "water" & "rudder" in the Programmers.doc and this forum, to find the offset for the water rudder, up/down position so I can program GFDisplay. My guess is FS2004 uses a different name or something.

I don't know. I'm not aware of a water rudder, I thought that would be in a boat simulator. Is this something for float planes? Is it part of FS or part of an add-on aircraft? What control do you use to operate it?

If the water rudder is up, the LED would be off, flashing while transitioning and on when the rudder is extented.

I've also had a look in FSInterregator.

FsInterroge would tend mostly to only find things which are already known. It was different in FS98 days when the interface was a simple window to FS globals. These days I have to analyse FS internal code to find and extract each snippet of data.

Regards

Pete

I don't know. I'm not aware of a water rudder, I thought that would be in a boat simulator. Is this something for float planes? Is it part of FS or part of an add-on aircraft? What control do you use to operate it?
66482 TOGGLE_WATER_RUDDER

The default aircraft, Cessna Caravan is a waterplane and has little rudders on the pontoons.

I have another GFDisplay question though, I have a GF-T8 switch assigned to TOGGLE_GPS_DRIVES_NAV1 (66375) I have the LED working correctly, but when I throw another switch on the same T8, the indicator for the NAV/GPS switch goes blank. Is there something else I missed in the docs?

Many Thanks,

Joe

66482 TOGGLE_WATER_RUDDER

The default aircraft, Cessna Caravan is a waterplane and has little rudders on the pontoons.

Okay. I don't know if I can find the state, but if it's a "toggle" then it may only indicate on or off (down or up?) not whether it is moving. Is the rudder actually animated?

I have another GFDisplay question though, I have a GF-T8 switch assigned to TOGGLE_GPS_DRIVES_NAV1 (66375) I have the LED working correctly, but when I throw another switch on the same T8, the indicator for the NAV/GPS switch goes blank. Is there something else I missed in the docs?

Throwing a switch in itself is nothing to do with GFdisplay, unless you have programmed it so. Do you have the T8 also being driven by GoFlight's own drivers? If so then I think it will clear the LEDs on all sorts of occasions. On the FS PC this will be a GoFlight DLL in the FS modules folder. I think the current GF drivers do this even if you tell them that specific displays aren't programmed -- Doyle (GF proprietor) did say he would be making new drivers to avoid this. Check the GF website and ask there if nothing is evident.

Regards,

Pete

Okay. I don't know if I can find the state, but if it's a "toggle" then it may only indicate on or off (down or up?) not whether it is moving. Is the rudder actually animated?
Yes.

I've made a note to see if I can get the water rudder information easily or not, but I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks at least.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a note to see if I can get the water rudder information easily or not ...

All I've managed to find is a value which indicates whether the water rudder is up or down. And you can write to it to operate it too. But I cannot find anything which shows it moving. That animation may be part of the modelling rather than a simulation engine value.

I've mapped it in FSUIPC to offset 2A9E. It is a 16-bit wordk. When the rudder is raised it returns 0, when lowered it returns 16256 (an odd amount -- I wonder if it is aircraft-dependent?).

Writing 16256 to this offset will lower the rudder, any other value raises it -- but I would recommend sticking to zero for this.

This change is in the attached interim test version of FSUIPC, 3.481.

Regards,

Pete

FSUIPC3481test.zip

All I've managed to find is a value which indicates whether the water rudder is up or down.... But I cannot find anything which shows it moving. That animation may be part of the modelling rather than a simulation engine value.
Well, I figure if it's not up or down, it's moving. So I assume it's in motion until the min or max value is reached.

Thanks for the update!

Joe

Well, I figure if it's not up or down, it's moving. So I assume it's in motion until the min or max value is reached.

Well, that's the trouble. It reflects more the state of the switch or lever -- its either zero or 16256. It doesn't appear to offer any intermediate values.

Pete

Well, that's the trouble. It reflects more the state of the switch or lever -- its either zero or 16256. It doesn't appear to offer any intermediate values.

Pete

It doesn't really matter. It doesn't take as long for the rudders to transition as much as it does for the wings. I've added the appropriate code to my GFDisplay.ini file, and it works just fine.

Thanks again,

Joe