The simFlight Network Forums

Strange CTD while loading scenery

Hi Pete

This evening I started up FS9 for this first in many weeks, and it immediately crashed while loading "TERRAIN". I then spent more than an hour trying to figure out the problem, doing the usually things e.g. checking that the v9.1 modules hadn't been replaced by older versions, recreating FS9.cfg from scratch, and checking the integrity of the scenery.cfg.

Then I suddenly got the idea to neutralize the Texture_ID=1 value in the Area.001 of the scenery.cfg like this:

[Area.001]

;Texture_ID=1

Title=Default Terrain

Active=TRUE

Layer=1

Local=Scenery\World\

Required=TRUE

I then executed FS9 and of course when it arrived at this entry the following message appeared:

"Scenery read error. Attempting to open a nonexistent directory:. Click ok to continue"

I clicked to continue and FS9 opened without further problems.

My question is why? What has happened to my setup which makes it necessary to remove the value "Texture_ID=1" which is normally default?

Adding the value again to [Area.001] caused FS9 to crash once more.

I know this CTD is presumably unrelated to FSUIPC v3.48 but I have an idea that you might be able to help me solve this enigma. Can you suggest what might be the cause?

Kind regards, David

My question is why? What has happened to my setup which makes it necessary to remove the value "Texture_ID=1" which is normally default?

I'm very sorry, but this is most definitely outside my sphere of knowledge. I really haven't the foggiest idea what that parameter is or what it does. I would suggest asking in the FS2004 Forum, or, better, a scenery designers forum where such things are bound to be understood better.

Sorry.

Regards

Pete