The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with steering when connected

Hi Pete,

I have a problem that I hope you can help me out with. I set up the flight at the gate, and everything is fine. I connect to SB3 and connect to VATSIM and within a few minutes, the tail on the airplane appears to be facing left. And I can't stear with my joystick anymore. It just keeps going left. When I deactivate my joystick and use the keyboard it's ok again, but taking off, it vears off the runway to the left. Really don't know what's going on but it's frustrating. When I reset the flight, the tail is normal again! (View from outside and behind shows the tail facing left) Do you have any ideas on what's causing the problem and how to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

within a few minutes, the tail on the airplane appears to be facing left. And I can't stear with my joystick anymore. It just keeps going left.

If disabling your joystick fixes everything then it sounds like you have an uncalibrated joystick and/or other joystick inputs enabled in FS. Go through all the axis assignments in FS and make sure there's only one assignment per control (if you have more than one joystick connected FS will attempt to assign them all). Then, when you are sure there's only one of everything, calibrate all the axes in the standard Windows way.

When I deactivate my joystick and use the keyboard it's ok again, but taking off, it vears off the runway to the left.

Check the wind -- which direction is it from? If you are veering without the joysticks enabled then it's either wind or an excessive "P-factor" -- reduce realism to about centre for such aircraft. If it is caused by sidewind, either find a runway which has less or use rudder and into wind aileron to compensate. If you have a user-registered FSUIPC you can use the taxi wind option instead.

Regards

Pete